Holidays and anniversary 911

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Can't wait to move to DR,its very stressful been here in the US as my job was directly affected by the events at the towers. On this date every year plus the holidays.I told my wife to have the kids stay home today,and as much as my kids like riding the train,I don't feel to safe doing that.I know it's not a matter of how but when they will attack the US or any other first world power.I know life it's not perfect in the DR,but with commom sense a lot of the the bad things there can't be avoided(which most of them are covered on "how to saty safe thread".You guys down there are so fortunate.Tired of the "orange threat level,red"etc.They just drill it into your head,every year,every holiday.I can deal with power outages instead:) enjoy your day,sorry,just had to vent.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Then they have won. Those animals want us to live in fear.....NEVER....GO OUT WITH YOUR FAMILY SHOW THEM THAT WE ARE NOT AFFRAID.AMERICA THE STRONG AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Then they have won. Those animals want us to live in fear.....NEVER....GO OUT WITH YOUR FAMILY SHOW THEM THAT WE ARE NOT AFFRAID.AMERICA THE STRONG AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL

I agree with Barker........CANNOT be living in fear and keeping children home from school?? You are only instilling fear into your children and I know that you don`t want to do that. Yes, maybe one day another attack somewhere. But I feel that you have to be living in the `NOW` and not stressed out and looking over your shoulder. Life, my friend is way way to short. Enjoy each and every day.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I lived in DC within view of the Pentagon on 9/11. I'm well aware of the effects of terrorism. I remember driving past the rocket launchers stationed next to the bridges into the city. It was chilling. But we have to keep perspective. Terrorism in the US is extremely rare.

If your really that afraid of what may happen if you step outside your door you should be much more fearful of a car accident, getting struck by lightning, or tripping down the stairs. Odds are much greater you will die as a result of that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think everyone deals differently with 9/11, depending on how closely it affected their lives. Many New Yorkers were very traumatized.

My cousin Joe was a member of Ladder 7 in downtown Manhattan, someone asked him to switch days off, so he was home that day. One of the towers came down on his ladder company. Eleven years later, and he still has not been able to go to the WTC site, it's too emotional for him. Today one of our other cousins posted these photos, one of the Ladder 7 truck, and one of a custom painted helmet on display at the WTC site.

photo.jpegphoto-1.jpeg

Yesterday the government added a host of cancers to the treatable diseases being covered for the first responders and clean up crew. My cousin Matt was an EMT in the Bronx, he spent many weeks at the WTC beginning on 9/12/01, today he's a cop in the Bronx, and thankfully has no resulting health issues - yet.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I lost an uncle and a cousin in the towers, but I will never let that taint their memory by living in fear. My uncle and cousin would say "Never give up or give in to fear"

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
we recently had two stories about dominicans who had gone to USA to work and sending money home to DR. One was gunned down and killed after just ten months in the states, and the other killed in a robbery also late at night.

I think that 'terrorism' is way down on your list of things to worry about.

dave