resident visa

J

jim

spent $400 plus and waited 5months for a provisional resident visa applied for in the us at the dr consulate with us medical, police report, bank statement then i got a tourist visa marked for temporary resident. when i went to santo domingo immigration they tried to shift me to a lawyer and said the visa issued in the us was useless. any comments? also, any reccommendations for a cheap lawyer as the paper work isn"t worth more than $300.

A

Anny Mosity

Whoops!

They want you to use a lawyer because then much of the US$1,500 plus that you pay him/her will come back to them in bribes. It is harder to bribe them directly because they don't know you.
Just consider it a tip (To Insure Promptness). Better to get uused to it. It is the only way to get things done in latin countries.

G

Grahame Bush

Jim,
IF your visa is as you state a "temporary" one, then it should not cost too much to changre it into a "PROVISIONAL" one. To get a reasonable lawyer, it would be best for you to be down here & choose him/her yourself (With some help if you prefer), because you can then show what papers you have & negotiate a price directly with the lawyer you choose.
What area are you thinking of going to? North Coast I can help with introductions - South Coast I can't. Drop me an e-mail if you feel I might be able to help further. - Grahame.