Papi's in Cabarete...not my favorite restaurant anymore...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Since my first meal at Papi's about 6 years ago, I have been hooked. My only complaint over the years would be about the service, and even that was only occasional. I have never had an issue with the food, the portions, the prices, or anything else about the restaurant. When the new owners took over I was pleasantly surprised that little, if anything changed...apart from some nice improvements to the restaurant itself.

I had lunch there today and while it was far from bad, it was nowhere near as good as it's been in the past.

The one thing that made Papi's famous and sets it apart from every other restaurant in the area, is the sauce "a la Papi". Today, it was nothing like in the past...it seemed like a cheap imitation, still tasty, but not what it once was. It was all butter, no cream, and barely had the interesting flavors that has made it famous...

Equally disappointing was the portion...literally about half of what it used to be. I did notice this the last time I was there, but it didn't seem as bad...maybe 20-30% smaller portion, but I wrote it off to my imagination. This time there was no doubt. We ordered a full portion of shrimp and one of langostinos. They were served in one Paella dish and I honestly thought they made a "half and half" combo, which they used to offer. Obviously I was wrong and what was served was supposed to be two full portions.

In addition, the salad we ordered as an appetizer was served with the meal, instead of before, no bread was served until we asked for it (another thing that used to be pretty special, today was a sliced baquette), and two little "nice touch" things they have always provided, a complimentary small appetizer of some sort before the meal and complimentary mamajuana shots after were not given.

So, I don't mean this as a trashing of Papi's...it was still good, just not stellar as I've always considered it to be. And for the first time, I definitely felt it was not worth the money.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You're not trashing, you tell it as you see it..............
We need more of these informative observations to weed out the good from the bad.........

B in Santiago

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Let's hope the owner reads this and takes on board your criticisms. They cannot afford to rest on their laurels and live off their reputation if they fail to keep up the good standards. They also need to know their market. Papis is probably more popular with the local expats than the tourists as it doesn't have that visual appeal that many other Cabarete beach restaurants have.

Their reputation is the only marketing asset they have. Let's hope they don't spoil it.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Interestingly i was also at Papi's last night for the 1st time in a while and i was a little disappointed as well.
Portions were poor...one plate of langostino's is normally 3 (6 halves) but normally 3 good sized langostinos. Last night, one was of a good size and the others were very small and at 1,071$ per plate (i think, inc taxes) i do not expect this sort of penny-pinching. If the langos are small, then give me 4.
I know the owner and wanted to tell him but didnt quite get the chance but am afraid to say that i probably wont be going back in a hurry and i wont be telling the various people that i normally recommend it to each week either.

Service....'what would you like to drink', the waitress asked me, 'a bottle of wine?'
That question alone cost her any extra tip. If i want a bottle of wine, ill f@cking ask for one mi amor!

Sorry, that sort of 'service' really gets my goat

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Tough crowd. Im in the rest business myself. One thing I hate is to read reviews like this LOL. Please tell the owner or manager when you are not happy. He should appreciate the feedback and make your complaints right.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
tough but fair.
If a place is good, i will praise it from the rooftops :) (see my various posts on Ahorita's in the current voodoo lounge thread, and a rave review of Nathalie Simon restaurant)

This is the age of the internet...if you screw up, then the word will spread fast.

And also, if i was running a resto like Papi's, i would be going round asking clients how they had found their meals...no? Now maybe the owner does, but i didnt see much of that last night. I dont see why i should seek him out to complain

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
I know the owner and wanted to tell him but didn't quite get the chance but am afraid to say that i probably wont be going back in a hurry and i wont be telling the various people that I normally recommend it to each week either.

Was my favorite too. Will not be recommending my friends who come down on vacation as I had done before because it is poor quality with even higher prices. I was content with the price increases over the past 12 years but since the new owner took over it is not on my recommended list.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
It used to be one of my favorites. Then it changed the owner and I was advised to stay away. Just tried it again this Saturday after a long break, and was also disappointed. Ordered carpaccio de salmon - which was actually very good, but the other 2 plates: a mixed fish/seafood dish and a pasta were mediocre at best. The portions seemed fine though, it was plenty of food for two. Yes, abysmal service.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm going have to play devil's advocate here. let's start with prices:

1. Someone had three fresh lobsters in a fabulous garlic cream sauce, on the beach, under coconut trees, in the caribbean, for $1071 pesos ($27 U.S). Yep...$27 U.S dollars!

2. Someone else had Salmon Carpaccio--which they acknowledge was "Very good," but found the other two dishes mediocre at best. This person was fine with the portions and admits it was fine for two people. Others here found the portions small.

Nearly everyone agrees that the service is abysmal or lousy--which i agree is the case when they're busy, but it's certainly not always the case. Still, the service on the beach, like most places on the island, is a hit or miss. chalk it up to culture, and the fact that the service industry salaries here are $7000 pesos a month ($190 U.S a month). Less than $50 U.S a week for a 40 hour week!

Even if the portions have gotten slightly smaller, i'm sorry, $27 U.S for three lobsters on the beach, in the caribbean, is a fantastic deal. One lobster where i work right now is $100 U.S dollars! A dozen oysters is $95 U.S dollars! and guess what...you're not sitting on the beach in the caribbean, underneath a canopy of stars, watching people walk up and down the promenade in their bikinis and shorts.

For a tourist, coming down to the DR from Europe or the U.S, the North Coast prices at the restaurants on the beach are a steal! A steal!!! The cheapest beer here in Scandinavia is 8 hours of pay for a Dominican. i think the problem lays with expats who live in the DR and wanting a great deal at rock bottom prices. i admit i fall prey to this as well, however, i don't think many people realize the cost of running a business in the DR--the employee insurance you have to provide for each employee; the 10% yearly severance package you have to pay each employee when you let them go; the unbelievable, unfathomable electricity bill for a large restaurant--especially if there is a lot of refrigeration is astronomical; the skyrocketing rent if you are on the beach, etc. etc. etc. i'm leaving out a dozen other costs just to save time here.

JohnnyBoy hit the nail on the head when he correctly suggested that, if you're happy with the service, portions, or prices, tell your waitress to send the manager or better yet, owner over to your table and tell him or her directly. Go straight to the source! Speak to the people who have the power to change what it is you don't like. I know that, in the restaurant where i work in Cabarete, the owner really appreciates when people give him constructive criticism and information. However, be aware that, a lot of expats who live here--but certainly not all--are legally insane with the papers to prove it. Some of these people over the years have made these suggestions to me and the owner:

1. "Lower the beer prices!" "Why?" I'll ask? "Because the bar across the street and my colmado charges much less." If they seem sane, i will give them a few restaurant costs here in the DR that maybe they are unaware of. For example: we got over two dozen employees to pay twice a month, and an electricity bill that never dips below $110,000 pesos a month. A month! Can you imagine having an electricity bill that is over $100,000 pesos a month!

2. "I live here, I'm a local...I shouldn't have to pay any taxes at a restaurant! Take the taxes off my bill." We can't legally do that.

3. "The prices are too high...I can eat across the street for half the price." "Yeah, but we're on the beach." "I don't care if you're on the beach, lower your Fu^&*king prices!"

4. "My Dominican date is not happy with her meal." "Oh, what's wrong, i'll try to fix it." "She says she doesn't like seafood." "But she ordered seafood, right?" "Yeah but she doesn't like the taste of fish."

5. "$3.80 ($150 pesos x 39 U.S) for a rum and coke!? I can buy a whole bottle of rum for $3.80!!" "Ok, and...you're point is?"

I could go and on here, but the point here is that running a restaurant business depends on customer's feedback (directly to the owner if possible), but keep in mind some things can be changed and some things cannot be changed. Things like service, attitude, and consistency can be changed for the better and should be changed for the better. But prices, portions (some times), and people's tastes cannot be changed.

