GREAT eggs Benedict in Sosua!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Everyone loves the "pub grub" at Britannia Pub in Sosua...it's been there forever, everything Ive had there has been good, the prices are not bad at all, their happy hour prices and 99 peso specials are awesome, best fish and chips of any place I've tried in Sosua/Cabarete (and I think Ive tried them all)...but I never expected such great eggs Benedict for breakfast.

The menu proclaimed "made to order hollandaise" over poached eggs on a toasted english muffin with ham...same as most menus...but I was skeptical. Ive ordered this dish in dozens of restaurants over the years, and more often than not the hollandaise is disappointing...and/or the eggs are overcooked or not even poached. The sauce often congeals after a few minutes or just doesn't have that amazing flavor or texture you only get when you make the sauce fresh each time...there are so many ingredients that clash...so it can't sit, even in a double boiler or something similar...

Anyway....Britannia's version is excellent...eggs nicely poached, english muffin perfectly toasted, and the sauce was superb...good to the last drop...which i mopped up with the remains of the english muffin! I'd put it up next to many I've had from some serious "fine dining" restaurants....and it came with a great side of fresh fruit (or potatoes if you want). Price is 220 pesos...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My wife and I just had the fish and chips at Britannia today. It is as good as anywhere that I have ever had it. Maybe better.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Anyway....Britannia's version is excellent...eggs nicely poached, english muffin perfectly toasted, and the sauce was superb...good to the last drop...which i mopped up with the remains of the english muffin! I'd put it up next to many I've had from some serious "fine dining" restaurants....and it came with a great side of fresh fruit (or potatoes if you want). Price is 220 pesos...

Oh no, now Britannia's been judged by a pig, too :p

Thanks for the heads up!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Mr Hartley has been promising me eggs benedict for 4 years. I will advise him!!

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
eggs Benedict for breakfast (...) Price is 220 pesos...

this is obviously a gringo price. eggs for 220 pesos? you can make en egg at home for 6 pesos! they will not last!

:rambo: :D :cool: :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
this is obviously a gringo price. eggs for 220 pesos? you can make en egg at home for 6 pesos! they will not last!

:rambo: :D :cool: :bunny::bunny::bunny:

tut tut its about 10 pesos for an egg these days unless you have your own chickens like we do. Calculate the making of the sauce which include vinegar, butter and egg yolks, the labor to make the sauce...no, not too much for eggs benedict.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
i was there for the first time in years last week. had a great time with food and drink. sue is super nice and pretty hot, not a bad combo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i tell you, acira, 6 pesos and no more. or a handful of seaweed if you have your farm. poaching using solar oven is very easy too:
Google

you can also have a bowl of rice instead of eggs. helps local community.

tries to keep straight face

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
do they make the sauce? or is it a packet job?

I know that you think they do, but I have had some good packet sauces.....

I've tried packet hollandaise mix and hollandaise from a jar. They always congeal and/or separate as they cool, and rarely taste like the real thing. The sauce at Britannia did not congeal or separate at all. BUT...if it wasn't "made to order" I don't really care..as long as it is as good as it was, I'll be back!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Brittania used to be a great place but charging taxes on rersidents was not their best move

Meals or products sold to locals are not legally exempt from taxes. Somebody has to pay them. I know some places used to not collect as a way of discounting for locals, but things are tighter now and penalties are more severe.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Brittania used to be a great place but charging taxes on rersidents was not their best move

T.E.

I guess you already know this...it is illegal to not charge a 16% sales tax. Smaller businesses fly underneath the radar and get away with it, but a large place, or a well established place--especially in a tourist area--would get a huge fine and some other financial penalties based on how long the business has been open and operating. The fines could put you out of business.

PS. If anyone doubts this, let me know and i will go into a more boring, detailed explanation of exactly what the government does when they come into you business if they suspect you are not charging the neccassary taxes.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
excuse my previous posts, i have been possessed by the spirit of r23 :) ;)

frank is roght. it is illegal not to charge 16%. it can lead into serious problems. but some restaurants will not add 16% to your bill if paid in cash. it is a form if attracting customers, i guess. but the clients should keep their mouth closed about it. and do not post name of such businesses here :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
excuse my previous posts, i have been possessed by the spirit of r23 :) ;)

frank is roght. it is illegal not to charge 16%. it can lead into serious problems. but some restaurants will not add 16% to your bill if paid in cash. it is a form if attracting customers, i guess. but the clients should keep their mouth closed about it. and do not post name of such businesses here :)

Very risky. Nothing, repeat nothing stays secret in this country. And when the authorities get wind of it, inspectors will be there to eat and will pay in cash.

A better way to deal with locals is to offer a scaled down menu, like La Roca did. The food was fine for the price, but it was not the same as when you ordered from the regular menu and paid the higher price.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Why not just give regular customers a special price, but still add and pay the taxes on it? That was the way we did it in our business in Belgium.

Our members paid one price, passersby paid another price. Dutifully recorded on our cash register, and taxes paid on both. Perfectly legal.

BelgianK