Smart "Smart" meters

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We got one of those new Smart meters stuffed down our throat by our friendly energy supplier Edenorte.

So after 2 days I checked the meter and to my stupefaction the meter read 70 kw, a lot higher than normal.

During those 2 days the poolpump had worked for around 4 hours a day, so I told the gardener not to use the pump for the next 2 days, to see the difference.

Well, the meter immediately compensated for using less luz, by running faster as the usage was exactly the same.

If that is not smart, I do not know what is. Well at least for Edenorte.

Luckily enough the owner of the house was in the country, and we switched over the account to my name. At least I can go and complain now.

BelgianK

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Could you please post a picture of what these smart meters look like?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We got one of those new Smart meters stuffed down our throat by our friendly energy supplier Edenorte.

So after 2 days I checked the meter and to my stupefaction the meter read 70 kw, a lot higher than normal.

During those 2 days the poolpump had worked for around 4 hours a day, so I told the gardener not to use the pump for the next 2 days, to see the difference.

Well, the meter immediately compensated for using less luz, by running faster as the usage was exactly the same.

If that is not smart, I do not know what is. Well at least for Edenorte.

Luckily enough the owner of the house was in the country, and we switched over the account to my name. At least I can go and complain now.

BelgianK

So You have not read the thread about going to Solar? Lots about the not so smart "Smart Meters". And u ain't the only one going nuts.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi, Yes thats a great Idea Beeza ? then at least we can google it and find out the Technicals. I am sure windeguy has already done that so can you share !!

Olly and the Team

Feb 7, 2007
Yes I have heard the same thing from a client of mine in Higuey, he moved to a new house and got some kind of new meter that was running and racking up kW even if there was no power in the entire circuit ....

I guess we are all in for a "BIG SURPRISE" and lots of hassle when these "smart" meters become more widespread.

AND, PLEASE, post the pic of the meter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi, Yes thats a great Idea Beeza ? then at least we can google it and find out the Technicals. I am sure windeguy has already done that so can you share !!

Olly and the Team

Since I don't yet have the personal headache of a smart power meter I can't take a picture of mine. But here are some others that are probably not the ones used in the DR:
smart_meter.jpg

BGE to Install Smart Meters. Not Everyone is Happy About it. | South River Source

smart-meter-640.jpg

http://mashable.com/2011/02/08/smart-grid-social-media/

How to Read Your New Smart Meter by HelioPower - YouTube

They can look remarkably like Non-smart meters.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi All,
Perhaps we should ask them - Edenorte - for a Certificate of Calibration - Certificado de Calibracion - before allowing them to install a new Smart Meter. If they cannot provide it when you go to the fiscal you can say " they would not provide a certificate of Calibration" and discredit them at there own game. I am sure someone on this thread can put together a "letter to hand to the installers" and a copy to the supervisor in Sosua and Prodecom? that says we have no evidence that this meter is calibrated correctly and dispute the reading!
Hit them before it really starts!

Olly and the Team

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I am confused how can they run kwh when the circuit is cut off ??? Or is it when theres a power outage ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The new smart meters may have an achilles heel though.

FBI: Smart Meter Hacks Likely to Spread — Krebs on Security

I have been told that this is available here as well for the price of 20k RD. Can't confirm, but if it has been accomplished next door in PR, then I guess it's possible.

It is no surprise that a local hack for smart meters is already available. If it can be worked around, they will find a way to do it. On a side note, I was very surprised to read that the optical connection required to allow a computer to communicate (and reprogram) a smart meter cost $400 US. That seems like a very high price for an optical interface.

So much for everyone ever paying for what they actually consume.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am confused how can they run kwh when the circuit is cut off ??? Or is it when theres a power outage ?

People are seeing the smart meters charge erratically for electricity usage. A quick internet search shows a number of complaints about this wherever smart meters are installed, not just in the DR. I don't want to say 'it happens everywhere" but it should not happen at all.

Miro

Feb 14, 2012
I don't think you have a smart meter, Its just digital meter, versus an analog meter (with dials) Also Edenorte has no way of doing time of use. Was the meter at zero when installed?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think you have a smart meter, Its just digital meter, versus an analog meter (with dials) Also Edenorte has no way of doing time of use. Was the meter at zero when installed?

Yes, and it keeps running at the same speed. Regardless of usage...

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
And I just tried to google it. You cannot find a thing about it, or the company who made it.

Who said edenorte is not smart? And that they are crooks?

BelgianK

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree that the meter belgiank has looks like a non-smart digital meter. All efforts to find more information using the information from the picture of that meter have resisted all efforts using Google to find out more about it. It is Google Proof!

Cutting all power consumption and having the meter still draw power is certainly a huge problem that is sounding all too familiar.

Feb 7, 2007
Yes it is a "smart" smart meter, China made. The same person here told me the meter they installed him was a Chinese crap. Seems like it's the same meter.