looking for a mushroom farm

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
it is now narrowed down to Los Montones south of Santiago, which my partner, who is raising the snails is in love with.. OR Constanza, leading out of the new road from Jarabacoa.

We need a CAVE to grown

and we need a field in which to build a campground.

Should I take the months needed to explore Los Montones?

anyone who knows both places .. or even one of them ... is welcome to speak..

together with her husband, we have a collective 36 years of experience in the DR so we can make it anywhere.

but if we are going to do a campground, we need to be closer to tourists.

which convinces me of the Jarabacoa access

I picture that Los Montes is not on the international map so we would be limited to Santiaguerans which means a restuarant rather than a campground.. but would work if there is access to a national park and hiking and rivers....

all voices welcome

particularly if you know the difference between a portabello and a cepes

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I was briefly investigating into that some years ago and contacting the "mushroom growers association" or something like that in Germany they told me that i.e. the Champignon Mushrooms wouldn't grow in tropical countries / climates...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Looks like caribmike is correct.

Button mushroom is grown in winter. The most suitable temperature for the spread of the mycelium is 24-25?C, while 16-18?C is essential for the formation of fruit bodies.Higher temperature is harmful and low temperature retards the development of both mushroom mycelium and fruit bodies.

Source: Button Mushroom (khumbi) cultivation technology

I know the OP was looking for a cave for her Mushroom Resort. Perhaps one exists somewhere in the DR with the proper temperature of 16-18?C? Finding such a cave in a tourist area does seem to be too much to ask.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Looks like caribmike is correct.

Source: Button Mushroom (khumbi) cultivation technology

I know the OP was looking for a cave for her Mushroom Resort. Perhaps one exists somewhere in the DR with the proper temperature of 16-18?C? Finding such a cave in a tourist area does seem to be too much to ask.

well TWO of us intuitives.. we got mushrooms on our mind.... they grow in Mexico.... the psychadelic ones, anyway.. not that we are thinking of that one.

But we have collective experience in kitchen gardens and snails and rabbits (although she had to give it up because she could not kill them, rabbits are psychic.

Guess we just need the Cave.

We are primarily going to start a school.. preferably a summer camping school.. with French, English, gardening, cooking and some sports.. so it would be great to find a place ll like a pool in a river, where we can teach swimming and practice... although maybe we could do lessons in a pool. We collectively,,, five of us ..pretty full of talent.. like celestial navigation, advanced scuba diving, sailing, cooking, camping, did I say teaching?

Plus Reiki and reflexolgy

so forget the mushrooms til we figure out which ones grow here. I know that we have edible mushrooms in Las Terrenas.

Three of the tribe are French, and they know their mushrooms

I think we could be an asset to any community

or at least we have always proven to be so in the past

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Mushrooms in LT?

I know that we have edible mushrooms in Las Terrenas.
Where?
What kind?

So far I have only seen dried or canned mushrooms in the supermarkets... :classic:

The ones growing in my patio after a spell of rain I would not want to eat... in fact, I weed them out, so that the dogs won't eat them.

donP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Where?
What kind?

So far I have only seen dried or canned mushrooms in the supermarkets... :classic:

The ones growing in my patio after a spell of rain I would not want to eat... in fact, I weed them out, so that the dogs won't eat them.

donP
]]ah for zee information you will have to book a special tour of the snail nursery

you have to know the mushrooms

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Where?
What kind?

donP

This I am doing as well, weeding out unknown mushrooms in our garden, to protect the doggies.

But - fresh button mushrooms we can buy here in severeal supermarkets. The only problem is the price -
increible.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where?
What kind?

donP

I've purchased packaged fresh mushrooms in the produce section of supermarkets in Santo Domingo, last time was at Jumbo.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Pleurotus ostreatus

I've purchased packaged fresh mushrooms in the produce section of supermarkets in Santo Domingo, last time was at Jumbo.

Hmm, yes, I remember having seen small transparent containers with mushrooms... the problem, I can't remember where.... :cross-eye
It may even have been here in LT, SM Lindo.

Anyway, the internet is full of "How to cultivate mushrooms" pages.
I don't see why oyster mushrooms could not thrive here.

We even have a small cave on our property where we could try. ;) : bunny:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Snails and Frogs

my partner, who is raising the snails...
you will have to book a special tour of the snail nursery

You bet. :classic:
As long as there are tender pork filets I don't care about those slimy bastards. :tired:

Three of the tribe are French, (...) I think we could be an asset to any community

Las Terrenas maybe?
Will the many French there eat your snails? :rolleyes:

If not you can switch to frogs. :bunny:
We have plenty at our finca.
You can have them all.

You will have to book a special tour, though........ :classic:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one: you need to be higher up for a colder climate, or need A/C: you are looking at 12-20 celsius for growing throughout the year.
two: forget the cave. low building, kinda like a barn. board all the windows, it needs to be dark. you will need fresh air access (ventilation system). then compost with mycelium (?) - mushroom spawn, i think it is called. you will only get few crops from one set of mycelium.

i do not think it is a good idea, in all. unless it is a mass production it cannot be in any way profitable.

and i know my mushrooms :)

May 29, 2006
Depends on how you define profitable, I suppose. I wonder what local knowledge there is about wild mushrooms. I bet at altitude, temp wouldn't be an issue. I know that in Japan, the grow many mushrooms on stumps in forests and a friend of mine grows some variety on some dead/dying trees he has on his lot. The kit he uses has spores in plugs--you drill into the tree, pound in the plugs and wait a year.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are many kinds of mushrooms and many methods of growing. the one described above is for agaricus from agaricaceae family, the most common, in english simply referred as mushroom (white cap and stem).
5wcuau.jpg

the one you are talking about may be pleurotus, very tasty fungi. it is easy to grow: stuff a bag with some finely shredded hay mixed with mycelium, place in a basement or dark cold room. cut holes in a bag in regular intervals. the fungi will grow beautifully.
161eyvn.jpg

i think maintaining the right temperature and providing ventilation will be too expensive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
now i am thinking maybe a cave ain't bad, the temperature underground is significantly lower than than above ground and very stable. in europe it would be below 20 degrees celsius, perfect for fungi. i am not sure about here as the temperature ranges a bit depending on the location and depth.
you can buy mushroom growing kits on amazon too, from about 6 dollars to 30 or so (depends of the kind). shipping weight is from pound to even 6.
i would like to see what will aduanas classify that as. they must have no clue :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
You bet. :classic:
As long as there are tender pork filets I don't care about those slimy bastards. :tired:

Las Terrenas maybe?
Will the many French there eat your snails? :rolleyes:

If not you can switch to frogs. :bunny:
We have plenty at our finca.
You can have them all.

You will have to book a special tour, though........ :classic:

donP

They are in Las Terrenas and want to move

save those frogs.. they are disappearing all over the world,. you are blessed to have them

of course, they should be in the swamp

but they built the village there.. so the frogs have moved to your mountain!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
one: you need to be higher up for a colder climate, or need A/C: you are looking at 12-20 celsius for growing throughout the year.
two: forget the cave. low building, kinda like a barn. board all the windows, it needs to be dark. you will need fresh air access (ventilation system). then compost with mycelium (?) - mushroom spawn, i think it is called. you will only get few crops from one set of mycelium.

i do not think it is a good idea, in all. unless it is a mass production it cannot be in any way profitable.

and i know my mushrooms :)

I have no illusions that the mushroom business will be profitable.. just somehow that that was what was up for us//

a cave.. a campground.. mushrooms.. Who knows what is going on?