Why do you live here and why do you stay living in the dr.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I have been reading other threads but, have not found the answers to my questions about why people live here and more importantly, why do they stay living here. When as an american at any time you can just pick up and leave and go back to america or better yet any other country.

I lived in the dr from 1990 to 1997 and at that time I took a drastic decision in my life and took a flight and came to live in the dr without ever even being here before. I lived here off of my savings and investments from the US not much to brag about but, was enough to live here at that time. I enrolled in a school here and I did some business and stayed here untill I finshed my school and made enough money to return to the states. I remember that even though I stayed, I really knew that the only thing keeping me here was my commitment to finish my school that I had started and the lure of money that I was making here but, not really much else to be honest. I eventually returned to the states and opened a business and have been in business ever since and I also did real estate investment and was in the construction business.

I will be honest though I have have never been completely happy living in the states after I left the dr and I have been to costa rica and honduras many times thinking as an alternative place to leave america and re-establish myself but, I did not really like them for living. The only country I really like is colombia however, I do not think it is a good place to do business IMHO but, a nice place to live if you are retired and have income.

I now find myself wanting to return to the dr to live and do business here again even though there was a lot of things I did not like about the dr back then there were also many things that I did like and I still miss about the dr. Call it a strange love and hate relationship however, it just might quite possibly be that the dr was where I was most happy in my life and my destiny to return is marked in my life.

The bottom line is why are you living here and the reasons why do you stay living here. What keeps you here, as we are all know the dr can be a very nice place to live but, it also can be a very frustrating and hard place to live at times so what are the main reasons you stayed. Was it economical or family or love of a women,child etc???

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My answer is that at this moment I don't know why am I living here (besides DR being my wife's homeland, but if that would be a reason living in my country would be equally valid). The reason to come was 100% love of a woman, but we are realizing each day more that with three small children maybe it was not the smartest move to go back living in DR.

If my wife would tell me she really can't handle living in Europe I wouldn't doubt staying here forever, but since she is aware of the difficulties of raising children here, going back is an option.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
My answer is that at this moment I don't know why am I living here (besides DR being my wife's homeland, but if that would be a reason living in my country would be equally valid). The reason to come was 100% love of a woman, but we are realizing each day more that with three small children maybe it was not the smartest move to go back living in DR.

If my wife would tell me she really can't handle living in Europe I wouldn't doubt staying here forever, but since she is aware of the difficulties of raising children here, going back is an option.

What do you find difficult about raising children in DR? Please elaborate more on this, thanks.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Raising a child is difficult anywhere. But rather than get into the debate about 'well we raised our children in DR, it gave them great life experience and they seem none the worse for it', which is where this will go. Look at it like this. If you knew the DR as you do and what it is all about and had to offer, but you lived in Europe. Would you be considering moving to the DR to offer them a better education, a better social life, better oportunity and security and reduce the concerns that any parent faces as their children grow older?

I think very few parents would be lying awake at night thinking 'I want all these things for my child, we had better move to DR'.

Obviously every family is different, but I don't think it should be difficult for people to understand.

Dec 26, 2011
Raising a child is difficult anywhere. But rather than get into the debate about 'well we raised our children in DR, it gave them great life experience and they seem none the worse for it', which is where this will go. Look at it like this. If you knew the DR as you do and what it is all about and had to offer, but you lived in Europe. Would you be considering moving to the DR to offer them a better education, a better social life, better oportunity and security and reduce the concerns that any parent faces as their children grow older?

I think very few parents would be lying awake at night thinking 'I want all these things for my child, we had better move to DR'.

Obviously every family is different, but I don't think it should be difficult for people to understand.

