Fishing in Rivers and Freshwater Lakes??

lavegadega

Sep 7, 2012
Has anyone fished any of the many mountain streams/rivers or lakes found throughout the country - or in valleys? I'm an avid fly fisherman and dying to know if and what may be caught in these fresh water gems. If so, location or name of water/area would be greatly appreciated.
- And, if anyone is familiar with any bonefish possibilities out along the coast....:classic:
Many thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The folk lore story I heard is that there was a hurricane, George I think, that dumped a lot of rain on the DR years ago. That rain swept out the fish population from the streams and they never recovered. I got that response when I asked essentially the same question.

True or not? I leave that for others to chime in. As for lakes, I have yet to be at a lake in the DR. There are none close to my house in Cabarete.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are peacock bass in some of the reservoirs. Like all bass species they aren't "fished", they're "hunted" with guile and a variety of lures, but not worms.

I've heard that largemouth bass have been introduced in lakes. Don't know for sure.

I've always been curious about bass fishing in the freshwater reservoirs here. Since bass aren't a fish that can be easily caught from the shore and spook easily, my gut says there may be some monsters out there.

I've caught Peacocks in canals and Lake Okeechobee in FL. They can be monsters, 2-3' long, and ferocious fighters. Not a typical super light tackle fish necessarily.

But you'll need a boat. Therein is the rub. Small boat.

lavegadega

Sep 7, 2012
Bugger George! Well, I did stop and walked into a small river 10 min south of LaVega and found a few caddis larva and mayfly nymphs holding onto the underside of rocks. These are the baby stages of future winged flies that emerge from the water when they mature. For the novice, one find these and there is hope as they are a large part of diet to fish, and to many fish the main diet. No insects, means either or all of strong pollution, high temps, zero dissolved oxygen or water insufficient in micro organisms to provide for plant life, aquatic insects and ultimately fish.
Your take on bass is great.
I will update if I find things of interest and or from personal experience down the road.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
A friend of mine sent me this photo - it was caught from a river in province Santiago Rodriguez this week. Note sure what fish it this.

34sfnna.jpg

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I know there is plenty of fish in the main Yassica river.

I have also seen people fish from the bridge in Jamao del norte.

There is a big lake between La Vega and SD, and you can see the fish being sold on the autopista. Another big lake in the neighborhood of Bonao.

BelgianK

May 29, 2006
If you want bone-fishing, then a short hop up to the Turks and Caicos Islands would be worth the trip if you can afford it. They have the salt flats that the fish thrive in. I've been to some of the flats and there are thousands of fish per acre. They put up a real fight, but they aren't much good for eating.

Here's a list of what fish can be found in fresh water there:
Freshwater fish of Dominican Republic

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I know there is plenty of fish in the main Yassica river.

I have also seen people fish from the bridge in Jamao del norte.

There is a big lake between La Vega and SD, and you can see the fish being sold on the autopista. Another big lake in the neighborhood of Bonao.

BelgianK

Good crabbing under the Jamao bridge at night. At El Chorro in Jamao there are about 10 kids that spare fish. Short stubby looking fish that look half bass/eel. Have seen the big perch looking fish caught also. Kid gave me his mask once to take a look but felt it was better not to know what lurks where i swim.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Where can you find the rainbow trout here? Would love to try that.

Anybody know if you can buy eel in Jamao? My wife loves eel in green sauce (Belgian specialty, and her mother has a fantastic recipe)

BelgianK

If you want bone-fishing, then a short hop up to the Turks and Caicos Islands would be worth the trip if you can afford it. They have the salt flats that the fish thrive in. I've been to some of the flats and there are thousands of fish per acre. They put up a real fight, but they aren't much good for eating.

Here's a list of what fish can be found in fresh water there:
Freshwater fish of Dominican Republic

lavegadega

Sep 7, 2012
I fished the middle Caicos for a week in 1988 for bonefish, and if its anything like that nowadays that is one seriously fun thing to do. Not to mention the many cuda that come sniffin around close enough to see their eyeballs. For people who's never seen one, a bone fish is like a streamlined whitefish in 2-5+ pound range, almost invisible due to its platinum-translucent colour and with teeth replaced by top and bottom yaws of bone used to crush crabs they stir up from bottom. As PeterInBrat know, to hook one is like tying your line to a bullet. How a fish that size can take the line off your reel and fight like that is simply hard to believe.
Thanks guys for links and pix!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I fished the middle Caicos for a week in 1988 for bonefish, and if its anything like that nowadays that is one seriously fun thing to do. Not to mention the many cuda that come sniffin around close enough to see their eyeballs. For people who's never seen one, a bone fish is like a streamlined whitefish in 2-5+ pound range, almost invisible due to its platinum-translucent colour and with teeth replaced by top and bottom yaws of bone used to crush crabs they stir up from bottom. As PeterInBrat know, to hook one is like tying your line to a bullet. How a fish that size can take the line off your reel and fight like that is simply hard to believe.
Thanks guys for links and pix!!
Bonefish are also all around the FL Keys...

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
There are peacock bass in some of the reservoirs. Like all bass species they aren't "fished", they're "hunted" with guile and a variety of lures, but not worms.

I've heard that largemouth bass have been introduced in lakes. Don't know for sure.

I've always been curious about bass fishing in the freshwater reservoirs here. Since bass aren't a fish that can be easily caught from the shore and spook easily, my gut says there may be some monsters out there.

I've caught Peacocks in canals and Lake Okeechobee in FL. They can be monsters, 2-3' long, and ferocious fighters. Not a typical super light tackle fish necessarily.

But you'll need a boat. Therein is the rub. Small boat.

I'd love more information on where peacock bass can be found. I have fly fishing gear to handle most species in fresh and saltwater. And a kayak I can fish from.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In the high mountain streams above Constanza. I understand that they were introduced by the Leon family but that they are voracious eaters and the native fish disappear.
Bass in the Hatillo reservoir. There is at least one Bass Fishing Club in Bonao.

I wonder about the upper Yaque, Bao, Mao and Guayubin??? Maybe something there.?? No idea..

HB