Miscellaneous.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I am looking for information on the following.

Where would be the best place in SD to buy paintings, pottery, and various decor for a home. I would like to support the poorer local people if possible so maybe a flea market small shop or something similar. I need general things to fill the house, looking at empty walls and floors makes rattling around a big home seem even more empty than it is, paintings, pots, rugs etc. While I'm at it where is good for pots, pans, glasses, mugs and cutlery etc. I am presuming plaza lama but if there is somewhere better I'd appreciate the tips.

Also I will be needing a current regulator. How do people combat these power surges, are there small units that fit between the socket and the appliance, or is there some external regulator that can be fitted?

Also I have a few smaller electricals that don't seem to get enough power to run them properly. When I plug them in I hear a humming, but it doesn't produce enough power, is there something I can get to make the current stronger?

Is there an equivalent to the RAC who will come out and check a car or motorbike over for you before purchase, or is it down to each to find a decent mechanic they can trust?

For the moment my cheque is paid through Banreservas, what banks are best to get with to build some kind of credit rating for the future?

How can I check that no one is tapped into my electricity, and keep them off?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
In SD I would go to Illumel or places similar to obtain decor for the home. There are so many places in SD to obtain this stuff you couldn't list them all here.

Voltage regulators are available at any ferreteria or go to Ferreteria Americana where they are sure to have what you need. The voltage regulator will help with surges and "brown power" as well.

Mechanics are typically personal referrals. I don't know any in SD but I'm sure there are many who are good.

Credit through Banreservas is as good as anywhere. You may also want to check Banco Popular as they are the largest bank.

Checking tapped electricity is outside of my skill set...I'm sure someone will answer.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I like Cuesta [27 de Febrero, above Nacional Supermarket, at the corner of A. Lincoln] for household goods.

We have a voltage regulator, it's about the size of a shoebox, and we HAVE to use it in order for our microwave and new washing machine to work. The old washer worked fine with just a plug in the wall. I usually keep it set at 6, but sometimes the voltage is so bad I have to up it to 7 for the washer to function. I think we paid about $100US for it, worth every penny.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
The current control units. Surely I do not need to buy a unit for the kitchen, a unit for the living room, one for the bedroom etc? I would like to protect the fridge and microwave from surges, the TV and hi-Fi from surges and the TV in the bedroom. I only need to amplify the current on occasion.
Is there a cheaper option to the RD4000 regulators at every socket?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, I THINK there's a built in voltage regulator in the inverters we have [Mr.AE not here to ask] to protect from surges.

We move the one portable voltage regulator from the microwave to the washer as needed - it makes a humming sound when electric goes off, doesn't work on the inverter, so we never keep it plugged in.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The current control units. Surely I do not need to buy a unit for the kitchen, a unit for the living room, one for the bedroom etc? I would like to protect the fridge and microwave from surges, the TV and hi-Fi from surges and the TV in the bedroom. I only need to amplify the current on occasion.
Is there a cheaper option to the RD4000 regulators at every socket?

Some brands of TV, refrigerator, etc. have a voltage regulator built in. Not the US brand names, but the ones that are made for countries that do not have reliable power.