Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default TV resources in the DR.

Apart from cable channels and satellite there are increasingly internet services. Some are World wide and some only available in specific countries through services such as strong VPN.

Maybe others would like to add to my collection........

Watch live TV channels broadcasting on the Internet. - many channels - random films, news from cnn , France, China etc.

http://www.netflix.com - films on offer vary from country - in DR English films are subtitled Spanish.
    Subscription required.

via strong vpn

Sky ....

no dish ...

Watch online TV and download tv shows on demand with Sky Player

subscription

BBC - Homepage - wide range of programming

http://www.channel4.com

good UK commercial channel.

feel free to add.... My minimum claro subscription is good for normal TV but not for HD.

yapask1

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, Amazon Prime Instant Video which is $79 per year and has about the same selection as Netflix.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

the new VLC player also has TV channels for wierd stuff.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just bought an Apple TV. I'm in Panama at the moment and I thought I'd give it a try at only $109 for the neat little box. I've got it plugged into my hotel room TV and it works really nicely. It has built in Netflix and a few other online channels like You Tube. It also streams movies from my computer and I can rent movies and TV shows through my iTunes account.

I imagine it will work even better when I get home to the DR because my internet provider (delancer) gives me a USA IP address with my package, so I will get the whole Netflix and itunes content.

I don't think it will be long before radio broadcast, cable or satellite TV will become obsolete. All you need these days is a decent internet connection.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lisagauss View Post
    Also, Amazon Prime Instant Video which is $79 per year and has about the same selection as Netflix.
    You also have Hulu.com for movies and seasonal shows for a very low monthly fee just like Netflix.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_DR View Post
    You also have Hulu.com for movies and seasonal shows for a very low monthly fee just like Netflix.
    if you have a way to get a US IP address. Otherwise you get this:

Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States
    Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    if you have a way to get a US IP address. Otherwise you get this:
    Yes a service such as strong VPN will give you this - about a dollar a week. I have heard of free services but results are patchy.

High Speed VPN Accounts, 24 Hour Live Help and Unlimited Bandwidth

I guess that someone coming to the DR could minimum budget for TV if not content with local cable.

VPN $55 a year. To UK for BBC/channel4 etc. or US for others.

Claro fee 1,700 pesos - about 42$ a month.

Subscriptions netflix etc. 10-20 $ a month.

Free services CNN news etc and films via Watch live TV channels broadcasting on the Internet.

Many other free services out there too.

Local cable service if required 12-20$ a month.

My impression is that satellite services are more pricey and require 18 month tie in period ; and possibly an address in the US or UK

Just been watching the C4 UK reality show about a group of young people marooned on a south pacific island : Shipwrecked. Building the pig pen was best - the pigs kept escaping.

Not found a way round the claro bill as yet.

yapask1

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yappy,
    I just happened to be reading this......

How to Use HDMI to Connect Your Laptop to Your TV

The other thing about Strong VPN having the US address is being able to get Pandora Music (or Songza, if you prefer it).
    DISH network gives you Sirius/XM channels.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be a complete idiot regarding this, but where do you guys get the stable internet connection needed for this?

BelgianK

11. Likes CaptnGlenn liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast