I'm confused and don't know who to trust

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
I am living in the DR. My wife and I want to move to Canada and so are starting the paper work for Canada.
I have all her papers (Passport, birth certificate, marriage license) but the part I am confused on is the medical exam. On the Canadian immigration website I have gotten conflicting info. I have read on one part that you must submit the medical exam (from a certified doctor in santo domingo) when you submit the application. But on the same site I have read that they call you and advise you when to go. Also I have known two people to move to Canada recently, one did the exam and submitted with the other documents, and the other says he did a medical exam in puerto plata ( not listed as a certifed doctor), then he was called and advised when to go to another exam. He says the process took only 6 months. So I am trying to be frugal, should I have my wife do the exam in Santo Domingo, or Puerto Plata, or not at all, and just wait and hope they call and say "g go here at this time to do the medical exam"? I just want it to be done with the least hasstle and more imortantly with the least expense involved. Thanks in advance to anyone who can set me in the correct direction

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When faced w/ this type of problem, I usually contact my MP in Canada.
I have found them to be very helpful.... try that.

Elected officials..... good for what??

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
i am living in the dr. My wife and i want to move to canada and so are starting the paper work for canada.
I have all her papers (passport, birth certificate, marriage license) but the part i am confused on is the medical exam. On the canadian immigration website i have gotten conflicting info. I have read on one part that you must submit the medical exam (from a certified doctor in santo domingo) when you submit the application. But on the same site i have read that they call you and advise you when to go. Also i have known two people to move to canada recently, one did the exam and submitted with the other documents, and the other says he did a medical exam in puerto plata ( not listed as a certifed doctor), then he was called and advised when to go to another exam. He says the process took only 6 months. So i am trying to be frugal, should i have my wife do the exam in santo domingo, or puerto plata, or not at all, and just wait and hope they call and say "g go here at this time to do the medical exam"? I just want it to be done with the least hasstle and more imortantly with the least expense involved. Thanks in advance to anyone who can set me in the correct direction

no one.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
This is the certified Doctor for Canadian Immigration. Panel Physician
Do not waste your time going to Puerto Plata as Immigration will probably dismiss it.
Also read through the Immigration Website and follow all directions and submit required documentation.
This link will give you all the forms that must be filled out: Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class
You will be sponsoring her under the Family Class.
If you join a Facebook Group called Dominican Spouses you can ask questions from people that are doing the process or have completed Immigration.
Hope this helps.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
After the medical is complete she will get a receipt, this is what is included with the application. You don't need to make an appointment, just go and have it done. Cost is $180 US.
The Medical results will be forwarded and matched to your application once it is received in Santo Domingo.
It seems a bit complicated but you can do all the paperwork yourself.
Please join the Facebook Group there is a lot of information there.

Last edited:

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks for everyones help. I am going to send them in the next 2 weeks and get this done.
It seems like such a difficult process, but hopefully once they come to Canada, its worth all the
hassle.

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
So I just wanted to give an update. I submitted my wifes application. It was received on Dec 6 and amazingly I was approved as a sponsor on Dec 12 (I don't check my email very often). Just found the email today, boy was I shocked, only 6 days, thats incredible, I thought it would have been longer because of the holidays............Fingers crossed the rest goes as smoothly :)