Orange Dominicana roaming : a rip off ? No bluntly obscene.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
You call from Ouanaminthe to Dajabon.

293 pesos per minute ...US$ 7.51 per minute with Orange Flex

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well, you're calling from DR to Haiti. That call comes all the way to Santo Domingo, and goes all the way back to Ouanaminthe. Unfortunately, that's the way cell phones work.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Both Orange and Claro rip people off for cell phone charges. Rates are 3x + those in Thailand although average wages are similar.

Local charge is 2 Baht/min. International calls to the US and other countries are often without supplement to local rate under promotions.

yapask1

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Possibly anyone who wants to see the DR become a more competitive economy with more jobs and tourists.

yapask1

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Local charge is 2 Baht/min. International calls to the US and other countries are often without supplement to local rate under promotions.

Well, I don't want to step up for the local phone companies, but you have to take into account that Thailand has almost 100 million cellular lines (more lines than people in the country). The DR barely has around 11 million lines (also more than people). I work in the industry, and I know that the cost to serve 100 million users is much, much less than 10 times the cost serve 10 million. The more users you have, the cheaper it get to serve each one.
Furthermore, OP is complaining about the cost to call the country with possibly the most expensive rate (besides Cuba, that is) in the whole western world (Haiti). International carriers have to pay a lot of money to place a call to Haiti. With landlines it could be different, as they work on a different scheme. I don't know much about landlines, sorry.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Possibly anyone who wants to see the DR become a more competitive economy with more jobs and tourists.

yapask1

Actually, most US tourists think the rate here is pretty good. They don't get charged for incoming calls like they do at home.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
the way they present the rate is tricky

They sent you a text message to tell you to check the rate.
You believe there is an over charge ad you can afford it.
But US$7.51 per mn is not overcharge but an "organized robbo".

Why they do not text message the rate?

You call 10 mn and are charged US$ 75 nobody can say this is fair.

I checked their rates on Orange website the way they present the rate is tricky.
They play (mix) between $pesos and US$ , nothing is clear.