10K Claro

Ariel Cruz

Sep 13, 2012
Below is something I copied from DR1 travel news regarding the 10K race sponsored by Claro. I am from NY and I have participated twice but my grandfather who is approaching 102 years of age has participated since the race began.

No longer being able to participate, my uncles and other family members, including myself "will" be participating this year in his name. I place "will" in quotes because its been very difficult to get confirmation that the race will be held on the date listed below. In 2011, it was held on November 20th and its frustrating that this race cannot have a consistent date every year. Linea **** which is a company that handles logistics in sporting events in DR had at one point, October 21st as the date of the race. They have since removed it from their calender of events because it is rumored that the race is being cancelled this year.

Even the link of SantoDomingoCorre which is listed below, still has in their events list as 'Fecha Pendiente' for the race, with no link to register. No one in that Santo Domingo has been able to confirm that it will still be held which is sad that something so simple, I mean this is not the first time its being run. I write through this forum in hopes that someone out there will see this and be able to bring light to this rumor of the race being cancelled.

Telecommunications company Claro is again sponsoring this 10K marathon at the Mirador del Sur Park in Santo Domingo. Sunday, 4 November 2012. Starting from Km 0 of the Mirador del Sur Park, with competitors going for 10 kilometers.

For more information and to register, see Santo Domigo Corre
Sun, 04 November, 2012
<abbr class="dtstart" title="2012-11-04T00:00:00-04:00"> All Day Event</abbr>

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm sure you'll get further confirmation from someone here on DR1.

Meanwhile, welcome aboard and good first post!

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Below is something I copied from DR1 travel news regarding the 10K race sponsored by Claro. I am from NY and I have participated twice but my grandfather who is approaching 102 years of age has participated since the race began.

No longer being able to participate, my uncles and other family members, including myself "will" be participating this year in his name. I place "will" in quotes because its been very difficult to get confirmation that the race will be held on the date listed below. In 2011, it was held on November 20th and its frustrating that this race cannot have a consistent date every year. Linea **** which is a company that handles logistics in sporting events in DR had at one point, October 21st as the date of the race. They have since removed it from their calender of events because it is rumored that the race is being cancelled this year.

Even the link of SantoDomingoCorre which is listed below, still has in their events list as 'Fecha Pendiente' for the race, with no link to register. No one in that Santo Domingo has been able to confirm that it will still be held which is sad that something so simple, I mean this is not the first time its being run. I write through this forum in hopes that someone out there will see this and be able to bring light to this rumor of the race being cancelled.

Telecommunications company Claro is again sponsoring this 10K marathon at the Mirador del Sur Park in Santo Domingo. Sunday, 4 November 2012. Starting from Km 0 of the Mirador del Sur Park, with competitors going for 10 kilometers.

For more information and to register, see Santo Domigo Corre
Sun, 04 November, 2012
<abbr class="dtstart" title="2012-11-04T00:00:00-04:00"> All Day Event</abbr>

Ariel, I would also like to welcome you to DR1! Congratulations to your grandfather and your family as I am sure that you are all very proud of him. What an outstanding example of an athlete.

I live in Santiago and I am involved in the runner/tri-athlete community that exists in surprisingly large numbers here. As far as I am aware, that particular 10k event is not scheduled to occur in November 2012, but is to be held early next year. However, and this is a big however, I am not 100% sure. As you are aware, the event scheduling here can be frustrating. I will ask around with those who are much more "in the know" than I am and will post again if I find any definitive answer.

In the meantime, a good reference for race schedules in the country can be located here:
Noticias y Art?culos sobre Nataci?n, Ciclismo, Atletismo, Triatl?n, Salud | Sport3Magazine.com - Calendario de eventos
(note that this will also include many tri events such as swimming and bicycling as well as running).
This is a new magazine recently created by our own (in that I mean from Santiago) triathlete and all around good guy Santiago Morel. You can see the online version here:
Noticias y Art?culos sobre Nataci?n, Ciclismo, Atletismo, Triatl?n, Salud | Sport3Magazine.com - S3M

There is a nice 30k/42k race this weekend in the capital but I'm sure that it is a little late notice for you. I will try to get more information on that Claro race for you and hopefully you can come down and try some of the other events that happen throughout the year. There is a really nice community of people involved in this sport here and we would love to have you join us.