Dominican Professional Golfers

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Thought some would be interested in following 3 Dominican Professional Golfers that have qualified for the new 2012 PGA TOUR Latinoam?rica . One of the eleven scheduled events will actually be played at Cana Bay GC, Nov 5-11, 2012 Punta Cana, DR( DR Open)

Julio SANTOS?.Head Professional at Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata
Santos joins PGA TOUR Latinoam?rica as one of two players fully exempt through the Golf Federation of the Dominican Republic. With plenty of experience competing on the US mini-tours, Santos earned an exemption to play the 2010 Puerto Rico Open and became the only Dominican player ever to compete on a PGA TOUR event.

Willy PUMAROL?.Pumarol?s second place finish in the 2011 Abierto de la Rep?blica Argentina placed him in 28th on the Tour de las Am?ricas? Order of Merit, earning him his PGA TOUR Latinoam?rica card.
As a member of the Barry University golf team he won ten tournaments in the Sunshine State Conference competing in the NCAA?s Division II. Represented the Dominican Republic in the 2010 World Amateur Team Championship in Argentina.

JC Perell?A pro since November of 2010, Perell? joined PGA TOUR Latinoam?rica as one of two players exempt through the Golf Federation of the Dominican Republic. A native of Santiago de los Caballeros, he claimed the Dominican Republic Amateur Championship twice.

:: PGA TOUR Latinoamrica

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know them all. Julio is a little old,but a stalwart golfer
Willy Jr, is the son of an old friend who I have played with for years. Willy Sr. was the first to go to a pro-golf school and learn to become a pro golf teacher..not the PGA but a pro. His son was a Jr golfer while mine was winning here.

Juan Carlos was one of my students at the university, the son of a real close friend, and a true gentleman. He will be a good golfer and was one of my son's "projects" when he was little.

These latter two are the II Generation of golfers in the DR. Their fathers learned the game as old men and were never all that good. These kids learned the game as babies and can PLAY the game. Because of their social and economic positions, they were afforded the best of opportunities and training.

I would really like to see then do well. JC is a close friend of my daughter also...let's say we all know each other.

I was happy to see the results in Mexico...

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Perhaps not on the PGA... but... don't forget Manuel de los Santos

[video=youtube;aw-nt0eTb2w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw-nt0eTb2w[/video]

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
The Dominican Republic Open is the Tour's first event on the Caribbean. It begins on Thursday, Nov.8th 2012 at Cana Bay GC, a course by Nicklaus Design. – The Dominican Republic Open, founded just two years ago, was established with the purpose of not only promoting the island as a golf tourism destination but also to help grow the game at the professional level. The event took an additional step to help promote the game by becoming the seventh event on PGA TOUR Latinoamerica's inaugural schedule.

Scheduled to start on Thursday at Cana Bay Golf Course in Punta Cana, the Dominican Republic Open will be contested near the shores of the Caribbean Sea, on a Jack Nicklaus designed course that combines the island's natural beauty with the architectural vision of the 18-time Major champion.

Golf is a sport on the rise in the Dominican Republic and having its National Open be a part of PGA TOUR Latinoamerica is an important step for the Dominican Golf Federation (FedoGolf). "This is a reputation cementing event, with all the elements necessary to help us promote the game of golf and it should be a commitment not only by us, the Dominican Republic Golf Federation but all involved, to showcase all the great golf courses our island has to offer" said Juan Cohen, President of Fedogolf.

Jack Warfield, President of PGA TOUR Latinoamerica said "it is an honor to have the Dominican Republic as part of the inaugural season of the Tour, as Fedogolf was one of the first federations to contact us since the concept of the PGA TOUR Latinoam?rica was made ​​public and we are honored to have them on our schedule. We understood that it was important to develop a strong event in the Caribbean to complement the Puerto Rico Classic to be played in the neighboring island the following week."

The Dominican Republic has three members represented on the Tour hoping to play well in their National Open. The players include, veteran Julio Santos whose best finish on Tour so far is a T15 in Monterrey and the up and coming Willy Pumarol and JC Perello who are taking the first steps of their career.

You can follow the results this week on the PGA Tour's website

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Dominican Republic Open Leaderboard 4PM

I went out and watched this morning. Pumarol (DR) is currently 3 strokes behind the leader tied for 5th. He shot a 2 Under 70.

There are actually a lot of Dominicans in it, as the tournament did not fill and virtually anyone could have got in.

One guy shot a 97.

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
Played in the ProAm yesterday with the current leader. He is good player. Today we started the amatuer DR open at Iberstate.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Played in the ProAm yesterday with the current leader. He is good player. Today we started the amatuer DR open at Iberstate.

Last count there was 13 Dominican amateurs in the field at Cana Bay G.C. I thought this was the DR Open that is being played this week?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Last count there was 13 Dominican amateurs in the field at Cana Bay G.C. I thought this was the DR Open that is being played this week?

The DR Open is at Cana Bay, Hard Rock Hotel. I was there today, I think I know where I was. LOL

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
The DR Open is at Cana Bay, Hard Rock Hotel. I was there today, I think I know where I was. LOL

I thought so as well SKY. However, my reply was to beekaynz as he said he is playing at Iberstate in the DR Open for amateurs. I was made to believe there was only one event for pros and amateurs(less then 5 h/c) at Cana Bay.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I thought so as well SKY. However, my reply was to beekaynz as he said he is playing at Iberstate in the DR Open for amateurs. I was made to believe there was only one event for pros and amateurs(less then 5 h/c) at Cana Bay.

Steve, Actually they were short players and gave a lot of wild cards to locals with much higher handicaps. Take a look at the leaderboard and you will see what I am talking about. Maybe there is another event at Iberostar. I don't know about that.