CHIP... I challange U.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Design a 'SUPER MALL" that serves multi needs. (I'm a designer too, not to ur skills, so I can watch.) One that investors and even money cleaning people will invest in. Keep it clean and simple and cost effective.

My firsts thoughts?
First 2 floors retail.. then
small manufacturing ... then
training and education.... then
people services.... then
dorms (housing) and living.

Would that work? Could that work? Would it be worth it? Not fancy.

This is Ur area Chip. and a few others. Think of NEW and EXCITING things that could change ... a few ways that we think.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Chip is on vacation for a while longer...........

B in Santiago

And I"M NOT.... oh.... for a vacation... time off... the things that I could do...

... and not do them.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC's back I C. DUCK! (love ya CCC)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Design a 'SUPER MALL" that serves multi needs. (I'm a designer too, not to ur skills, so I can watch.) One that investors and even money cleaning people will invest in. Keep it clean and simple and cost effective.

My firsts thoughts?
small manufacturing
... then
people services.... then

This is Ur area Chip. and a few others. Think of NEW and EXCITING things that could change ... a few ways that we think.

First, read the post, then think about it.... then ask whether Ringo has a good design..... then post on me

Your pal Chip, is very civil.... always has been to me

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
kids_drawing_yellow_rf_house.gif
do I win anything

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Design a 'SUPER MALL" that serves multi needs. Would that work? Could that work? .

No, what you're talking about is a small vertical "city". I believe it was tried in the states about 30 years ago but I didn't follow them so I couldn't tell you how it worked out. My guess is it didn't catch on.

And I think it would have even less chance in the DR. It goes against the grain of the dominicans social, community and family needs.

There's tons of examples over the last 100 years of architects pushing a unpracticle building design that they dreamed up.
Just because you "could" build it, doesn't always mean you "should" build it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hate to post this because it might eventually lead to Pichardo's people building something like this in the DR. That would lead to the pictures posted that would then completely fill the hard drives on most of the worlds servers.

It is called the Mall of America and is actually a destination resort for some people.

http://www.mallofamerica.com/attractions

diable410

Sep 14, 2011

My firsts thoughts?
people services.... then

Not a good idea in my opinion. I think strip malls would work best in DR. Who wants to be stuck in a building for everything? This isn't Canada we are talking about.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How are you going to get a big loading dock up to the 3rd+ floor for manufacturing?

Would YOU want to live below a factory?

That's different that living above your bar or bakery.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not a good idea in my opinion. I think strip malls would work best in DR. Who wants to be stuck in a building for everything? This isn't Canada we are talking about.

So you think that the plethora of huge malls being built aren't correct for the DR? The wrath of PICHARDO and his mall builders will rain down upon you like a torrent of hockey pucks from heaven.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Mixed use space works when you have super high end retail and wealthy people above it. It doesnt translate well to free clinics and food banks.
You can have lower retail mid office and upper housing They are uber popular in Wash DC and some southern states. Why anyone would build a faux city when you have an actual city is beyond me.
There is a place just being completed called RidgeHill.com they have an outpatient medical and kind of like a self contained city.
The problem with developing for poor people is that you run out of capital super quick. No money no building.

One place to live work and play I copied that I didnt think of it.

May 12, 2005

My firsts thoughts?
people services.... then

And right next door we can build glorious Soviet tractor factory

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How are you going to get a big loading dock up to the 3rd+ floor for manufacturing?

Would YOU want to live below a factory?

That's different that living above your bar or bakery.

Labor is cheap in RD..... they'll just carry the raw materila up the stairs.

Seriously, I saw this last month..... a chain of 10-11 men passing product by hand .like the old "bucket brigade" out of a truck into a building..... 50ft or more in distance...... 5 ft apart roughly.

They were throwing it to each other..... incredible

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Chip is busy designing a "Mega Church"!
It is supposed to feature a "Woman's Health Center" with an abortion-on-demand drive thru!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I hate to post this because it might eventually lead to Pichardo's people building something like this in the DR.
It is called the Mall of America and is actually a destination resort for some people.

http://www.mallofamerica.com/attractions

The Mall of Dominican - This is exactly what's needed in Sosua. The new Hi-Speed Bullet train could slide right into it, drop off then head back to Santo Domingo. Chinese would come by the millions to buy amber, larimar fake cuban cigars, beach towels, etc.

or maybe not....