Santo Domingo to Sosua, with dog and cat

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
:)
End of September, I will land at Santo Domingo airport and then must go to Sosua. So far, no problems ... But I'll be with my dog and cat. What do you think is the best solution? Bus trip (but is it ok with dog and cat?) Rent a car?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Why are you not flying into Puerta Plata? I would change your flight if possible. If you would like info on a rental car company who will meet you at the airport with a vehicle send me a private message. I would suggest you go this route. It is an easy drive.

LTSTeve

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I purchased a dog that was a puppy in Santo Domingo and was not able to take the animal on board a Caribe Express or Metro Bus. It is not allowed. We ended up taking a string of short hop buses and guaguas to get to the north coast. Not something I would recommend for a newbie. Your other options would be to rent a car or hire a driver/taxi. Puerto Plata would indeed by much easier.

NY2DR

Nov 21, 2009
End of September, I will land at Santo Domingo airport and then must go to Sosua. So far, no problems ... But I'll be with my dog and cat. What do you think is the best solution? Bus trip (but is it ok with dog and cat?) Rent a car?

I live in Sosua and traveled to Santo Domingo with my dogs for a little trip. We came in a Jeep and are headed back tomorrow. I wouldn't travel any other way unless you take the advice of flying straight in to POP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen a dominican couple travelling on a metro bus with their dog, one of them little rat like chis. poor thing had to go in a luggage compartment under the bus, in a little transporter.
so i guess it can be done: just ask nicely and be super polite. however, travelling with suitcases, in bus's belly, alone in the dark (and heat), can be stressful for an animal so i suggest a rented car or a taxi. pay more but give your animals a decent ride.
ps if animals get car sick you can give them tiny amount of dramamine (sold here as dramanol).

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
hi everyone, thanks for replies... I finally manage to find a flight from Marseilles to POP, stopping in Frankfurt. Should be ok
16 hours though... :)