Some Dominican parents in the US threaten their children with "deportation" to RD if they misbehave or have trouble in school. Sometimes they follow through on it. I've never understood this. It really seems to be a way to take a break from their responsibility and nothing more.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Reminds me of a few years ago we had to stay in the US for a extended period. My son was being rather difficult, he was 10 or 11 at the time. I remember telling him that if he did not behave I would send him back on the next plane to DR. His response was what time should he be ready to go to the airport. Never tried that again..lol

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Some Dominican parents in the US threaten their children with "deportation" to RD if they misbehave or have trouble in school. Sometimes they follow through on it. I've never understood this. It really seems to be a way to take a break from their responsibility and nothing more.

You may be correct about this but I have known parents who has done this and obtained positive results. After the kid has been "deported", they have straightened out for the better upon their return from the change of scenery in the DR.:)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What do you find difficult about raising children in DR? Please elaborate more on this, thanks.
I think the comment of Giveadogahome sums it up: education, security, opportunities and social life. Besides that I don't want them to get used to the culture of 'enga?o' that unfortunately is very present in DR, and the negligence of your environment.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
For me the reasons are as follows-- 1)- climate, climate , climate- I don't do cold anymore and this is the best tropical climate I have found. A few months hot but never unbearable, never cold, 4-5 months absolutely perfect. 2) The Dominican people and their collective attitude towards white gringos( as opposed to the rest of the Caribe) 3) Cost of living- I could never duplicate my standard of living I have here in the DR, in the US on the salary I earn. 4) The DR is the greatest place I have found on the planet to be a middle aged single male. 5) The geographical diversity on the island is off the charts !! 6) The island is huge. I never get island fever. For me, living in the DR seems like living in a small country with 1000 miles of coastline. 7) Bachata, Merenge- this country's musical soul is still dominated by native music, which I love. 8) Presidente- the best beer in the world !9) Tropical green green, blue blue- awesome !! Not to be found anywhere in the continental US. Ya ! K

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I planned my exile after the photos from Abu Ghraid

the DR was the one country on my list which I had not yet visited, and thus, had not eliminated as a retirement option.

I have savings and worked as a journalist for a while and did a gig saving about 300 Haitians in exile and now am retired...

(but about to start this really groovy farm growing snails and mushrooms as soon as the dR1 team can locate a cave for me)

Finally, after 8 years, I am really starting to have fun!

i guess you would call it economical because in the States, I would be living at a MUCH lower level than I do here. My rent is reasonable and fixed, my cleaning lady mops the floor like a ballet dancer, the English library with 6000 books is three blocks away. The pool is one block. Ditto for the grocery, the pharmacy, the flower seller, the shoe repair guy, the groovy little French Dominican air conditioned restaurant, my two taxi drivers, my three fruit salesmen...... have to take a cab maybe once a month to see a movie over in that other section called Naco....

but i am lucky enough to live in Gazcue
on foot

abd

Sep 4, 2012
You may be correct about this but I have known parents who has done this and obtained positive results. After the kid has been "deported", they have straightened out for the better upon their return from the change of scenery in the DR.:)

CBMITCH,

I know of several cases as well American culture is no longer condusive to raising kids. I have even known Dominicans who kept their daughters in the DR even though they could have brought them here because they saw how Dominican girls raised in america turned out.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It grows on you. It is like a love hate relationship. You get mad and complain but really couldn't see myself not living here. Sitting outside and having those that pass by say "hola" or "como esta dona". Watching the sunset at night. Having fresh guandules (sp?). Going to my favorite panderia and getting fresh rolls stuffed with ham and cheese. Being within a short drive to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Going to the campo and sitting out front at my in-laws in a rocking chair just watching the people. Watching my son embrace his Dominican heritage. Sharing a trago (sp?) with my father in-law and listening to his stories. This might not be the reason I originally came here but these are some of the reasons I stay.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
It grows on you. It is like a love hate relationship. You get mad and complain but really couldn't see myself not living here. Sitting outside and having those that pass by say "hola" or "como esta dona". Watching the sunset at night. <b>Having fresh guandules (sp?). </b>Going to my favorite panderia and getting fresh rolls stuffed with ham and cheese. Being within a short drive to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Going to the campo and sitting out front at my in-laws in a rocking chair just watching the people. Watching my son embrace his Dominican heritage. Sharing a trago (sp?) with my father in-law and listening to his stories. This might not be the reason I originally came here but these are some of the reasons I stay.

