Visa situation - please

giga

Feb 11, 2012
Hello Everybody,

I am planning to come and live in the DR likely this year and I would like

to know what is the current situation with the stay on a tourist visa and apply for
residency:

- is current tourist visa still 60 days, renewable for 60 extra days?
if one overstay and pay the exit fee, are there serious consequences like not been able to re entry?

- to apply for permanent residency one need to do it from own country at the consulate?

pls advice, its very important

thank you all ;-))

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do a search of DR1 and you will find out that no one knows the new Immigration Policy, or even if there is one. Just come down and don't worry. No one will throw you out of the country or deport you.

If you want to apply for Residency you do need to go your local DR Embassy to start with.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
A friend of mine went to immigration headquarters today and renewed his tourist card overstay time for another 3 months, he is doing this without leaving the country for the last two years!!! His advantage is that he doesn't speak English and can't read this board...

giga

Feb 11, 2012
thank you mio,

i thought a 60 days tourist visa can be extendend only for 60 days: where is your friend from?

A friend of mine went to immigration headquarters today and renewed his tourist card overstay time for another 3 months, he is doing this without leaving the country for the last two years!!! His advantage is that he doesn't speak English and can't read this board...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I called the DR Consulate in Boston when I was there in July.
They had no idea what I was talking about,in terms of the new residency/visa policy.
Figures!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

giga

Feb 11, 2012
thank you Criss

do you also ask re the tourist visa 60 days extension? what happens if one overstay: will it joepardize
future resident visa application?

I called the DR Consulate in Boston when I was there in July.
They had no idea what I was talking about,in terms of the new residency/visa policy.
Figures!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
be aware that if you pay your overstay at the border/airport to save the paperwork
else immigration does not accept that you payed already .. even with stamps in your passport, they will charge and fine you as much as possible
so i told them to sit on my middle finger and grow a beard

i wait till the situation changes before i try again
oh and this .. if during the process you get a new passport from your government save the old one .. alse they will ask you to find it and/or get extremely insecure-nerveaus and irritated

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
be aware that if you pay your overstay at the border/airport to save the paperwork
else immigration does not accept that you payed already .. even with stamps in your passport, they will charge and fine you as much as possible

oh and this .. if during the process you get a new passport from your government save the old one .. alse they will ask you to find it and/or get extremely insecure-nerveaus and irritated

It appears that everyone in the government is either aware of the new regulations, totally unaware of the new regulations, or just making up new regulations as they go along. When dealing with DR government officials about this, your results may vary.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Oh come on, the only change in the entire country on regulations and requirements are the odd lawyers website, none of the embassies have changed ( if they have do tell, and if they have are the previous requirements out dated?) people are still doing as they did before, people are paying exit tax, renewing tourist cards, the residency process has gone back to being able to apply from within the country (I say back, it didn't even change in the first place). Everyone is reporting no changes from their homeland and so I think we can safely say, ultimately, nothing has changed. Some have done well out of the scare mongering, and some have actually made that move to do what they maybe should have done years ago, and some have ended up scratching around to finance the whole process for no real reason.
I think we can confidently say that those who crossed the road, did so which is great, but they could have carried on down the wild side, coz it isn't any different to 3 months ago when this began.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I think the word FINE is just a bad translation. In this case use the word TAX.
If you pay a TAX does anything untoward usually happen?

I have stayed over a year on at least two occasions.
When I exited, I went directed to the TAX desk and paid up, the agent took the form without a word.

IT IS THE MONEY THAT MATTERS.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

Got that request also but since our government does not allow us anymore to hold on to the old one - at least not when applied for a new one abroad - we had to come up with other evidence for how long we were in the country.
Luckly I had all the papers of our first flights to the DR still, so I send a copy of those to our lawyer.