What do you do with your dogs?

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Do you leave them outside or do you have a pet door?
Pet doors don't sound so safe but are so convenient, I guess they could be locked at night.

Do you get your pup's walked by someone?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you've got a secure garden so they can't get out then build a kennel in the shade for them out of blocks, not timber and let them roam the garden through the day, depending on the dog bring it in at night. But most of all, if you have no time to walk the dog then there is no point in getting one, they need stimulating and exercise like anything and anyone else. All you will end up with is a stinky garden full of crap and wee and a miserable dog, and that's not good.
Get a cat!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have two rottweilers. they are outside at all times, never go inside the house. the garden is separated by a net so that dogs do not run out when the gate is opened. so cats stay in front, dogs stay in the back. they have plenty of room. in a corner of the garden they have a large house: cement blocks covered with metal roof. it's probably 3-4 square meters. large enough for both but they seldom use it. they like to sleep outside. we have a huge bowl for water. it has to be large enough not to be moved when full.

dogs get walked every day. unless it rains, then it's a no no. a walk lasts about 30 minutes in a short version or 40-60 minutes in a long version. always on a leash. on weekends we sometimes walk them to a tiny beach nearby, set among the rocks. they can run about there. last week i went into the water to encourage them to swim - they do not like the waves. it took time but finally they went inside the water and had a blast.

the problem was that other users of the beach was a dominican couple, shagging. when we got out the man got out too to get a drink. dogs run to him to play. he was squeaking like a mouse. i tried to call goggies back but each time they run to us the dude moved and they run back to him. he ended up escaping into the water and the dogs followed him enthusiastically. maybe teaching them to like the ocean was not the best idea....

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Pet doors don't sound so safe but are so convenient, I guess they could be locked at night.

Do you get your pup's walked by someone?

Hmmm...I have Great Danes who are chest high and weigh 200 lbs or so. Their "doggie door" is the same darn door I walk through! :smile:

But, that said, we do let them out at night on an infrequent basis to "mystify" the criminals who are undoubtedly hiding in the nearby plantain trees or lying await in the Haitian grass to sneak onto my property and steal my satellite signal! Criminals all!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Threefold System

I said it before:

Chihuahuas (= Early Warning System) inside. Long range radar 24/7. :classic:
GSD (= First Line of Defense) outside. :rambo:
12 Gauge (= Artillery) inside... ;)

donP

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The apartment building where I live has a fenced in doggy park next to it so my 3 get turned out at least twice a day for 30 minutes at a time, often more. The Chihuahuas get rid of their excess energy by playing together and running around and the Rottie's going onto 11 so she just takes a stroll around the perimeter then lies in the sun for a while.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Our 3 (Great Dane, calle perro and a Jack Russel mix have free reign of the property by day and outside at night. Cats come in at night.

They co-exist with the cats, with an occasional "chase" by the Great Dane with no evil intent.

They have their security duties. When a human or animal are at the gate or outside the fence, the two smaller dogs are Early Warning, making all sorts of racket. They get attention.

Then the Muscle arrives: the Great Dane going all Cujo.

So far it's been fairly effective.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We try to keep them out of the house (muddy feet) but aren't always successful.

Two big dogs live outside when we aren't there - they have a shelter in the garage.
Two cats come and go as they please.

Dogs sleep at the bedroom door all night when not assisitng the WatchyMan.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
They have their security duties. When a human or animal are at the gate or outside the fence, the two smaller dogs are Early Warning, making all sorts of racket. They get attention.

my dogs do not bark. i mean, yes, while inside the property they may bark upon hearing people but outside they just bare teeth and go directly for the throat. in silence. :(

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
We try to keep them out of the house (muddy feet) but aren't always successful.

Two big dogs live outside when we aren't there - they have a shelter in the garage.
Two cats come and go as they please.

Dogs sleep at the bedroom door all night when not assisitng the WatchyMan.

You aren't afraid someone may poison them to try to gain access to your home?

I have a Golden Retriever which, as my father says, is a paper dog. Im going to have to get a much meaner dog soon, lol.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
my dogs do not bark. i mean, yes, while inside the property they may bark upon hearing people but outside they just bare teeth and go directly for the throat. in silence. :(
:cheeky:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You aren't afraid someone may poison them to try to gain access to your home?

I have a Golden Retriever which, as my father says, is a paper dog. Im going to have to get a much meaner dog soon, lol.

No, not afraid.

Get a dog w/ a black face - locals hate that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i totally agree: rottweiler or doberman. people here are scared of them real bad.

i feed our dogs or puppy food from pricesmart. i used to buy more expensive stuff but they eat crazy amount.
as treats i use any leftovers. they will eat plantains and tostones. even a tomato, if they see nothing else is coming :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know of a good litter coming up in Dec/Jan in RD.

I have one from a previous litter, Belgian/German Shepherd cross.

dv8, one of my dogs(yrs ago) ate bananas

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, bananas too, if peeled. and mangoes. but number one is avocados that fall from the tree in the garden. they are carefully peeled and eaten. fiji must be eating maybe a hundred of them every season...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
She augments her food w/ veggies, etc.
I feed chicken pieces and meat scraps - raw only

Right about alone, we have somebody all the time.
The dogs tell you when its time to throw the ball. :))