Hey Keepcoming,

Not to steer the thread away from the op but seeing that you love guandules so much, I was wondering if you have ever tried some arvejas secas, guisadas? If you have not, you should give them a try. I can almost guarantee you will love them.
They ate cooked just like beans and guandules, just make sure that you leave them in water the day prior.

Dec 26, 2011
Hey Keepcoming,

Not to steer the thread away from the op but seeing that you love guandules so much, I was wondering if you have ever tried some arvejas secas, guisadas? If you have not, you should give them a try. I can almost guarantee you will love them.
They ate cooked just like beans and guandules, just make sure that you leave them in water the day prior.

And they're really gandules. They're only guandules in RD. :)

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I really want to move back so badly. I just started a new job and I wont be going anywhere for a while.
On top of that my ex wife will take me to court or have me killed if I try to bring my son to the DR.

The things I liked the most about living here was that you really can fly under the radar and enjoy yourself. If you choose your company the Dominican People are wonderful hosts.
The children here do somersalts for a week if you give them a crayon. They will do chores for a couple of bucks and a sandwich. In the US I am afraid to pay a kid to do chores either my offer will be misconstrued or he will get a blister and sue me. My son will not do chores at all.
Maybe its the expat but nobody judges if you want to tub a beer at nine in the morning;
You actually enjoy talking to people who speak english.

Gosh Im depressed now. Off to work

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
CBMITCH,

I know of several cases as well American culture is no longer condusive to raising kids. I have even known Dominicans who kept their daughters in the DR even though they could have brought them here because they saw how Dominican girls raised in america turned out.

Absolutely, if the toss up was between the US and DR (not Europe as was stated) then the decision would be very different.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Absolutely, if the toss up was between the US and DR (not Europe as was stated) then the decision would be very different.

The culture for raising a child across the USA is not all the same. Rasing a child in NYC is not the same as raising a child in Grand Forks ND, or Davenport IOWA.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well, this is a whole different country than it was in the 90's. I've lived here since 2001, but I came here on vacations many times before that, and I remember SD being little more than a small village at the time. Things have changed a lot since, maybe not the people, but in general there have been huge improvements.
I live here because in this country you can find whatever it is you're looking for. I believe the DR represents a fair balance between freedom and some anarchy, which means you can pretty much do as you please as long as you don't step on anybody's foot. But I guess the main reason for me to be here, is because I think living in the DR these days means watching a country develop towards good things. We are kind of used to seeing things rolling downhill in the society and economy in our countries, and this country is going up those hills (it's a struggle, not everything is good). I firmly believe that the DR, within the next 30 or 40 years, will be a like some of those asian islands that rose from nothing to be thriving economies and magnet to immigration. I hope I will already be here when people start to flock. Maybe I'm just crazy, I know...

Dec 26, 2011
The culture for raising a child across the USA is not all the same. Rasing a child in NYC is not the same as raising a child in Grand Forks ND, or Davenport IOWA.

I live in Pennsylvania. There's a nice mix of white/black/latino/asian/indian/african/jew/gentile/conservative/liberal in my area. My son just started attending a community college respected for its high standards and great programs. He has a job, is helping his old school with their band program and will continue his interest in acting that he developed there. He's polite and respectful to young and old while irreverent in his disdain for archaic beliefs. He's an independent thinker. He's had several girlfriends and not impregnated any of them. :) I couldn't be more proud of him or have wished for a better environment in which to have raised him. In fairness, his conscientious Dominican mother deserves much of the credit for how he's turned out. But as Bob says, "The culture for raising a child across the USA is not all the same."