Moped Racing On North Coast

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

In October last year, residents of La Uni?n already complained about illegal motorbike races which are held on public roads. These youngsters between 16 and 25 race in a competitions with tuned mopeds on which bystanders can bet on.

The winners of the races earn from 500 to 1000 pesos. But by their irresponsible behavior they put themselves and other road users in danger. The mopeds can reach speeds of over 65 miles per hour. The commander of the National Police promised in response to the many complaints and accidents to act strictly against the offenders. But lately again moped races have been reported regularly. In Puerto Plata, this illegal sport apparently is very popular among the youngsters, but has already resulted in major accidents with fatalities. Especially 'Calle 26 de Agosto' is frequently used as a racetrack by the youngsters for their tuned mopeds. A street that is located only 100 yards from the police station.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Maybe we should show them the results of the accidents which happen involving others participating in this stupid "sport." Nothing says "stop it" like seeing a fellow 'racer' without half his face while his family grieves in the background.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Boys will be boys, especially when you give them an engine. It is difficult to make a stand with a valid reason when you have the organised drag events on the malecon which hardly promote safety, or realise the dangers they are putting the crowds in themselves. It is only a matter of time before 50 or 60 are wiped out by an overpowered car in the hands of an under experienced kid. Most of them make it down the strip on pure luck rather than skill.
So they can't really promote this and then complain (or even be surprised) about little bikes copying it.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Speedy Gonzales

... illegal motorbike races which are held on public roads.

It happens (almost) everywhere. ;)
It is the privilege of the young not to fear the risk of dying.

When I was young we also tuned our mopeds and were eager to find out the top speed.
Thanks to the German police we were caught almost every time :disappoin and thus survived. :bunny:

These youngster here are in bad luck to grow up in a society with virtually no functioning police thus their risk is much higher....
It does not much have to do with brains at that age.

'Los hijos de papi y mami' also use the avenues of SD as race tracks, so what?
"Awesome culture." :tired:

donP

Last edited:

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Those are not Mopeds!!!! I cant say anhything I used to pack race in my country too Mind you way less traffic than here had to give the cops a chase a few times never got caught LOL. I dunno boys will be boys what about the carro publicas that use the main road as thier own personal race track?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe we should show them the results of the accidents which happen involving others participating in this stupid "sport." Nothing says "stop it" like seeing a fellow 'racer' without half his face while his family grieves in the background.

i suggest not clearing the bodies at all: just leave them lying where they hit the ground until nature is done with them. kinda like it used to be, when a condemned hang man was left hanging til the neck rot and he dropped down...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Internal combustion engines and 18 y.o. males are nearly congruous. they are the same around the planet.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Not to steal the thread, but does anyone know of the moto racing behind the Hodelpa Garden Court Hotel on the Autopista Duarte KM 9 Santiago? How often does it happen? Is there a schedule? Is it legal? It throws up a dust storm on all the houses in the area.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I was passed once driving past Montellano..................by a freaken maniac on a crotch rocket doing mach ten.....doing a wheely on his front wheel. Never seen anything like it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I was passed once driving past Montellano..................by a freaken maniac on a crotch rocket doing mach ten.....doing a wheely on his front wheel. Never seen anything like it.

Me neither, a front wheel drive bike? You sure that tictac wasn't LSD?:cross-eye

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen, i drive as fast as any dominican but when i pass la union and montellano i slow down to turtle pace. people there are insane :)

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Well Einstein, if you understood the physics of momentum, you may or not get it.......giveadogabone

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
doing a wheely on his front wheel.
It's called a "stoppie." A bikes front brakes can be very powerful, and sport riders can bring weight forward to ride on just the front wheel, quite the (dangerous) balancing act...

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
This guy was a freak. He was hauling ass on a, probably at least an 1100 hundred CC jap bike. WOW. Always be careful around Montellano. I've seen a lot of gore on the side of the road around their.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
That road that comes out Montellan to the highway is scary. All the retards on motos drive onto the highway without looking. If they get wiped out I laugh like a lottery winner. Fk them.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Well Einstein, if you understood the physics of momentum, you may or not get it.......giveadogabone

I know what they are, I've rode bikes for over 30 years. But you wrote 'a bike came past you doing mac ten, doing a wheely on his front wheel'. Unless you were slowing down more than him this would not be possible, for obvious reasons. Einstein I am not, but a basic understanding of physics and how stoppies are pulled I do have:cross-eye

But I see the context of my reply went over your head, but never mind.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I know what they are, I've rode bikes for over 30 years. But you wrote 'a bike came past you doing mac ten, doing a wheely on his front wheel'. Unless you were slowing down more than him this would not be possible, for obvious reasons. Einstein I am not, but a basic understanding of physics and how stoppies are pulled I do have:cross-eye

But I see the context of my reply went over your head, but never mind.
Totally true.

A "stoppie" can ONLY happen under fairly rapid decelleration.

So for a guy doing a stoppie PAST someone, that someone would have to be decellerating at a MUCH faster rate than the guy doing the stoppie...

No other way, period.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did not understand anything you said there but i know i SO want those guys to fall flat on their face and leave half of it spead on the asphalt.
frankly, i do not care if they live or die either as long as they do not hit my car.