Foreigners robbed on Puerto Plata/Navarette Road

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It was reported on the radio this morning that some English 'tourists' as they call them were held up and robbed of US$60,000 on the Puerto Plata/Navarette road at Altamira.

In the press it now says that they were two Americans, and Israeli and a Dominican and they were robbed of 2 cellphones, RD$400, an unspecified amount of US dollars and other belongings. The perpetrators were supposed policemen.

Dos supuestos polic?as asaltan a cuatro turistas en Puerto Plata ~ .....::::Nagua Digital Tv::::.....Noticias Y Mas

No doubt the story will change as more places publish it!

Matilda

May 12, 2005
It was reported on the radio this morning that some English 'tourists' as they call them were held up and robbed of US$60,000 on the Puerto Plata/Navarette road at Altamira.

In the press it now says that they were two Americans, and Israeli and a Dominican and they were robbed of 2 cellphones, RD$400, an unspecified amount of US dollars and other belongings. The perpetrators were supposed policemen.

Dos supuestos polic?as asaltan a cuatro turistas en Puerto Plata ~ .....::::Nagua Digital Tv::::.....Noticias Y Mas

Matilda

If they were carrying 60K US in cash as initially reported then it was not done at random. Someone knew they were traveling with the cash and was waiting for them.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Make you wonder who tells anyone they are carrying or will be carrying $60,000, you just don't let that kind of thing be known do you, amazing.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Make you wonder who tells anyone they are carrying or will be carrying $60,000, you just don't let that kind of thing be known do you, amazing.

Could have been they were purchasing an apartment/land and were supposed to meet up with the sellers. Somewhere along those lines it got to the wrong ears.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Could have been they were purchasing an apartment/land and were supposed to meet up with the sellers. Somewhere along those lines it got to the wrong ears.

It was either a real estate or narco purchase!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
On the plane they give everyone a form to fill out and it does ask the amount
of cash you are bringing and also the address where you will be staying.So
who knows??

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Matilda

I/WE know that this is not much to go on or how much, if any, is true.

But I would be interested in the facts. So far just a lot of questions.

This IS the main road and lots of traffic. Where "they" stopping everyone? What time of day/night was this?

U.S. $60K but only $400 Pesos?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i am unemployed at the moment, it seems like a good idea to purchase second hand khaki uniform and a gun and then stand somewhere along the highway stopping cars.
and i also take pesos, euros and british pounds.
PM me if you are in. successful applicants need to have own AK.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I/WE know that this is not much to go on or how much, if any, is true.

The basics must be true as it was reported on the major morning news programme.

But I would be interested in the facts. So far just a lot of questions.

This IS the main road and lots of traffic. Where "they" stopping everyone? What time of day/night was this?

When reported at 10am they said it had just happened. The news report says "los turistas fueron asaltados luego de hacer una parada". In other words the 'tourists' were assaulted after having made a stop. It doesn't say they were stopped or made to stop.

U.S. $60K but only $400 Pesos?

One assumes there were on their way to POP, as that is where they went to the police having been firstly to the small station in Altamira, so maybe they had landed at Santiago in which case would have more dollars than pesos?

Matilda

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
That did it,count me in!

Well that would be interesting news.

Santo Domingo, Ocubre 12. Una banda de gringos conocida como los DR1 fue atrapada robando a otros gringos en carreteras. Segun declaraciones, un grupo comando de la policia los venian siguiendo hace algunas semanas, pero algunos de los policias intentaron seducir a los miembros de la banda para obtener visas, y otros se unieron a la banda, por lo cual habia que empezar desde cero cada semana. Se conocio que ninguno de los gringos de la banda tenia pajase de retorno a sus paises de origen, pero todos tenian seguro de vida. Seguiremos informando.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Well that would be interesting news.

Santo Domingo, Ocubre 12. Una banda de gringos conocida como los DR1 fue atrapada robando a otros gringos en carreteras. Segun declaraciones, un grupo comando de la policia los venian siguiendo hace algunas semanas, pero algunos de los policias intentaron seducir a los miembros de la banda para obtener visas, y otros se unieron a la banda, por lo cual habia que empezar desde cero cada semana. Se conocio que ninguno de los gringos de la banda tenia pajase de retorno a sus paises de origen, pero todos tenian seguro de vida. Seguiremos informando.

Too funny!:p

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in this case, let's make it khaki bikini. there is no way a car would not stop.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you think i should go for topless damsel in distress routine? i already have my own two bazookas, i will save on ammunition....