I just got RD$10000 edenorte bill...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Hello everyone. I just got a bill asking me to pay $10000 Pasos. If you have read my previously post, I only paid like 1600-1700 paso for about six months. I had been preparing extra funds because friend here(thanks chip) had been warning me about lack charges on my electricity bills. The thing is I was expecting to pay previously owed amounted calculated amount of least twice or four times since we used A/C about 12 hours a day and have used a lot of electricity stuff in house since we moved here.

Now that I got this bill... Do I put a dispute and go through agony of going to edenorte multiple times and have them come and calculate things again or just forget it and pay it off.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd fight it. Otherwise every bill may be huge. Your best protection is to let them know you are a fighter.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
koreano, if i'm reading correctly... your bill has been 1600-1700 pesos but now, after moving in and using a/c for 12 hours a day + other electrical items the bill is 10,000?

are you sure that's not possibly correct?

perhaps... pick what you think will be an average 24 hour period of usage, check your meter yourself to see how many kwH you use. extrapolate from that to estimate a correct bill.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
if you use ac at all, there is no way you bill would be under 2000 pesos.
do you not have access to your meter? you can simply read the number and calculate usage. As far as I know :

One ac unit at 1000w would be 6.6pesos at basic rate PER HOUR.
so quick sum

8hours per day X 30 days =240 hours X6.6 pesos =1,584 pesos just for a/c.

fill in your own numbers I guess.

dave

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
koreano, if i'm reading correctly... your bill has been 1600-1700 pesos but now, after moving in and using a/c for 12 hours a day + other electrical items the bill is 10,000?

are you sure that's not possibly correct?

perhaps... pick what you think will be an average 24 hour period of usage, check your meter yourself to see how many kwH you use. extrapolate from that to estimate a correct bill.
Yes. I had been paying only only 1600-1700 on average per month for past 6 months even though we used A/C in one room for 12hrs.+ almost everyday for past 6 months. Last time I checked with formula chip gave me came out about $8775 per month and this with me consistently turning off boiler, limiting A/C usage and other savings...

Dec 26, 2011
How efficiently does the AC work? Is is central? Is it a room unit? How well is the space being cooled sealed? To what temp is it set? Twelve hours a day? Most experts agree that not running the AC constantly with a thermostat costs more. Once the home or space is at the desired temp the unit will just work to maintain that temp. Much more efficient than forcing it to recool the space every time you turn it on.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you use A/C for 12 hours a day then I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is your bill. Going off other hard users of electricity and their bills ( I believe CC used enough power to light a small village also) it isn't a surprising number.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If you use A/C for 12 hours a day then I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is your bill. Going off other hard users of electricity and their bills ( I believe CC used enough power to light a small village also) it isn't a surprising number.
I am not saying it's surprising that we got that much... I am debating if I need to fight this and let them know that I only paid that little for past months and got this big bill this month.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
When they read the meter often when they can't get in to view the meter they go off what the previous readings/usage has been rather than returning time and time again to get access. So in effect you are paying approx what the last tenant was paying. If it has taken up until now to gain entrance and get a accurate reading then that could be the reason.
But for sure if you have been using the air-con like that for 6 months and had bills that low then you probably owe them money.
I don't know if they can claim back for their own mistakes or inadequacies, but they may, and you could end up paying the actual balance if you bring it to their attention.

Maybe I'm wrong but those are the thoughts that would be running through my mind.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I am not saying it's surprising that we got that much... I am debating if I need to fight this and let them know that I only paid that little for past months and got this big bill this month.

Noo! If you want them to investigate why you paid so less (and invoice you more for those months) you should do that

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
When they read the meter often when they can't get in to view the meter they go off what the previous readings/usage has been rather than returning time and time again to get access. So in effect you are paying approx what the last tenant was paying. If it has taken up until now to gain entrance and get a accurate reading then that could be the reason.
But for sure if you have been using the air-con like that for 6 months and had bills that low then you probably owe them money.
I don't know if they can claim back for their own mistakes or inadequacies, but they may, and you could end up paying the actual balance if you bring it to their attention.

Maybe I'm wrong but those are the thoughts that would be running through my mind.

Noo! If you want them to investigate why you paid so less (and invoice you more for those months) you should do that
Exactly...
This was what I was thinking. I'll just pay them off and try to monitor closely and use less A/C from now on...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If they are just now catching up, then you are probably paying more for those previously missing KWH because they are now charging you for them at the highest rate because of the graduating scale of billing used. I would protest at PROTECOM.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
if you use ac at all, there is no way you bill would be under 2000 pesos.
do you not have access to your meter? you can simply read the number and calculate usage. As far as I know :

One ac unit at 1000w would be 6.6pesos at basic rate PER HOUR.
so quick sum

8hours per day X 30 days =240 hours X6.6 pesos =1,584 pesos just for a/c.

fill in your own numbers I guess.

dave

Wow! You are lucky....only RD$ 6.6 per kWh, we pay RD$ 13.56 per kWh here in Bavaro!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
If they are just now catching up, then you are probably paying more for those previously missing KWH because they are now charging you for them at the highest rate because of the graduating scale of billing used. I would protest at PROTECOM.

really? for 10k pesos? is it worth it? how much will it cost in time and phone calls just to maybe get back 500 pesos?

koreano,
I would strongly suggest that you check your own meter every week and write down your usage. Then you have all the info, if in fact there is an error in the future.

It is just prudent to do this.

there is much information on these boards as how to reduce your usage. In my case I did unplug all tv/cable box etc at night unless i am downloading. also switch A/C off at the breaker when not using in the daytime.(I only use A/C at night)

dave

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
really? for 10k pesos? is it worth it? how much will it cost in time and phone calls just to maybe get back 500 pesos?

koreano,
I would strongly suggest that you check your own meter every week and write down your usage. Then you have all the info, if in fact there is an error in the future.

there is much information on these boards as how to reduce your usage. In my case I did unplug all tv/cable box etc at night unless i am downloading. also switch A/C off at the breaker when not using in the daytime.(I only use A/C at night)

dave

Dave, how much is your bill? im interested as this is what i do too, only run ac @night.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

koreano,

dave
Exactly....
I have gone though ABSOLUTE HELL trying to set up Claro multiplan in my house earlier this year and I have concluded that my time is worth far more then headache of going though "that" slow and "sometimes unethical" Dominican ways. I was just asking this to see what would you have done. I know for some $2000RD is lot of money but if this somehow get resolved if I pay everything this time I think it's worth it.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Exactly....
I have gone though ABSOLUTE HELL trying to set up Claro multiplan in my house earlier this year and I have concluded that my time is worth far more then headache of going though "that" slow and "sometimes unethical" Dominican ways. I was just asking this to see what would you have done. I know for some $2000RD is lot of money but if this somehow get resolved if I pay everything this time I think it's worth it.

Why don't you get something like this...

Amazon.com: Home Energy Saving Monitor Complete Unit with Transmitter: Software

Monitor the amount of power you are using yourself, and get a rough estimate on what you will be paying.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my advice is STFU :)
ladronorte does not go on looking at your meter all the time. as it has been said they what they normally do is consider the average use and send the bill for that. periodically, however, they do check meters and send the next bill according to the factual usage.

my best guess is that someone finally looked and saw your true use of electricity. they should not be charging back but from now on you should be receiving higher bills corresponding with your A/C craziness :)
so STFU, do not rise their attention. pay up, this is what you really owe. i also suggest that on the first day of every month you take the picture of your meter showing current usage in case you ever had to dispute anything.

we pay 2500 pesos on average. no A/C at all. just one fan at night and normal quantity of appliances.