bayahibe

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You would have a better shot at making a living on Mars. Maybe you mean to live there?

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
You would have a better shot at making a living on Mars. Maybe you mean to live there?
I suspect he meant FOR LIVING there (not to make a living)...
I have never lived there, but have been in the resorts several times...For a person receiving outside income enough for comfortable survival, or perhaps someone offering services over the Internet to the wider public, the Dominicus area (in front of the Dominicus resorts) could be a nice place to live (don't know about the original small fishermen's village called Bayahibe)...particularly for a person who does not mind being around Italians...I understand that most people living in the area around these resorts are Italians, as are the owners of most local businesses.
The location, between La Romana and Punta Cana, and minutes from either with the new Coral highway (with Higuey about 35 mins also), may be its main advantage over PC...Myself, I'd probably choose Juan Dolio over Bayahibe, for its closeness to SD, but Bayahibe does deserve consideration.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes, good area. But most of shore taken up by hotels so a reasonably priced condo/villa next to the sea may be difficult to find......

yapask1

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
:) yes I meant to live there, especially compared to the North Coast (sosua - cabarete)
:)

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
living in Bayahibe

24/7 electricity via CEPM but at high rate of 14rd per kwh.
Decent internet connection.
Local council (Ayuntamiento) keeps the village clean, regularly maintains and improves roads, beaches, malecon etc.
Well stocked supermarket with prices comparable to Jumbo in La Romana.
Good bakery (Trigo de Oro) 5 minutes drive away in Dominicus.
Small gym with zumba, yoga etc.
Good vet.
Good graphics/printing company in town (useful if you have a business).
Everything is within walking distance. If you don't have a vehicle you can get by, use guagua to go to Dominicus (nearby resort styled residential area) or La Romana.
Two residential areas to choose from - Bayahibe and Dominicus. Lot's of Italians living in Dominicus.
Beach front accommodation pretty much impossible to find in both locations.
In Bayahibe there is only one apartment complex with a pool. More choice and more modern accommodations (with pools) in Dominicus.
Expect to pay monthly rental between US$500 and US$800 for 2 bedroom condo. US$600 to US$1200+ for a house.
Hard to find apartments with a private garden.
Village is safe although there have been home robberies in the past but none that I've heard of for a while.
Fewer beaches to choose from compared to up north. Nearest alternative beach is Punta Cana.
On the new Coral Highway 35 minutes to Punta Cana, 10 to La Romana. Hopefully the future toll fees won't be too expensive.
If you are into diving then it's a top spot with 30 dive sites in the area. Decent snorkeling off the beach.
Cabarete has more (and better quality) restaurants and accommodation and there are more activities to do there.
Much quieter social scene compared to Cabarete/Sosua.
Bayahibe is a small village so living here can feel a bit boring and isolated but it depends on your priorities I guess. Personally although I like it here I'd prefer to live in Cabarete but Bayahibe suits us better for our business. If you are young and want some action and a vibrant social scene then go to Cabarete. Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have stayed there a few times.
I definetely liked what I saw!
Lots of nice small condos not on the beach.
Lots of "ExPats" walking all around,mostly "Italianos".
I got good "Vibs" everywhere I went.
Not a "Party Town", more like a small retirement community.
If that helps????
As always here on DR!, we STRONGLY advise,..go stay there for a few months and see how you fit in, andif like the town.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC