Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Visa situation - please

Hello Everybody,

I am planning to come and live in the DR likely this year and I would like

to know what is the current situation with the stay on a tourist visa and apply for
    residency:

- is current tourist visa still 60 days, renewable for 60 extra days?
    if one overstay and pay the exit fee, are there serious consequences like not been able to re entry?

- to apply for permanent residency one need to do it from own country at the consulate?

pls advice, its very important

thank you all ;-))

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Do a search of DR1 and you will find out that no one knows the new Immigration Policy, or even if there is one. Just come down and don't worry. No one will throw you out of the country or deport you.

If you want to apply for Residency you do need to go your local DR Embassy to start with.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine went to immigration headquarters today and renewed his tourist card overstay time for another 3 months, he is doing this without leaving the country for the last two years!!! His advantage is that he doesn't speak English and can't read this board...

4. Likes arrugala liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you mio,

i thought a 60 days tourist visa can be extendend only for 60 days: where is your friend from?

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    A friend of mine went to immigration headquarters today and renewed his tourist card overstay time for another 3 months, he is doing this without leaving the country for the last two years!!! His advantage is that he doesn't speak English and can't read this board...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by giga View Post
    thank you mio,

i thought a 60 days tourist visa can be extendend only for 60 days: where is your friend from?
    Germany

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I called the DR Consulate in Boston when I was there in July.
    They had no idea what I was talking about,in terms of the new residency/visa policy.
    Figures!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you Criss

do you also ask re the tourist visa 60 days extension? what happens if one overstay: will it joepardize
    future resident visa application?

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    I called the DR Consulate in Boston when I was there in July.
    They had no idea what I was talking about,in terms of the new residency/visa policy.
    Figures!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

be aware that if you pay your overstay at the border/airport to save the paperwork
    else immigration does not accept that you payed already .. even with stamps in your passport, they will charge and fine you as much as possible
    so i told them to sit on my middle finger and grow a beard

i wait till the situation changes before i try again
    oh and this .. if during the process you get a new passport from your government save the old one .. alse they will ask you to find it and/or get extremely insecure-nerveaus and irritated

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What?..

11. Likes davetuna liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DunHill View Post
    be aware that if you pay your overstay at the border/airport to save the paperwork
    else immigration does not accept that you payed already .. even with stamps in your passport, they will charge and fine you as much as possible
    so i told them to sit on my middle finger and grow a beard

i wait till the situation changes before i try again
    oh and this .. if during the process you get a new passport from your government save the old one .. alse they will ask you to find it and/or get extremely insecure-nerveaus and irritated
    Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    What?..
    It appears that everyone in the government is either aware of the new regulations, totally unaware of the new regulations, or just making up new regulations as they go along. When dealing with DR government officials about this, your results may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast