DIY Maintenance on cars...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Since I am in process of purchasing a suv within this week I was wondering if anybody do Do-It-Yourself fix or maintenance on their cars here?

I used to like working on my cars when cool out side like in early spring or fall. It got me started since Mercedes dealers and mechanics charges ridiculous added charges since it's Mercedes. Although parts were still very expensive I saved a lot of money by fixing everything myself and this including all the oil/fluid changes. Strangely my wife didn't bother me when I worked on a car so it was other big reason I worked on cars. On typical cool Saturday nothing to do afternoon, I used to align all the tools and parts or fluids and start doing all the maintenance or fixes. Every DIYer know this. You get very satisfied feelings after spending few hours fixing/fluid change and cursing to see everything to be working properly or see the car is working better then before. And there's no better feeling in the world chugging down freezer kept beer afterward.

So is there any DIYer here in DR?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I sometimes work on my cars, for the same reason as you do (ridiculous dealer charges). But to be honest, I don't do it very often anymore. The main reason being that if you find a good, honest mechanic you'll find they charge very little for a day work, compared to what you may be used to. I took my car to the dealer for a brake pads change and they were charging me over 10,000 pesos just for labor. I took it to my mechanic and he did the job for 700 pesos labor. As I said, I love working on cars, but I won't change front and rear brake pads myself to save 700 pesos. It's pretty much the same with oil, they charge you something like 200 pesos labor for an oil change at Quicklube and shops of the like.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I too find myself doing remarkably little work myself because it is just not worth doing it once you find the right mechanics.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is just too hot to have your head stuck under wheel arches and rolling around on the floor chasing lines. My buddy has a body shop in SD and I used to use his place to repair body work, but unless in the right environment it just gets too hot.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While it might be soul soothing, it is hot, sweaty, tiring, dirty and messy. And for a few hundred pesos you can have it done while you enjoy a few cold ones in come relative comfort.

Big trick is to find a guy that will do the work right the FIRST time. One who uses the proper sized wrench on the oil plug for instance. However, I take my VW to MAU on Bartolom? Col?n for oil and filter changes. Less than 2000 all told (oil and fuel filter, oil). Why should I go and try to do it. (And I worked in gas stations for years and can change oil and fluids with the best of them.) They are a NAPA dealer so they have most of the OEM filters.

Cordially,

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Unless you have some serious digital diagnostic equipment and are a superior spark chaser, the DIY days are coming to a close.

Besides, the cost of labor here is so cheap there is no compelling reason, beyond hobbying, to "do it yourself."

I learned mechanics as a kid because I couldn't afford a mechanic. Yes, there were some costly mistakes I call "tuition."

I do most of our general V-Strom maintenance, even completely changed 22 tires last year. But if the fuel injection system goes nutzo, to the dealer it goes. I'm not gonna buy the diagnostic equipment for $2000 from Suzuki. Heck, we had a crash (employee) early on (HB remembers the bike arriving when he picked Missy up) that bent the forks 15 degrees and smashed a lot of tupperwear. The parts weren't cheap but the total labor was under US$250. Amazing.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I guess you guys are right. Me sweating like I am sitting sauna changed my mind, it's too damn hot to be bothered with them. And I guess times have changed as we have active two years old and I doubt Mrs. would leave me alone anyway. With last bill I saw from the Hyundai dealer made me think the good mechanics would cost as much as in US but I guess the independent places are cheap. Hopefully I wouldn't have to worry about this but looking at that bill I just had to ask...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Example:
I had a small dent on the rear tailgate of my XL7.... right on the AWD sign.

My shop repaired it and buffed the whole car to remove those swirls that black cars get.
9000 pesos. The car looks new.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Example:
I had a small dent on the rear tailgate of my XL7.... right on the AWD sign.

My shop repaired it and buffed the whole car to remove those swirls that black cars get.
9000 pesos. The car looks new.
I had every nick, dung, paint chip and scratch filled/removed/primed/sanded/painted/sealed/clearcoated on our Montero Sport for RD$6000 in Santiago.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not only cheap... the work is superb.

Remember when DR1 Robert was selling his car? The detailing job they did for him??
They removed the seats to clean everything.

I'm having that done to my Jeep now that we're a 'two car family'.... one for in-town and one hiway vehicle.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my advice is: always spend less time under your car and more time on the top of your wife. you will not regret it.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
my advice is: always spend less time under your car and more time on the top of your wife. you will not regret it.

Or if in a fight with the wifey he could cheat on her with a VESTIDA DE NOVIA.