Domican Republic at 105 on list and among least competitive Latin American countries

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Geneva.- Chile remains the most competitive country in Latin America, a region which despite progress in that area in recent years, has faced huge challenges, such as a poor infrastructure, a weak education system and little investment in research and development (R + D), EFE reports.
Dominican Republic figures among the four Lat-Am countries which fared worst in the study.

The finding is from the Global Competitiveness Report 2012-2013 released today in Geneva by the World Economic Forum (WEF), which analyzes the situation of 144 countries.
The study by seven economists led by the Spaniard Xavier Sala of Columbia University (U.S.) measures the competitiveness of countries according to a scale and detects the obstacles which are hampring them in that area.
Switzerland heads the list once again, followed by Singapore, Finland, Sweden, Holland, Germany, the U.S., Britain, Hong Kong and Japan.
?Although macroeconomic conditions and access to finance have deteriorated significantly, labor and financial system reform has been applied, which will help improve the situation in the medium term,? WEF economist Be?at Bilbao told Efe.
Ranked 39th was Chile, the first Latin American country on the list, followed by Panama (40), Brazil (48), Mexico (53), Costa Rica (57), Peru (61), Colombia (69) Uruguay (74), Ecuador (86), Honduras (90), Argentina (94), El Salvador (101), Bolivia (104), Dominican Republic (105), Nicaragua (108), Paraguay (116), and Venezuela (126 ).
---------

My comment:
I am sure there is a positive side to this like, "Well there is almost nowhere to go but up. " or "The statistics used by the experts in Switzerland overlooked the wonderful shopping malls in the DR" or "The DR is doing better than 39 other countries below them on the list of 144 countries".

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I like this interactive map which tells you the rank for all countries. Scandinavian countries always rank very high:

Global Competitiveness | World Economic Forum - Global Competitiveness

<iframe height="700" src="http://widgets.weforum.org/global-competitiveness-index" frameBorder="0" width="560" allowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen=""></iframe>

No sure what the heck happened with this link. i tried to embed it.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
The study by seven economists led by the Spaniard Xavier Sala of Columbia University (U.S.) measures the competitiveness of countries according to a scale and detects the obstacles which are hampring them in that area.
Ranked 39th was Chile, the first Latin American country on the list, followed by Panama (40), Brazil (48), Mexico (53), Costa Rica (57), Peru (61), Colombia (69) Uruguay (74), Ecuador (86), Honduras (90), Argentina (94), El Salvador (101), Bolivia (104), Dominican Republic (105), Nicaragua (108), Paraguay (116), and Venezuela (126 ).
---------

My comment:
I am sure there is a positive side to this like, "Well there is almost nowhere to go but up. " or "The statistics used by the experts in Switzerland overlooked the wonderful shopping malls in the DR" or "The DR is doing better than 39 other countries below them on the list of 144 countries".
The positive side is that this is a study done by a private group of economists...they are probably doing something reasonable, but ultimately it only represents findings from applyingg some arbitrary measures that these economists chose...measuring "competitiveness" is not as objective as say measuring life expectancy, or trade balance....Also, the ranking doesn't necessarily tell us the true magnitude of the difference between the higher and the lower ranked countries....that is, #10 is NOT necessarily twice as competitive as #20, and this is not twice as competitive as #40, etc. The difference between #100 and #10 may only be a few percentage points (in whichever scale they are using)...that being said, it would be better to score higher, that is obvious.