This is not to say that the OP here doesn't have some very valid and good points that need immediately addressed, however, its the owner that needs to be made aware of their constructive criticism. But i also agree that there is nothing wrong with airing them here on the internet as well becuase that can also make the owner aware. persoanlly, I think it's healthy to air them on the internet because on top of bringing about healthy criticisms, debate, suggestions, and attention to the details and problems, it allows the owner or manager to make people aware of why things are the way they are, why they cost what they cost, and why some things can be fixed and some things cannot be fixed...not easily anyway. but it should also be noted that many expats here are certifiably crazy...with the papers to prove it--many have alcohol issues, social skill issues, psychological issues, and most significantly: Math issues...they want things at wholesale or below wholesale prices! And when you ask them why? "Becuase i've lived here longer than you!"

LOve FRank

Last edited:

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
My point Frank, was not that the prices were too high at $27 for 3 lobsters but that, having been there many times before and having received 3 normal sized lobsters for that price, to get small ones seems to be disingenuous.

But then you're playing devil's advocate arent you

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

1. Someone had three fresh lobsters in a fabulous garlic cream sauce, on the beach, under coconut trees, in the caribbean, for $1071 pesos ($27 U.S). Yep...$27 U.S dollars!

2. Someone else had Salmon Carpaccio--which they acknowledge was "Very good," but found the other two dishes mediocre at best. This person was fine with the portions and admits it was fine for two people. Others here found the portions small.

Nearly everyone agrees that the service is abysmal or lousy--which i agree is the case when they're busy, but it's certainly not always the case. Still, the service on the beach, like most places on the island, is a hit or miss. chalk it up to culture, and the fact that the service industry salaries here are $7000 pesos a month ($190 U.S a month). Less than $50 U.S a week for a 40 hour week!

Even if the portions have gotten slightly smaller, i'm sorry, $27 U.S for three lobsters on the beach, in the caribbean, is a fantastic deal. One lobster where i work right now is $100 U.S dollars! A dozen oysters is $95 U.S dollars! and guess what...you're not sitting on the beach in the caribbean, underneath a canopy of stars, watching people walk up and down the promenade in their bikinis and shorts.

For a tourist, coming down to the DR from Europe or the U.S, the North Coast prices at the restaurants on the beach are a steal! A steal!!! The cheapest beer here in Scandinavia is 8 hours of pay for a Dominican. i think the problem lays with expats who live in the DR and wanting a great deal at rock bottom prices. i admit i fall prey to this as well, however, i don't think many people realize the cost of running a business in the DR--the employee insurance you have to provide for each employee; the 10% yearly severance package you have to pay each employee when you let them go; the unbelievable, unfathomable electricity bill for a large restaurant--especially if there is a lot of refrigeration is astronomical; the skyrocketing rent if you are on the beach, etc. etc. etc. i'm leaving out a dozen other costs just to save time here.

JohnnyBoy hit the nail on the head when he correctly suggested that, if you're happy with the service, portions, or prices, tell your waitress to send the manager or better yet, owner over to your table and tell him or her directly. Go straight to the source! Speak to the people who have the power to change what it is you don't like. I know that, in the restaurant where i work in Cabarete, the owner really appreciates when people give him constructive criticism and information. However, be aware that, a lot of expats who live here--but certainly not all--are legally insane with the papers to prove it. Some of these people over the years have made these suggestions to me and the owner:

1. "Lower the beer prices!" "Why?" I'll ask? "Because the bar across the street and my colmado charges much less." If they seem sane, i will give them a few restaurant costs here in the DR that maybe they are unaware of. For example: we got over two dozen employees to pay twice a month, and an electricity bill that never dips below $110,000 pesos a month. A month! Can you imagine having an electricity bill that is over $100,000 pesos a month!

2. "I live here, I'm a local...I shouldn't have to pay any taxes at a restaurant! Take the taxes off my bill." We can't legally do that.

3. "The prices are too high...I can eat across the street for half the price." "Yeah, but we're on the beach." "I don't care if you're on the beach, lower your Fu^&*king prices!"

4. "My Dominican date is not happy with her meal." "Oh, what's wrong, i'll try to fix it." "She says she doesn't like seafood." "But she ordered seafood, right?" "Yeah but she doesn't like the taste of fish."

