Children's Names

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The Minister of Home Affairs, wants to control the freedom to choose the name of a baby at the registration of the birth at least a little bit. Now it happens that a son or daughter is named to a famous car brand. For example, Mazda, Kia and Porsche are already common. But parents have also registered their son as James Bond Cero Cero Siete (007) with the surname Carrion Vargas! It is remarkable that names like Winston Churchill, Bruce Lee, Kennedy and even Stalin and Hitler are frequent. But it can be even crazier! Also, children have been registered with names like Herpes, nose or Without Anus.[/h]
[h=5]James Bond Cero Cero Siete[/h] [h=5]The minister asks what's wrong with Christian names like Jos?, Nicolas, Jes?s, Ilana, Annabel or Mary.[/h]

Dec 26, 2011
The Minister of Home Affairs will have less to worry about when the Minister of Education does their job properly.

"Christian" names aren't always better. Kennedy sounds a lot better than Confesora. :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
pollo gringo said:
"Christian" names aren't always better. Kennedy sounds a lot better than Confesora.
Or Angustias.

Ken said:
The minister asks what's wrong with Christian names like Jos?, Nicolas, Jes?s, Ilana, Annabel or Mary.
Did he really use "Ilana" as an example of a Christian name?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
It was on the news a few years ago that the Venezuelan Government had to forbid the use of certain names, includling "Hitler" and "Superman".

I Know other countries do the same thing but I am not sure if I like the idea of the government being involved in what you name your kids or what you want to change your name to.

I heard once about an American guy who legally changed his name to "Trout Fishing in America" lol.

By the way, if this is approved, how would they handle this with foreing people? Considering that a name is strange could be a subjective matter. For example, I've told people that "Danielle" is a girl' s name in the States and they've laughed and think that is totally strange!

Dec 26, 2011
I'm suspecting he's an incompetent dumbass. He should switch his focus from baby names to preventing domestic abuse and feminicide. Moron.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't like the idea of the government involved in what you name your kids. However, the line has to be drawn somewhere. A kid cannot defend himself against the insult that some names are to them. And yes, in Venezuela the government had to do something because everytime there was a Wold's Soccer Tournament you would see newborn kids named "Maradona Perez" or "Bebeto Rodriguez" or "Klinnsmann Gutierrez" and stuff like that.

Dec 26, 2011
I don't like the idea of the government involved in what you name your kids. However, the line has to be drawn somewhere. A kid cannot defend himself against the insult that some names are to them. And yes, in Venezuela the government had to do something because everytime there was a Wold's Soccer Tournament you would see newborn kids named "Maradona Perez" or "Bebeto Rodriguez" or "Klinnsmann Gutierrez" and stuff like that.

This will always happen as long as there are ignorant people. Fight the sickness, not the symptoms.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
My best friend's name is Winston Churchill Rodrigues, his brother's name is Franklyn Roosevelt Rodriguez, his other brother's name is Rommel Rodriguez, and his sister's name is Indirha Esvetlana Rodriguez. Seriously.

Dec 26, 2011
My nephews are Yeuri, Freeman, Josman(mom Josefina/ dad[deadbeat] Manuel), Josmel(mom Josefina/ dad[different deadbeat] Melvin), Joan(they pronounce it Yoan- like we pronounce an English "j") and Tupi. Joan's sister is Joana.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And we have a professor (PhD) whose name is Kiero Guerra, his brother is named Armando and his mother is called Marina

Sense of humor. I have posted before on this. There are two lawyers in santo Domingo named Hitler and Mussolini. I have had male students named Barbara and I have one this semester named Joan....go figure.!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wonder if there is a social difference in the families with these crazy names? Kind of like in the US, where 'most' of the middle class have normal names. The really odd names seem to be in the poor ghetto and in wealthy Hollywood.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we covered the subject before:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/clown-bin/73832-think-before-you-name-your-children.html

in the pharmacy i have seen once nueva cristina perez sanchez. made me wonder if there is vieja cristina too. i would not be surprised.
fairly common but totally weird name i have seen repeatedly was: natividad de jesus maria lopez rodriguez.
i mean, really? natividad de jesus?

apellidos are of course random, i did not remember those :)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I once met a little girl named "Candy Leidy"! LoL Candy was a popular anime style cartoon series back in the 80's.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
hey, Chad Johnson, the USA pro football player, changed his name to Chad Ocho Cinco. so, i guess dimwittedness is ubiquitous.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Many Venezuelans had a good laugh at the names and went on with their business. What’s so odd, after all, about the occasional Nixon or Stalin in a nation where bestowing bizarre names on newborns has become a whimsically colorful tradition?

