What is listamilk?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
It's literally the best milk I've had in the entire world.. I've heard it's just reconstituted powdered milk but seeing the Grupo Rica website they make it seem like real milk.. does anyone know what it really is? Anywhere else I've had milk it always seems to have a watered down taste compared to listamilk.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cannot help you there, i totally hate milk and rica ain't any worse than what i spat out back home ;)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A former procurement manager of Rica ones told me she used to buy the powder from Holland and Denmark. I don't like Listamilk but actually I dont like any milk that you can keep several weeks.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I don?t know how Listamilk is formulated but I am a big milk drinker and have to say that Listamilk is the best tasting of all the cartoned milk here. The so called fresh milk here always tastes slightly sour to me.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I agree.My family buys listamilk because they say it's the best tasting milk in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I concur heartily on this. I bought it once by mistake and never looked back. It is unbelievable how long it lasts. I have never had a sour one.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
As a lover of milk (used to drink almost a gallon of whole milk a day) the D.R. has been a PITA. The best and "most like the U.S." milk is the fresh milk from Rica (ex:. Rica Leche Entera 32 Oz. ). That is if you can actually find it "fresh". Dominicans have problems keeping cold things cold unless its beer.

I actually went to the Rica factory (on Kennedy) and bought the milk directly from them. Amazingly, out of 10 times that I went there to buy the milk, 2 or 3 of those times, the milk was already going bad. Very hit and miss with anything so sensitive to heat like milk. Finally gave up trying to find fresh milk and started tasting all the UHT (leche rica listamilk) milk brands we find in the D.R. trying to find something that is at least drinkable.

Listamilk is a milk that has gone through a UHT process so that it does not need refrigeration. IMHO, I hate the way UHT milk tastes compared to fresh whole milk but since fresh milk is so hard to find I had to get used to it.

Listamilk is UHT prepped whole milk.
La Vaquita is UHT prepped 2% milk.

As far as I know, Rica is actual milk and not powdered milk. You never know in this country though...

They're both from Rica and about as good as milk gets in this country. Some people like the Parmalat brand but that crap tastes like dirty water to me.

I have a friend who tried to get into the "milk business" years ago. Bought millions in pesos in milk cows, millions in a modern factory to get the milk and sell it to Rica, and has yet to this day to turn a profit. Just dont think Dominicans care too much about milk..... not like in the U.S. where you open up the fridge and pound a gallon of red topped heaven. :p

Damn I want some fresh whole milk now... Capn Crunch deserves it! lol

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
The reason why there is hardly any fresh whole milk sold is because of the problem
with the power outages.If Dominicans were to buy it,it woudn't last long in fridge.
With the majority not having generators or inversors.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
On Monday people were getting any container they could because they wre giving Milk away in Jarabacoa in our neighbourhood because th truck didn't show to take it to the dairy. It was real milk , cream and all.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
As a lover of milk (used to drink almost a gallon of whole milk a day) the D.R. has been a PITA. The best and "most like the U.S." milk is the fresh milk from Rica (ex:. Rica Leche Entera 32 Oz. ). That is if you can actually find it "fresh". Dominicans have problems keeping cold things cold unless its beer.

I actually went to the Rica factory (on Kennedy) and bought the milk directly from them. Amazingly, out of 10 times that I went there to buy the milk, 2 or 3 of those times, the milk was already going bad. Very hit and miss with anything so sensitive to heat like milk. Finally gave up trying to find fresh milk and started tasting all the UHT (leche rica listamilk) milk brands we find in the D.R. trying to find something that is at least drinkable.

Listamilk is a milk that has gone through a UHT process so that it does not need refrigeration. IMHO, I hate the way UHT milk tastes compared to fresh whole milk but since fresh milk is so hard to find I had to get used to it.

Listamilk is UHT prepped whole milk.
La Vaquita is UHT prepped 2% milk.

As far as I know, Rica is actual milk and not powdered milk. You never know in this country though...

They're both from Rica and about as good as milk gets in this country. Some people like the Parmalat brand but that crap tastes like dirty water to me.

I have a friend who tried to get into the "milk business" years ago. Bought millions in pesos in milk cows, millions in a modern factory to get the milk and sell it to Rica, and has yet to this day to turn a profit. Just dont think Dominicans care too much about milk..... not like in the U.S. where you open up the fridge and pound a gallon of red topped heaven. :p

Damn I want some fresh whole milk now... Capn Crunch deserves it! lol

Very nice post thanks for the insight on the different types of milk available.. I think milk is somewhat of an acquired taste I guess.. I feel exactly the opposite about U.S. milk and listamilk as you do.. Listamilk is the blue boxed heaven and the U.S. milk tastes like dirty water to me.. weird..

I think the explanation for this, is that I traveled to the DR twice a year throughout my entire childhood and can remember from a very young age loving listamilk.. la cajita azul..

One thing I will say.. is if you open a listamilk and leave it in the fridge for like 3-4 days it starts to clunk up and go bad.. never seen milk go bad so quickly.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
When milk goes thru the process of homogenize and pasteurize it loses alot of the natural
flavor of fresh milk.A certain percent of fats is removed,which if left gives milk a rich taste.

I remember as a child drinking fresh milk from a cow on my grandparents farm in DR,where
the milk was boiled for a certain period of time,and it was so good,so rich.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
whole powdered milk

Anyone ever tried the whole powdered milk,- imported from Holland or Denmark? We loveeeee it!

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Anyone ever tried the whole powdered milk,- imported from Holland or Denmark? We loveeeee it!

No.But I buy one called Nido which is also whole powdered milk and it is also very good.It's the only one
I buy in DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
FYI you can still buy fresh milk in DR. every morning there are old pickup trucks running through dominican barrios, carrying big blue barrels in the back. they have fresh farm milk. so fresh and so farm, in fact, you have to boil it before drinking.
i buy it for making cheese.

at home we only use listamilk, for baking, since no one drinks it. we also buy butter from rica, it has the shortest ingredients list from all dominican butters :)

i looked at rica's site, tour de citricos id done by an orange, right? presence of a c**k (rooster, whatever) is kinda... strange :)

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
also, rica has great cranberry juice, much better than ocean spray. but unfortunately i have not seen it on sale for months :(

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
also, rica has great cranberry juice, much better than ocean spray. but unfortunately i have not seen it on sale for months :(
Read the side label, above the nutritional facts. If im not mistaken it's 5% cranberry juice. Wonder what the other 95% is....

Dec 26, 2011
Read the side label, above the nutritional facts. If im not mistaken it's 5% cranberry juice. Wonder what the other 95% is....

Sugar water. But it's not bad.

On this topic, how many Dominicans know the real Spanish word for cranberry? I don't think I've met even one.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
eeeeiiiiillllllllll I remember when I was craving milk like crazy & kept asking my bf for it. Lol. He went to the colmado & brought me back a carton, I drank a sip & almost spit it out. It was so grosss, taste like breast milk... Yuck .... What I was craving was a nice cold glass of milk, this one was not even kept cold.

It maybe healthier for you, but I'm not used to the unpasteurized organic **** that comes straight from the cow.

Last edited: