Budweiser

Charlie Tuna

Dec 2, 2011
Hey guys,

Im fast approaching my next vacation. I love nothing more than my favourite bud light and clearly i cant bring from Denver with me. Last time I couldnt buy them anywhere in Sosua. Is there anywhere in the playa dorada complex i can buy take out or in the glass cold?

thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Regular Bud is around, but not light. I guess you will have to settle for Presidente light or Brahma (yech!) light.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You may actually have to try some "real" beer...BTW why couldn't you bring some? AFAIK there's no law that prohibits this.

Charlie Tuna

Dec 2, 2011
You may actually have to try some "real" beer...BTW why couldn't you bring some? AFAIK there's no law that prohibits this.

I agree but my suitcase is fully loaded and with all of these crummy bagage limits i aint able to cut my quota with my beers. Hell I could go through a dozen bud lights in an afternoon!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree but my suitcase is fully loaded and with all of these crummy bagage limits i aint able to cut my quota with my beers. Hell I could go through a dozen bud lights in an afternoon!

We understand it might be a hardship, but we hope you are able to survive with the locally available products.

presidente%20beer%20dominican%20republic.gif
presidente%20light%20beer%20dominican%20republic.jpg
bohemia%20beer%20dominican%20republic.gif
ambar%20beer%20dominican%20republic.gif
quisqueya%20beer%20dominican%20republic.jpg
soberana%20beer.jpg
brahma%20beer.jpg

I would go for the one on the left and avoid the two on the right. Heineken is also brewed locally but like Brahma is but no favorite of mine

http://www.therealdr.com/dominican-republic-life/dominican-republic-beer.html

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
They sell Budweiser at the bar & Restaurant at Jose O'Shay's in Cabarete on the beach. They've been selling it now for 10 years.

Frank

jeviduty

Jul 1, 2011
Carrefour carries a wide selection of beers, though im not sure if they carry bud light.

ray718

May 28, 2010
Charlie Tuna,

you know the old saying, "when in rome do as the romans do". you are in the dominican republic drink what the locals drink. you should give budweiser a break too. who knows you might end up have a new taste for a different beer. enjoy your vacation

ray718

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we aren't talking beer here, are we???

I always thought Budweiser was a laxative in a can...

BelgianK

Charlie Tuna

Dec 2, 2011
We understand it might be a hardship, but we hope you are able to survive with the locally available products.

presidente%20beer%20dominican%20republic.gif
presidente%20light%20beer%20dominican%20republic.jpg
bohemia%20beer%20dominican%20republic.gif
ambar%20beer%20dominican%20republic.gif
quisqueya%20beer%20dominican%20republic.jpg
soberana%20beer.jpg
brahma%20beer.jpg

I would go for the one on the left and avoid the two on the right. Heineken is also brewed locally but like Brahma is but no favorite of mine

Dominican Republic Beer

Thank you very much Windeguy for taking the time to demonstrate the local brews, i will be sure to try them out. Thanks again

Charlie Tuna

Dec 2, 2011
small market across the street from the chinese restaurant in cabarete has budweiser, for 1/5th of the cost at jose oshays :)

Yep thanks! Will be in PD this time but i might head down to Cabarete for a day and night. While Jose O shays is far from bad its not worth the prices. When im on holiday i dont hold back but its just a bit of a rip off.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I had the fortunate luck to work in one of Washington DC's famous Zagat rated restaurants: "Belga Cafe." It's on Capitol Hill in Washington DC and is one of the Capitol's most famous Belgium Restaurant's. They have a menu (see link below) of their very extensive beer selection. While i worked there, we carried over 50 different Belgium beers--each one came with its own glass sent from the brewery in Belgium--we had one glass that was a half yard tall and sat inside a wooden holder to keep it from tipping over. i was both a bartender and waiter at the restaurant and got to try one beer of my choice after each shift. i must of tried around 40 different beers...loved them all. Working there quickly led me to believe that the Belgiums make the best beers in the galaxy.

Now, when i fly back and forth from DR to Norway, i always fly through Brussels airport (BRU) where i always enjoy one of the dozen of different beers that they have in the airport. Belgiums know beer, chocolate, and fat girls like its no one's business. My hat's off to them.

Here's the restaurant ber menu where i worked at: Belga Caf?

PS. i'll be back in Belgium on October 8th, and will enjoy dark beer, dark chocolate, and white fat girls before heading back to the DR. i liken my experience in Belgium to a Mocha Cafe Latte.
Frank

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
i must of tried around 40 different beers...loved them all. Working there quickly led me to believe that the Belgiums make the best beers in the galaxy.

It's a spiritually-uplifting experience to enter the world of Belgian ales. I once had a very strange one, the oddest beer I've ever tasted, that had the grassy essence of far-from-ripe wild strawberries. The label was a work of art.