5. "$3.80 ($150 pesos x 39 U.S) for a rum and coke!? I can buy a whole bottle of rum for $3.80!!" "Ok, and...you're point is?"

I could go and on here, but the point here is that running a restaurant business depends on customer's feedback (directly to the owner if possible), but keep in mind some things can be changed and some things cannot be changed. Things like service, attitude, and consistency can be changed for the better and should be changed for the better. But prices, portions (some times), and people's tastes cannot be changed.

This is not to say that the OP here doesn't have some very valid and good points that need immediately addressed, however, its the owner that needs to be made aware of their constructive criticism. But i also agree that there is nothing wrong with airing them here on the internet as well becuase that can also make the owner aware. persoanlly, I think it's healthy to air them on the internet because on top of bringing about healthy criticisms, debate, suggestions, and attention to the details and problems, it allows the owner or manager to make people aware of why things are the way they are, why they cost what they cost, and why some things can be fixed and some things cannot be fixed...not easily anyway. but it should also be noted that many expats here are certifiably crazy...with the papers to prove it--many have alcohol issues, social skill issues, psychological issues, and most significantly: Math issues...they want things at wholesale or below wholesale prices! And when you ask them why? "Becuase i've lived here longer than you!"

LOve FRank

I'm seeing this across the board with the oceanfront restaurants in Cabarete in the last few months. Prices are going up and portion size is going down, Papi's and Kahunas (Previously two of my favs, are the biggest offenders). Kahuna's is charging 40 pesos PER chicken wing.. I made a pack of 20 chicken wings yesterday (breaded and sauced) for a food cost of 260 pesos, including Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce (no I won't share my source) and fresh cut french fries.

I think a lot of these restaurants are going with the old Dominican mentality.. when business is slow, raise prices and squeeze every penny out of the people that are coming.. I told my wife we are only eating out once a month now since I spent 1400 (40 US with tip) on fish and chips and 12 chicken wings at Kahuna's .. these prices are unreasonable for us that live here full time.

I will admit, the only place I go on the beach for a couple of beers is Jose's though, chatting with Aridio about motos and the sense of safety I get there is unmatched.. and I've never been against paying 2.50 for a beer at any bar in the world.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012

LOve FRank

Excellent Post

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The point is you could go to Papi's and order any plate and know it would be awesome, and now it's just like a regular mediocre restaurant where a few dishes are good and you learn to ignore the rest. At this point if I want to have seafood in Cabarete, I'd skip Papi's and head to Casa del Pescador, - I think they have more consistent quality and definitely better service.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Papi's was my favorite place on the entire north coast, until Papi left the building that is. The new owners tried to maintain it as it was but bit by bit the dishes got smaller, the flavors changed and the service got worse. I have been there several times but I have now given up on the place. I complained once to one of the new owners and he gave me the worst attitude I have ever come across by a restaurant owner. I always used to recommend Papi's to everyone visiting the area, but I have stopped doing that as Papi's is no longer what it was...this sounds a bit harsh but considering the restaurant is nowhere near the same calibre as Don Papi, the should rename it to Crappies!!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
CdP....you sure?? I gave up on that quite some time ago. Maybe things have changed??

I haven't been there for a while myself, but they definitely had better seafood than what I had at Papi's this weekend.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One poster hit the nail on the head. When business is slow raise prices and give smaller portions. Dominican rules of business. Does not always work though.

Papi was one in a million. When he left that was it. They had the recipe for the sauce, but everything else was pot luck. Now they are scrimping, so good luck to them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to defer to the OP, who I just happen to know fairly well.

If he says that things have gone down or are below par--THEY ARE!!

So Papi, whoever he is, needs to come out of the woodwork and take care of business...

Word..

HB

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I am going to defer to the OP, who I just happen to know fairly well.

If he says that things have gone down or are below par--THEY ARE!!

So Papi, whoever he is, needs to come out of the woodwork and take care of business...

Word..

HB

I second what Hillbilly says.The OP lives in Cabarete and is not the type of guy to give a bad review just to make a post. And he was more then fair in his review.