Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are kids in Private Schools in DR always so loud?!

I just started teaching 7th grade in Santo Domingo. For the most part I really like it, but at times I get so frustrated with how hard it is to keep class quiet. For awhile they will get quiet and then start back up again. It's as if it is impossible for them to not talk. Is this a common phenomena with 7th graders in general or is it more of a DR private school thing.

Overall though I like the kids. They aren't mean spirited. It's just there loudness makes it hard to focus and teach a lesson.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a DR thing period!!! private, public or street!

3. Likes Ringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJS73 View Post
    I just started teaching 7th grade in Santo Domingo. For the most part I really like it, but at times I get so frustrated with how hard it is to keep class quiet. For awhile they will get quiet and then start back up again. It's as if it is impossible for them to not talk. Is this a common phenomena with 7th graders in general or is it more of a DR private school thing.

Overall though I like the kids. They aren't mean spirited. It's just there loudness makes it hard to focus and teach a lesson.
    No, it is a DOMINICAN thing in general, lol

5. Likes Ringo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

just go back in your memory to the happy times when you were at school
    kids in packs are always loud like a bunch of little monkeys teaching ain't a job for a faint-hearted.

7. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I think I just need to accept it and learn to work with it. They do get quiet when I give tests. I threaten to take away points if they talk.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is part and parcel of teaching and the teachers ability to control the class. I would think it might take a while to get to know what works with them, but it must be super difficult in DR. Asking a Dominican to quieten down is like asking the rest of us to stop breathing.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If they were not disciplined to stay quite through Grades 1 to 6 is will be hard to get them to be quite in Grade seven, however they are at the age where you can reason with them. My wife has no problem, just a look from her stops them.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed that the looking at them sternly in silence is one of the things I've tried that works. When I yell it seems to just excite them, as I've become louder than them.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What discipline are you allowed to deal out? I'm not suggesting you start knee capping your kids, just interested if you have a disciplinary guidebook when teaching in DR, a line you are told not to cross?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Low Voice

Quote Originally Posted by KJS73 View Post
    I have noticed that the looking at them sternly in silence is one of the things I've tried that works. When I yell it seems to just excite them, as I've become louder than them.
    Don't ever yell.
    You'll lose, they can always be louder than you.

What I used to do is lower my voice but kept on teaching.
    There were always some who'd tell others to shut up then, not me.

It did work in civilization....

Well, many years ago.

donP

14. Likes KJS73, Bronxboy, Auryn liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast