Dominican Hospitality/Helpfulness

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have had a little problem this week.

I wired some money to RD - ScotiaBank, Canada to RD
The bank stores that info so all you need to do is refresh the amount and push a button.

Well, being a short a few buttons myself, I missed an important fact.
My last wire was to RD was to the car dealer (not to myself) ..........so ...... they are now the recipient of my money instead of me.:(:angry:

I call my trusty car salesman (Victor Hugo) and explain my dilemma.

Tranquillo, senor he tells me.
He will get a check from his company and trot it down the the street to deposit it in my account.

How's that !!!???:laugh:

I have been laughed at and ridiculed in the past b/c whenever I hear a bad Dominican story, I counter w/ one of my good ones.
The likes of II ( Intestinal Ivan ) - also known as CC - have been known to throw stones - even rocks - my way.

So, all you naysayers...
How about that good , old Dominican helpfulness !! Huh ????:lick:

Mods and Mod's in Training , feel free to move this wherever you want -- Best of RD, maybe.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I hope that works out for you. I would have posted this after the check is in your account.
Good luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its like that comment last week
The easy is hard, the hard is impossible and the impossible is easy....

My Cdn bank was stumped. It was going be very difficult to retrieve that money and would take 6-8 working days to put Humpty Dumpty back together.... like unscrambling an omelette.

One phone call to RD and its fixed.... with a smile.:laugh:
I love it........

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Question to OP

William W.
I happy that all seems to work out. I have a question on Scotia Bank.
You say wire and buttons. Are you able to send money from Scotia Bank Canada to Scotia Bank DR
Electronically by internet without going to your bank in Canada? If so what monies do you transfer
That is to say: Canada dollars to pesos? Or US dollars to US dollars or pesos. And what are the fees
like?

thanks, Xtraveller

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You still need to go into the branch in Canada but your wire transactions are stored for future use.
I have an arrangement whereby I call/e-mail my rep and can do it all by e-mail w/ him.
I don't actually do the keyboard work for the transfer but I don't need to show up.

You can wire in either Cdn or US dollars and it gets automatically converted at the RD end.
My RD Scotia account is only in DRP..... no US$ account.
The rate is usually pretty good.

Talk to your account manager - there is such a person... not the teller or branch manager.... but you may start there.

Let me know if I can help

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Ok Thanks,

From what I understand no advantage from Scotia Bank, Same for all Canadian Banks no internet transfer to DR.
All must be done buy person at Bank......Have simallar arragement call Bank or Family member goes to Bank in Canada.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I have had a little problem this week.

I wired some money to RD - ScotiaBank, Canada to RD
The bank stores that info so all you need to do is refresh the amount and push a button.

Well, being a short a few buttons myself, I missed an important fact.
My last wire was to RD was to the car dealer (not to myself) ..........so ...... they are now the recipient of my money instead of me.:(:angry:

I call my trusty car salesman (Victor Hugo) and explain my dilemma.

Tranquillo, senor he tells me.
He will get a check from his company and trot it down the the street to deposit it in my account.

How's that !!!???:laugh:

I have been laughed at and ridiculed in the past b/c whenever I hear a bad Dominican story, I counter w/ one of my good ones.
The likes of II ( Intestinal Ivan ) - also known as CC - have been known to throw stones - even rocks - my way.

So, all you naysayers...
How about that good , old Dominican helpfulness !! Huh ????:lick:

Mods and Mod's in Training , feel free to move this wherever you want -- Best of RD, maybe.

Who makes this kind of mistake?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Who makes this kind of mistake?

Everybody does... don't you (flipping burgers)

I concur with WWWWW...

Last Sunday we went on a shopping spree to La Sirena, bought ourselves a nice Pizza Hut pizza at Playa Dorada, and around the ISS in Sosua, one of our back tires exploded...

As our jack came up short (literally), we hoped to wing it back to our house, about 500 yards away. We drove about 100 yards at 1 mph... and a local flagged us down. 15 minutes later, and a couple of hundred pesos poorer, we were on our way again....

In Belgium, this would have costed me something like 8,000 rds... and a couple of hours waiting time.

Still wondering why this guy with very short hair had curlers in it though...

BelgianK

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Everybody does... don't you (flipping burgers)

I concur with WWWWW...

Last Sunday we went on a shopping spree to La Sirena, bought ourselves a nice Pizza Hut pizza at Playa Dorada, and around the ISS in Sosua, one of our back tires exploded...

As our jack came up short (literally), we hoped to wing it back to our house, about 500 yards away. We drove about 100 yards at 1 mph... and a local flagged us down. 15 minutes later, and a couple of hundred pesos poorer, we were on our way again....

In Belgium, this would have costed me something like 8,000 rds... and a couple of hours waiting time.

Still wondering why this guy with very short hair had curlers in it though...

BelgianK

Tell me how in the heck is this story similar to WW story? I know the process in wiring money over seas. DO YOU? Even when you purchase an item on Amazon it is couple of steps before your order is final.

I would think when someone is wiring money to their OWN account they would not make the mistake and send it someone elses account.

BTW When I retire from flipping burgers maybe I will leave my homeland, mother, sisters, cousins, friends, aunts, uncles grandparents etc and move to the DR, so I can be just like you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tell me how in the heck is this story similar to WW story? BTW When I retire from flipping burgers maybe I will leave my homeland, mother, sisters, cousins, friends, aunts, uncles grandparents etc and move to the DR, so I can be just like you.

Sort of fits in with the thread title......... sorry can't talk now.......

Got a schoolbus order for fries!

Dec 26, 2011
What's with making fun of what a man does for a living?

Shovel ****, flip burgers, build hoses, fly planes, walk dogs, whatever. Working's better than stealing or looking for handouts.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Can I call him ? Is he married ? LOL
Just kidding, but could you imagine saying " I am dating Victor Hugo" :cool:
Chic indeed