I can't believe I've done it

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I need some help here guys, I finally quit smoking after 7 years and I'm on my 10th day of no smoking.. In over 100 other quit attempts over the years, I've never gotten past the second day.

Well, I'm looking to get a nice massage in Cabarete so where would you guys recommend I go.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One) Stay away from those activities where you liked to smoke.
Two) Stay away from people who smoke--it is too easy to bum a smoke.
Three) Avoid drinking for a while (sorry about that) since we know that drinking and smoking seem to go hand in hand.
and
Four) Try and cut down on coffee for the same reasons as (three) and exercise!!! You will get high on endorphins.

Good luck with this and congratulations. I quit in May of 1966, for the last time. Not touched a cigarette since then. Cannot say the same about cigars which I started puffing on about 15 or 16 years ago. But no inhaling!! and Nowadays maybe a cigar a week or every two weeks.

Don't worry, it is hard and you will even dream of smoking, but don't give up, no matter what!!!

HB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I did it with the e cig. It worked for me!!!! :)

Get a nice massage at the beach. Last time, I received a 30 minute massage on the beach for 300 pesos. Had one everyday until I left.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Congratulations Sayanora................haven`t a clue about where to get good massage, just wanted to wish you continued luck on not smoking.;)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yes good luck. I only smoke when I drink, and so had to stop drinking to stop smoking. The cigs are easy the beer now and then is not so easy.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
great minds think alike. im on day 12 and did a deep tissue massage in puerto plata just to help with symptoms. the first 3 days were horrific. i also started listening to some tapes call "the easy method" by allen carr.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I don't know if u would consider this , my friend years ago could not stop smoking for longer than 1 day , and he was disciplined in many areas ! But he went to a hypnotist two or three times I remember ,and stopped for 2 months . I COULD NOT believe it . he started again because he did not go to his appointment for another session . ( he did not really want to stop) SO this may be an option if you DO really want to stop ?...

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
CONGRATULATIONS on not smoking for 10 days, thats great, hang in there, you're worth it. I was a smoker for 39 years. Very active in sports and still smoked, how stupid is that. I have COPD now and breathing ain't easy, so hang in there and do the right thing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No, you didn't quit, you've stopped. For how long depends on how much (and how long) your will power will last.

It took me years to get rid of the craving.

What's funny is now I smoke cigars occasionally, but I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.

You got that right! I stopped smoking over 30 years ago. Up until all indoor smoking was banned in my state, every so often someone would light up and I'd get that whiff 'just right' and I'd inhale deeply and have a momentary craving.

BTW, I had lung cancer surgery in 2003, lost a lobe, almost 30 yrs after stopping.

OP, try to think about that if you're tempted to start up again.

Apr 13, 2011
I am working at this with you. I am taking the nicorette losanges. It is helping me when I have the craving. The gum did not work for me. The patch did not work for me. Quitting cold turkey absolutely did not work. Yet I am only on about three weeks on this new endeavor to quit smoking - so far doing well with the cravings and psychological desire for a cigarette. So - hang in there, you are not the only one. We can do this!

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Congrats on the initiative! It really is very difficult to stop smoking and sticking with it. I stopped 7 years ago cold turkey and as unbelievable as it might seem, every so often when I brew the perfect cup of Caf? Santo Domingo Expresso I get a cigarette craving that's hard to control even after seven years being smoke free. Hang in there, think positive, drink plenty of water, exercise and eat plenty of sunflower seeds. The unpeeled sunflower seeds, seeds still in their shell lightly salted, will keep both your mind and your mouth busy and not thinking about smoking. Keep up the effort & remember smoking is bad for you and it stinks.....

NotLurking

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
congrats. by father stopped few years ago too, after decades of 20-40 cheap cigarettes a day. he used to buy a pack on his way to work, always in the same place. he had exact change to make it quick and not to be late. one day he comes, hands over the change and the seller says: you know, i will sell it to you because you come here every day but you have to know from today the price went up by 1 zloty.
my father said: **** it! no more.

:) :) :)
1 zloty is about 10 pesos and the price is regulated by government. my dad just got fed up :)
so many years passed and he keeps cigarette free, bless him.