The Snowbird Question

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
It is now September. The Snowbirds are collecting for their flight South (collecting stuff for their suitcases)
I haven't been able to watch all the DR1 forums.
Is there (yet) a definitive answer to the question...
?Can I stay for up to 6 months, in the DR, and only pay the 3m to 9m tariff (RD$1000) at the Airport on the way Home?
???????????
The web site http://www.migracion.gov.do/servtarifas.html
is still showing
"IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA"
Mayor de 3 mese Hasta 9 meses RD$1,000.00

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is now September. The Snowbirds are collecting for their flight South (collecting stuff for their suitcases)
I haven't been able to watch all the DR1 forums.
Is there (yet) a definitive answer to the question...
“Can I stay for up to 6 months, in the DR, and only pay the 3m to 9m tariff (RD$1000) at the Airport on the way Home”
???????????
The web site http://www.migracion.gov.do/servtarifas.html
is still showing
"IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA"
Mayor de 3 mese Hasta 9 meses RD$1,000.00

Lots of threads, lots of rumors, no evidence that any changes have actually been made.

Snowbirds I know are making their plans, unconcerned because they don't read DR1.

The government has not notified airlines, hotels, etc, etc, about any changes. Renters are renting, I know we are in the condominium where I live, and hope we get some long-term renters besides those wanting a week or two.

My advice to you is to be like all the snowbirds who do not read DR1. Make your plans and come on schedule. They are not going to drag you out of your hotel after you have been here a few weeks.

I used to encourage people to read DR1, but not now. After this all blows over I will do so again.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
aname4me, this morning I exchanged emails with friends who own an house in one of the projects. They are Canadian so spend half the year there to keep their benefits and half in their house here. They said that because of a doctor appointment they won't come until early .November, but will stay until sometime in April.

In the Condominium where i live there is a German who always comes about first of October and leaves at end of April.

There is a French couple who also come in October and leaves in April

A Canadian couple comes to their apartment in December and leaves at end of April.

A family from Bermuda spent July 2011 to July 2012 here, went to Bermuda for a month and returned here in early August. Their daughter goes to one of the private schools. They have no plans to leave until at least the end of the school year.

None of these people are changing their plans, none are concerned, none read DR1.

That is just one small sample from a condominium with 18 apartments.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Just have enough cash at your disposal whether it be easily accesible or in a bank account for the potential emergency exit expenses.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just have enough cash at your disposal whether it be easily accesible or in a bank account for the potential emergency exit expenses.

You should always be prepared for a sudden exit. But I personally think that a medical emergency or some other personal emergency is far more likely than for the police or soldiers to drag you to the airport in chains and deport you.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Us gringos have been scattering like the haitians when the police show up to round us up, hiding behind bushes and garbage containers. When I get back to the bar, my ice cold bohemia is gone. Freaken cops are stealing the beer. I'll have to switch to Brahma.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
question related to this. As I read this ... "IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA". Mayor de 3 mese Hasta 9 meses RD$1,000.00"

The airport charged me $800 pesos last time as I was leaving the airport for my stay of a month & 16 days.. Is this correct or did I pay for no reason?

Also I might be migrating there for 2 or 3 months this winter. What should I expect to pay upon exit (with only a tourist card)?

NEVERMIND

I thk I found the answer here http://www.migracion.gov.do/servtarifas.html
& it does say menor de 30 dias hasta 3 meses $800 RD

:classic:

Last edited:

dropshort

May 18, 2008
#7 Yes $800RD was correct, You have no choice but to pay what they say.
#1 Yes, you are correct $1000RD

I paid $4000RD for 15 months the last time.