Basic Battries - ripped off?

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
What does the average person pay for AA batteries at a colmado in DR?

I suspect because of my white skin, I've been repeatedly ripped off...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
What does the average person pay for AA batteries at a colmado in DR?

I suspect because of my white skin, I've been repeatedly ripped off...

Just like anywhere, it depends completely on the brand. Ray-o-vac in the plastic wrappers are like 10 pesos a piece and they suck..

OTOH, it's pretty unlikely a colmado is going to rip people off intentionally, they are places meant for locals and people that need to get a fair deal.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Calmados are like 7-11's in the US. You will pay more for the convenience then you will in a large supermarket or electronics store.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
AA batteries do seem to be expensive here. Long ago I went with NiMH batteries and a recharger.
And yes I imported those rechargeable batteries and the charger because they are also expensive here.

Probably the best price I have seen for batteries was in PriceSmart but I don't recall the deal.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We needed AA batteries [I always pack a lot of them, but not enough apparently] and bought them at La Sirena. I think they were just a bit over 100 pesos [115??]- just don't remember if there were 2 or 4.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the cheapest you can can, no brand batteries will be 10 pesos each. duracell should be below 80 pesos for two.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Long ago I went with NiMH batteries and a recharger.
And yes I imported those rechargeable batteries and the charger because they are also expensive here.

I do the same. I have found that the Sanyo Eneloop batteries are the best.

You have an initial investment in batteries and charger, but over time you save a lot of money if you use a lot of batteries. Plus the convenience of always having batteries on hand without going to a store to buy more.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Eneloop Rechargeables

I have found that the Sanyo Eneloop batteries are the best.

Same here.
However, there are gadgets which do need the higher 1.5 V of batteries in order to have their max. performance (like the transmitting power in our Standard C-408* radios), and yes, DURACELL are better than others.

Yet, in most cases the Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables with 1.2V are an excellent option.

donP

*)
It is a shame they are no longer made.
Well, I have 19 of them... :classic:

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sanyo Eneloops may not work in some cameras because of the lower voltage. I am quite sure they won't work in my digital camera at only 1.2 Volts. I have yet to use them but have used 4 other brands and they all have their differences on shelf life, capacity and voltage.

If I were to buy them I would probably import them as I have my other batteries.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sanyo Eneloops may not work in some cameras because of the lower voltage. I am quite sure they won't work in my digital camera at only 1.2 Volts. I have yet to use them but have used 4 other brands and they all have their differences on shelf life, capacity and voltage.

If I were to buy them I would probably import them as I have my other batteries.

I also import them.

I have used them in 4 cameras. My present camera is a Canon 60D. They work fine.

So far I have never had one of these fail. Can't say the same for others I have used. They also hold their charge in storage longer than others I have used.

Sep 4, 2012
In most cases, batteries sold in the DR are a POS. None of them last long enough, nor do they have the juice to provide electronics with the right amount of juice. Viva Amazon!