Dollars or Pesos in Santiago

Greg81

Aug 12, 2012
Do you think I can get by with US Dollars in Santiago or will I have to convert to Pesos? Thanks

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You could "get by", but you definitely won't like the stores and restaurants conversion rates........
Stick with pesos.......make life here easy on yourself.........

B in Santiago

Greg81

Aug 12, 2012
Thanks for the info. Another question, can I exchange Dollars for Pesos at the airport in Santiago? I'll be flying into Santiago with Dollars in my wallet and will need to take a taxi to my hotel. I assume the taxi wants Pesos and not Dollars?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
You CAN change money at the airport but they have a poor exchange rate.

you will get ripped off at the airport. you can pay the taxi in dollars. The airport taxis are all happy to get dollars, but check the price of the ride before you get in or he may try to charge extra. The taxi rates are set for different areas and all written down on a board.

I would suggest that you then change money at a bank but make sure you know the rate first. you will get around 39 at a bank but on the street you will get maybe 38 and at the airport you will get about 35.!

dave

ps. most larger stores will take dollars also but you will need pesos for everything else.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Take a taxi to your hotel. You can bargain with him, and make sure you do not pay more than US$20...closer to 15 would be about right...but spread the wealth for good service.

Once in the hotel, find out where the closest bank is (Depends on what hotel you are going to). Go to the bank and exchange a few bills to get a feeling for the transaction. Later on, you can go to a "Casa de Cambio"--exchange house--and get a little better rate...but unless you are exchanging millions it really does not matter much.

HB

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
You can also get a "starter" supply of pesos out of an ATM.
Then, as HB says, use the cambios (exchange "banks") and never on the street.
RUSA is a good cambio up the street from Aloha Sol hotel on Called de Sol downtown.

[note: a store that says BANCA isn't a bank or a cambio — its an off-track betting parlor]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can also get a "starter" supply of pesos out of an ATM.
Then, as HB says, use the cambios (exchange "banks") and never on the street.
RUSA is a good cambio up the street from Aloha Sol hotel on Called de Sol downtown.

[note: a store that says BANCA isn't a bank or a cambio — its an off-track betting parlor]

Greg81 - read the above TWICE.... Banco (w/ an O) is what you want.... they're bigger and very NoAmerican looking
You"ll be fine

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you want to be really safe, take the earlier advice about gettin $50US from the ATM - automatic conversion for some 'walking around' money until you get settled

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
then look for Caribe tours/cambio office today they?d give you 39.10 to the dollar.

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
You are going to need $30 us dollars. You need to purchase a tourist card at the airport for $10 and the taxi to the hotel will cost $20. Exchange money the next day at rusa.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
or go across the street from Aloha hotel you will find a shiny builiding with the name Banco Popular. This is one of the largest banks in the DR. They have ATM's and you can also go inside to change a few dollars to start you off.

I've marked the location for you here:
https://foursquare.com/v/banco-popular/4c3c5c24980320a1d67e8ae4

I've found that the Caribe Tours offer the best exchange rate but that will be matched by most exchanges if you know the rate and ask for it.

But in reality it is like Hillbilly indicated; if you're just changing a couple of hundred bucks the difference might add up to a few beers. I would much rather go for quick service and ease of use then running around getting the best rate.