A glance through a phone book or the government’s voter registry reveals names like Taj-Mahal S�nchez, Elvis Presley Gomez Morillo, Darwin Lenin Jimenez, even Hitler Eufemio Mayora. Other Venezuelan first names, which roll off the tongue about as easily in Spanish as in English, include Yusmairobis, Nefertitis, Yaxilany, Riubalkis, Debraska, as well as Yesaid? and Juan Jondre — transliterations of “Yes, I do” and “One hundred.”

from the New York Times

We read the above article in the Week in Review and had to laugh. Not because the Venezuelan names were so weird, but because we have spent time in a place where the names are MUCH weirder.
The province of Manabi, along the Pacific coast of Ecuador, has got to be the world capital of weird names. Where else could you find Conflicto Internacional (International Conflict) Loor living next door to Himno Nacional (National Anthem) Salgado?

Weird names in Manabi are something of a sport, a tradition and a regional idiosyncrasy in Manabi. When an Ecuadorian national newspaper organized a competition a few years ago to find the area with the strangest names, it was called the "Second Strangest Names in the Nation Competition" because it went without saying that Manabi had the top prize.

We know whereof we speak, as Manabi also happens to be the home province of our lovely and supremely tolerant spouse Norma Yvonne. Over the years, on multiple visits, we have met Martes Trece Santana (in South America Tuesday the 13th is the equivalent of Friday the 13th, making this guy Friday Thirteenth Santana) and Mar Pacifico (Pacific Ocean) Andrade.
Tomas, Jaime and Juan are in the minority here. Parents in Manabi like to use babies’ names to commemorate both happy and sad life events. Take, for example. Perfecta Circuncision (Perfect Circumcision) Hidalgo and Cadena Perpetua (Life Sentence) Vasquez.

Sometimes Civic Milestones are memorialized in names, like Inda Zambrano, named for the Spanish initials of the National Institute of Agrarian Development, or Autoridad Portuaria (Port Authority) Centeno.

Other first names from the official Civil Registry include Querido Ecuador (Dear Ecuador), Se�or Licenciado (Mister Professional), Se�or Jesucristo (Mister Jesus Christ) and Semen de los Dioses (Semen of the Gods). In this country, giving a kid a name like that would constitute child abuse.
Parents also like to name their progeny after favorite products or brand names: Coca-Cola and Burguer King are well-known men about town. Norma knows Eveready Pilar Valencia Vasquez.

We suppose these names seem less weird in a province where one of the biggest cities is Jipijapa (pronounced "Hippy-Hoppa") and smaller towns have names like Tripa de Pollo (Chicken Tripe), Dos Culos (Two Assholes) and Caga Fuego (****s Fire). One town has as its official name a slang term which translates loosely to "Horny Town".

The rest of the country shows the usual Latin attraction to flashy names, with tons of Washingtons, Lincolns and even a few Stalins and Hitlers. But no one we spoke to knew why Manabi went so over the top as to make the Venezuelan names which prompted this whole rant seem tame by comparison. The names we mention above came from Norma Yvonne and two articles from the newspaper El Universo (Guayaquil, Ecuador). They are official. legal given names, and we swear we are not making any of this up.
One of the articles did mention that some of these kids petition that their names get changed to normal names on or shortly after their 18th birthday.
The best of the names come with a story attached. One old guy was a scandalous and prolific womanizer who, although happily married, eventually caused another neighbor to become pregnant. They named the child Olvido Romantico (Romantic Mistake).

But our favorite was the poor kid Norma knew growing up who had the unfortunate timing to be born during a crucial soccer match involving his father’s favorite team. He had to answer the roll every morning as Dosauno (Two-to-one) Andrade.

i just wanted to bring up this post from an old thread. i read it again at breakfast and i laughed like an insane person i am. priceless. :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
hmmm... seems like I've been on a streak of "bottom lines" lately... here's another one:

Bottom line: You can't legislate good taste, and you can't fix "stupid".

Sounds like there's a lot of kids who will grow up hating their parents. LOL

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
A co-worker is named Smelly. I'm sure he doesn't really know what it means. I'm not about to tell him, either..