P like Photovoltaics

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hey DonP, I would also be interested (...) what you expect to run off those panels...for example, all lighting and general purpose receptables?

Yes, indeed everything... :bunny:

BTW, a pic would be also helpful, thanks.

dscf2953b.jpg

anordnungwerkstatt5.jpg

solarstrom2x30a.jpg

For the technically interested I have prepared an info sheet which I can send via email.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's one heck of a set-up :O

True, but it is what a person used to the normal usage of electricity would need when they are completely off the grid. Keep in mind that donP has never been connected to a power company.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Very much impressed

Have you been totally satisfied with the results?

Well, the system went into service yesterday afternoon, very little time to evaluate everything.
But I can say, that the installation was done very professionally, although that poor Swiss installer almost melted away on that roof under a cloudless sky.... :cool:

I am very impressed how much power the system generates.
At the moment I am running the deep well pump (3/4 HP) and yet the panels are still charging my batteries (a bit).

donP

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Please keep updates coming. I have been trying to crunch numbers about building my retirement house and Im weighing the considerable cost of a setup like that to the payoff (not just money but reliablility maint.etc)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Be prepared for more and longer blackouts

Im weighing the considerable cost of a setup like that to the payoff (not just money but reliablility maint.etc)

Blackouts will not be a thing of the past in the near future, expect even more to happen.
So, in most cases people who want to live a normal life need an inverter and batteries anyway.
From there to go solar is not that great (and expensive) a step.

Calculate the amortization time and you'll know whether it is worthwhile going solar.
A Yanadu life style would bring down costs considerably. ;)

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Gladly Accepted

Does your data sheet include cost?

It doesn't and it would not make sense to tell.

Every installation is different and requires different components (number and size of panels and charge controllers) and also depends what system already exists (inverters, batteries) to which the new system has to be adapted.
Thus an individual quotation is indispensable.

With my information you can look up the prices of the panels (I have seen them locally at approx. @20,000 RD$) and charge controllers (@ 600 US$ in USA), but then there are aluminium profiles, SS anchors, cabling, breaker boxes, and, of course mano de obra.

I do not have a breakdown of these items but was given a total price, which I gladly accepted. :)

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I understand donP's point that every installation will be different.

I did verify that the OutBack charge controllers used in his system were $600 US in the US and I also checked the solar panels which are sold for $250 US each in the US (or $20,000RD which is about $512 US according to donP's information.)

It is no surprise that the cost is double for the panels in the DR despite there being reportedly no duty to import solar energy devices. I can only attribute that 2 times the cost differential to people desiring to make a high profit on the panels. In this case for 12 panels that would be $3,144 more than the US price just on the panels alone. I have no idea what it would cost to import the panels yourself (but I suspect far less than $3,144 US) or how that would effect the installers desire to do the job. That will also vary.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Savings vs. Headaches

I have no idea what it would cost to import the panels yourself (but I suspect far less than $3,144 US)

Once you found out do not tell me.... :classic:

Certainly, you will save money.
Yet, you have to deal with customs here and arrange for transport to Cabarete (solar panels can break...)... :rolleyes:
and also import the aluminium (special) profiles, the stainless steel anchors, the special cables and other small accessories.
But allright, I guess, I like to spend (and not work...) :classic:

...or how that would effect the installers desire to do the job.
Well observed... :rolleyes:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good on Good Days

Well, the system went into service yesterday afternoon, very little time to evaluate everything.

On Friday the panels generated 6.1 kWh + 6.6 kWh = 12.7 kWh
Yesterday it was......................6.3 kWh + 6.3 kWh = 12.6 kWh

Of course, the weather conditions were perfect on those two days. :bunny:

I expect a similar performance today.
Just checked the reading, it is 7.1 kWh.

donP

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes, we can imagine donP has a big field lit up at night to extend the growing period full of lettuce, tomatoes, spinach etc. using his surplus power on many days.

yapask1

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
WELL DONE DON!

You're installation looks so neatly done. Your figures fall in line with mine.

I've taken several years to get mine up and going and adding/changing... etc. I'm sooo impressed with yours. BUt ... MY inverter is bigger then yours. LOL.

Very nice and thanks for sharing. WOW!

Ringo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when we wanted to go for solar power (briefly) we were about quoted half a million pesos for panels and work. did not include new batteries (we have 8 but would have to get rid of them and buy 16 new ones). it was a lot of money.
also, we live side by side with campo de golf: i have balls shot into the garden, house and roof on a daily basis. we would have to invest extra in nets to protect the panels...