ATM Debit Cards

A

Alexander

I will be visiting the Dominican Republic next week and I am interested in knowing whether I can use my Wells Fargo ATM debit card at a Banco Popular or other banks located in Santo Domingo?
Thanks

Alexander

M

Marilyn

ATM Debit Cards - A Word of Caution!!!

Just a word of caution with your ATM debit card. A friend of mine used his ATM card from Bank of New York (with the Master Card logo) at a Banco Popular ATM machine, and the ATM had been "fixed" with some kind of glue which makes the card stick and you can't get it back. There was a sign that said to wait 24 hour before reporting the card to your bank. My stupid friend waited 24 hours before reporting it and by then more than US$2,000 was charged to his account by using it at different gas stations. We figure they did it in conjunction with the gas station attendants by taking cash money from customers and charging the purchase to the card. If your card is taken (swallowed) by an ATM machine, call your bank IMMEDIATELY and cancel it. I suggest you use ATM machines that have guards (we call them Wachiman, meaning Watch Man) or that are inside a branch. In my case, I have used my ATM debit card in many places and never had a problem.

D

DR1

Always be careful...

scams exist in every country. I use a Citibank ATM card here and have never had a problem.
If I was ever looking to pull off a scam, I would only employ Dominicans. They cover all the angles and are very inventive. By the way, that was a subtle compliment!

Rob.

H

hlywud

Re: ATM Debit Cards - A Word of Caution!!!

Marilyn:
How would anyone know the pin# on a card that got stuck in an ATM machine, it would not allow withdrawals without the pin#.
I agree if the card doesnt come back call the bank and cancel.

P

Pib

No need to...

This is how the scam works:

1. You introduce your debit/credit card in the automatic teller.
2. You enter your pin and proceed with your transaction.
3. When you want to withdraw your card it gets stuck within (by means of double sided tape or some sticky gum).
4. The robbers are nearby (no sense in living your card overnight) and they had (sometimes) placed the sign saying you should report your card the next day or in 24 hours.
5. You leave your card inside the teller (if you were so gullible) like an open book for thieves as you never got the chance to log off.
6. The thieves take money from your account till they get to the limit allowed per day.
7. Then they withdraw you card and go shopping with it. For payment with credit or debit cards there is no need for pins, just signature and most times the signatures are not even checked to see if they are a close match.

Best remedy?
* Withdraw money in the tellers placed in the banks; the thieves are less likely to mess up with the teller in front of the bank's camera.
* Should you card get stuck, use the telephone that most banks have next to the teller or get a telephone fast and immediately notify your bank.

Now, another word of advice: Carry another card, I have found cards unreliable as a few times mine did get caught inside the machine. Some times I was sure it wasn't a scam, just a problem with the bank. I once couldn't withdraw any money because due to a problem with my bank it emptied my account and it took 23 days to clear the mess. So, always have a Plan B, you know, "money is like toilet paper, when you need it you need it NOW".

M

Marilyn

Re: ATM Debit Cards - A Word of Caution!!!

An ATM debit card means that it can double as a credit card, withdrawing the funds out of your checking account, but you can use it wherever they have the master card logo, you don't need a PIN just a signature, that's the one you have to be careful with, a regular ATM card is not so much at risk since they would need a PIN to access the account and unless you're like my mother, who wrote her PIN on the cover of her ATM card, you won't have a problem.

M

Marilyn

DR1: Your subtle compliment...

Como dice el refran: "los Dominicanos se la saben todas"!!!

H

hlywud

Not mine

I have three cards, Visa Debit, MasterCard Debit and Am Express Debit, all three require a pin # for any ATM and require to be swiped and pin # access for purchases, they are not credit cards but auto debit cards from the attached account.
Yes a normal visa, mastercard only require a signature, and yes you can get cash advances on them but it is risky if card is lost or swallowed up by a scammers machine, as you indicated.
Best spend the extra bucks and get a proper card type.
My wife works for the Royal Bank of Canada and she arranges all this stuff.

A

Alexander

ATM Debit Card

Thanks evryone for all the good information.