Shipping a Car to DR

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
Question.. i want to ship my car to DR It's model 2007 but it was manufactured on 2006, Wonder if that will be a problem to meet the 5 years law.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Check with your shipper. It's been stated here several times that they go by the model year, which means 2007. Which also means it has to arrive there before the end of this year, assuming that's true.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Shipping to the DR is very expensive not worth the hassle unless you're permanently moving there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Check with your shipper. It's been stated here several times that they go by the model year, which means 2007. Which also means it has to arrive there before the end of this year, assuming that's true.

Ms AE is correct on all counts.
There is a lot of info here on auto importation.

One thing for sure, calendar year is the yardstick.

The advantage of importing is knowing the vehicle.
The consensus is that there is no $$ savings w/o the residency allowance, but you may a special interest in this car and feel it will be worthwhile.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
WW, he may also be a "returning Dominican", in which case he doesn't need the residency allowance, he's allowed to bring in one car at any time, as long as he says he's moving back to DR.

We have a close personal friend who handles the cars when they arrive in DR, she does everything, it's her own business; she says there's not much difference in the tax savings between the two. She's a very trustworthy woman named Jacqueline Sanchez. If anyone is interested in her contact info, send me a message.

Jan 9, 2004
A 2007 vehicle has until June 30, 2013 to arrive in port.

I have shipped three vehicles over the years and I also have a client who has dealerships in the US and also in San Francisco de Macoris.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW, he may also be a "returning Dominican", in which case he doesn't need the residency allowance, he's allowed to bring in one car at any time, as long as he says he's moving back to DR.

We have a close personal friend who handles the cars when they arrive in DR, she does everything, it's her own business; she says there's not much difference in the tax savings between the two. She's a very trustworthy woman named Jacqueline Sanchez. If anyone is interested in her contact info, send me a message.

I would love to know her thoughts on whether it is better to import (w/o any allowance) or to purchase in RD - from a cost standpoint.

If we had someone trustworthy to take the vehicle thru the various importation stages, it should really simplify the process.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Me think importing car is not worth it unless you can get some tax break. Even I with that tax break I wouldn't think about importing unless it's Lexus/Toyota SUV. I thought about bringing in a my Hyundai, I priced it out from multiple places but it wasn't worth it. I suffered the loss and sold it for dealer asking price to my cousin.