Solar Water Heaters

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Today the installation of 12 solar panels (for electricity) has begun. :bunny:

Our next step is to get away from the now costly LPG (at 88 RD$/gallon) and also get a solar water heater.
I think we would want one with a storage tank made of stainless steel with a capacity of approx. 120 - 150 litres.
I'd rather not have the type with glass tubes, but one with copper tubing under tempered glass.

Can anyone suggest a brand / type and share the experience?
I have seen a model here in LT (from Greece) but it only has a 100-litre-tank for around 25,000 RD$, an electric
heater element can also be fitted (+ 3,000 RD$).

donP

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Today the installation of 12 solar panels (for electricity) has begun. :bunny:

Our next step is to get away from the now costly LPG (at 88 RD$/gallon) and also get a solar water heater.
I think we would want one with a storage tank made of stainless steel with a capacity of approx. 120 - 150 litres.
I'd rather not have the type with glass tubes, but one with copper tubing under tempered glass.

Can anyone suggest a brand / type and share the experience?
I have seen a model here in LT (from Greece) but it only has a 100-litre-tank for around 25,000 RD$, an electric
heater element can also be fitted (+ 3,000 RD$).

donP

Coils of black pvc hose pipe are commonly used with a $100 pump 12 volt pump and thermostat with existing tank.

Solar Dynamics heaters are widely used in Barbados.

Solar Dynamics Ltd

yapask1

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Hey DonP, I would also be interested also in prices as well as what you expect to run off those panels...for example, all lighting and general purpose receptables?

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
No, thanks.

Interesting...
However, I am not in Barbados.

donP

First, congratulations from going solar!

Yes, on Barbados supplier , but they have some success in the market and are well worth talking to. It only takes a couple of dollars via Skype to talk to them and receive their data via e-mail. They speak, from experience, very good English.

There is a possibility that in the conversation you would gain knowledge on solar water heater technology that this company has some success with.

Also budget prices ex Barbados are useful in negotiations.

Barbados is a World-wide leader in solar water heating technology.

If they convince you of the merits of their product then you can talk to your existing solar installer to negotiate a special import of their solar water heaters for you.

Also talk to other solar water heater suppliers in the US and elsewhere.

With many hotels etc. in the DR there is market potential in my opinion.

yapask1

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Checking on local offers.

...negotiate a special import of their solar water heaters for you.

Yes, at this stage I am talking to several people, mainly in this country.
It is not such a big investment, so I guess, not worthwhile to import a heater myself.
I shall report, what finally comes out of it.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Feedback

Did my cunning way earn the disclosure to the prices and pic's now that everything is settled? :cool:

Hey DonP, I would also be interested also in prices as well as what you expect to run off those panels...for example, all lighting and general purpose receptables?

Wrong thread, my friends, this is about SOLAR WATER HEATERS.

Actually, I had hoped that there are a lot of DR1-members who use solar water heaters and would share their experience, etc. :disappoin

Well, never mind.

donP

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Coils of black pvc hose pipe are commonly used with a $100 pump 12 volt pump and thermostat with existing tank.
DonP, I understand you wish to buy one. But for readers here who may want to go green, here's a design for a nearly free pumpless solar water heater that lasts forever.

I grew up in a cottage in Florida where we put a 10 sqft. 2x4 frame on the roof, painted the 2x4's and the space inside with Brea (tar), ran black heater hose in tight "esses" to fill the frame, layed glass over the whole thing (sealing with Brea again), and voi-la! We had solar heated water for under $15 (in today's money) that lasted for years.

Mounted on a slope with the inlet down and the outlet up, the warm water rises and is the first to fall when a faucet is opened. No pump needed.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Yanadu's Delight

... a design for a nearly free pumpless solar water heater that lasts forever. (...)
Mounted on a slope with the inlet down and the outlet up, the warm water rises and is the first to fall when a faucet is opened. No pump needed.

That's appropriate technology and that's good (Reminds me what we used in Africa.)

However, my solar water heater needs to be integrated into the existing system, which is pressurized (up to 2 bar).

donP

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I have witnessed a person purchasing a large stainless steel tank from the dairy industry here in the dr . It was about 5 ft high and used to service about 6 large condos on the ocean ! Not from a company but they looked at it to stand the test of time and adapted to their needs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
donP, I would like to help, but I don't know if BushBaby's experience will help you. I was going to say for you to send him a PM and see what he has to say. He installed on in his house and apparently was quite happy with it.

Cordially,

HB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Still not what I want

Thank you for the answers.
The quotes I have received so far either have a steel tank (3mm thick + enamelled) or the vacuum tube system.

So, I am still searching.....

donP