TV resources in the DR.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Apart from cable channels and satellite there are increasingly internet services. Some are World wide and some only available in specific countries through services such as strong VPN.

Maybe others would like to add to my collection........

Watch live TV channels broadcasting on the Internet. - many channels - random films, news from cnn , France, China etc.

http://www.netflix.com - films on offer vary from country - in DR English films are subtitled Spanish.
Subscription required.

via strong vpn

Sky ....

no dish ...

Watch online TV and download tv shows on demand with Sky Player

subscription

BBC - Homepage - wide range of programming

http://www.channel4.com

good UK commercial channel.

feel free to add.... My minimum claro subscription is good for normal TV but not for HD.

yapask1

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Also, Amazon Prime Instant Video which is $79 per year and has about the same selection as Netflix.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've just bought an Apple TV. I'm in Panama at the moment and I thought I'd give it a try at only $109 for the neat little box. I've got it plugged into my hotel room TV and it works really nicely. It has built in Netflix and a few other online channels like You Tube. It also streams movies from my computer and I can rent movies and TV shows through my iTunes account.

I imagine it will work even better when I get home to the DR because my internet provider (delancer) gives me a USA IP address with my package, so I will get the whole Netflix and itunes content.

I don't think it will be long before radio broadcast, cable or satellite TV will become obsolete. All you need these days is a decent internet connection.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You also have Hulu.com for movies and seasonal shows for a very low monthly fee just like Netflix.

if you have a way to get a US IP address. Otherwise you get this:

Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States
Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
if you have a way to get a US IP address. Otherwise you get this:
Yes a service such as strong VPN will give you this - about a dollar a week. I have heard of free services but results are patchy.

High Speed VPN Accounts, 24 Hour Live Help and Unlimited Bandwidth

I guess that someone coming to the DR could minimum budget for TV if not content with local cable.

VPN $55 a year. To UK for BBC/channel4 etc. or US for others.

Claro fee 1,700 pesos - about 42$ a month.

Subscriptions netflix etc. 10-20 $ a month.

Free services CNN news etc and films via Watch live TV channels broadcasting on the Internet.

Many other free services out there too.

Local cable service if required 12-20$ a month.

My impression is that satellite services are more pricey and require 18 month tie in period ; and possibly an address in the US or UK

Just been watching the C4 UK reality show about a group of young people marooned on a south pacific island : Shipwrecked. Building the pig pen was best - the pigs kept escaping.

Not found a way round the claro bill as yet.

yapask1

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I may be a complete idiot regarding this, but where do you guys get the stable internet connection needed for this?

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm w/ you Peter, I can't get it in Cabrera..... towers are too far away.... it comes and goes.
Hardwire n/a in my area

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yappy,
I just happened to be reading this......

How to Use HDMI to Connect Your Laptop to Your TV

The other thing about Strong VPN having the US address is being able to get Pandora Music (or Songza, if you prefer it).
DISH network gives you Sirius/XM channels.

Yes I connect my 38 inch TV to laptop using HDMI when friends come by. Otherwise I use a 20 inch monitor with VGA output or the self contained good screen.

By the way the laptop only consumes 6.85 watts Acer Aspire 5349-2899 $375 dollars worth with 4 hours battery life.

Yes VPN - you can get all US services. I think cheaper than satellite. Sky has also a new service ex Europe.

Thanks for the response - perhaps at the end I will summarize and if the authorities decide it could become a stcky thread. When I first moved to the DR I thought what shall I do about TV etc. - took some time to sort out.

yapask1

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I may be a complete idiot regarding this, but where do you guys get the stable internet connection needed for this?

BelgianK

In my area LT I get 95% stable internet connection with my ASDL line reasonably near the exchange. Predictably at peak hours for internet 9-11 and 2-4 weekdays you get dropouts but mainly only a few seconds. Also when there are bad storms I just turn off. You can download in advance with i-player and the like sufficient programming. If you read i-player instructions and possibly other sites also there are instructions to do this. This download process is quite tolerant of drop outs. On some channels you can adjust the download speed and hence the fidelity of the picture. I do not pay very much - if I attempt to watch HD many drop outs.

By the way people with shared connections , wi-fi spots etc in hotels do not get good results , the router etc. rations each connection. A friend staying at a condo negociated with the owners for the technician to allocate him 50% of total capacity - since it was a 50 apartment condo complex and they had a higher priced claro plan this worked. But if everyone renting a condo there tried it many more telephone lines would have been needed or an optical connection to the exchange.

yapask1

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, and there i was thinking yanandu will insipre us to watch seaweed grow instead of new season of glee.

but no, he can speak technical language and make sense. i feel he may be living in a large tropical mansion after all. he lies in a shade of coconut trees, young naked girls fan him with flabella of pure silk and peacock feathers. naked slaves wearing gold chains around their necks and ankles feed him with grapes and strawberries flown to DR in his private jet.
he gently touches the keyboard of his alienwear laptop with greasy, stubby fingers and he smirks every time he mentions solar ovens and seaweed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Your writing career is starting to take shape.....

But you're right -- Yappy Yap has got some mojo these days

He even responds coherently..:confused:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe high fever? in normal people it induces hallucinations and drowsiness, in yanandu it causes brief and wondrous moments of lucidity.
;)

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Your writing career is starting to take shape.....

But you're right -- Yappy Yap has got some mojo these days

He even responds coherently..:confused:

Yes, some people enjoy stargazing including myself in the clear sky here.

BBC - Science & Nature - Space - The Sky at Night

full_steam_ahead__slave_girl_of_mars_by_ethereas-d4rtlly.jpg

yapask1

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
gee, and there i was thinking yanandu will insipre us to watch seaweed grow instead of new season of glee.

but no, he can speak technical language and make sense. i feel he may be living in a large tropical mansion after all. he lies in a shade of coconut trees, young naked girls fan him with flabella of pure silk and peacock feathers. naked slaves wearing gold chains around their necks and ankles feed him with grapes and strawberries flown to DR in his private jet.
he gently touches the keyboard of his alienwear laptop with greasy, stubby fingers and he smirks every time he mentions solar ovens and seaweed.

You would make a great author for romance novels.:)