More taxes on your food in paradise

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Now it appears that everyone will soon be paying taxes on LUXURY FOODS......
At this rate, we will soon be paying a "right to breath tax"............
Here's a link plus an English translation..............

Al menos 78 productos ser?an gravados con 8% del ITBIS - Hoy Digital

Today / JUAN Fana.

September 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
At least 78 products would be taxed at 8% of the VAT
RD $ 60.208 MM levied, RD $ 45.732 MM from fees and administrative RD $ 14.476
Written by: Odalis MEJIA (o.mejia @ hoy.com.do)
At least 78 products from vegetables, fruits and cereals are among the consumer goods would be taxed at a rate of 8% of the VAT, under the allegation that are consumed mostly by high income individuals.
This represents a progressive increase in state revenue because they will be consumed by the wealthy, as recorded in the tax reform proposal developed by the Central Bank, the Finance Ministry and the Directorate General of Internal Taxes (DGII) and seeks to raise RD $ 60.208 million.
Of this amount, $ 45.732 RD concept would be obtained by new taxes or increased RD $ 14.476 and other administrative measures.
Products. In the list of suggested items to be taxed ITBIS are: peanut oil, peanut butter, other fats, palm oil, coconut and butter.
Also molasses, powdered sugar, sugar substitutes (substitutes) and liquid sugar.
Among cereals include rice super elite or premium, wheat, rice cereal, fruit, corn on the cob packaging, wheat germ, paddy, wheat semolina.
As fruits are papaya, pineapple, apples, red grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe, sapote, tangerine, pear.
Other products in the list are plantain flour, evaporated milk and reinforced with iron and minerals (infant formula), leaf cheese, cream type, Danish, Dutch, vitamin attachments milks, cheese ball.

Adding more info, may be duplicates of items above

The products they are considering are peanut oil, peanut butter, other edible oils, African palm oil, coconut oil, butter, molasses, icing sugar, sugar substitutes and liquid sugar.

The cereals include premium rice, wheat, rice and fruit cereals, corn flour, wheat germ, brown rice and semolina. The fruits include papaya, pineapple, apples, red grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe melon, sapodilla, mandarin oranges and pears. Other products on the list are plantain flour, evaporated milk, some types of cheese, and milk with added vitamins. Also disinfectants, fabric softeners, religious and self help books, ice creams, cakes, cookies, sliced bread, brown bread, cassava bread, cup cakes and pizza.

The list also includes whole wheat pasta, tagliatelle, lasagna, frozen fish fillets, steak, some types of fresh fish, goat, some types of ham, broccoli, beetroot, peppers, nutmeg, cress, aniseed and chickpeas.

The proposed taxation would penalize consumers of healthy foods.

B in Santiago

Don, Santiagodr brought this info to my attention.........Thank you Don

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Try to raise a healthy baby and they will tax you on it.

.... evaporated milk and reinforced with iron and minerals (infant formula)

Keep the population weak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
By the time the IMF gets through with them. Sh*t is about to roll down hill. I promise you. You will be taxed to take a wiz

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
By the time the IMF gets through with them. Sh*t is about to roll down hill. I promise you. You will be taxed to take a wiz

Damn, I hope not...........
I live in En Sueno and the whole barrio is downhill............
And I live smack dab in the middle............
Better get my $HIT KICKERS on...........lol

B in Santiago

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Both you , waytogo, and the dr1 news sheet mention higher taxes on peanut oil but nobody says what the brand name is nor where it can be bought!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I certainly can understand the logic of taxing ANY product which is IMPORTED

but to tax ANY product which is FRESH fruit or a fresh vegetable which is produced here

well... that is stupid

What I would really like to see, before they RAISE the TAXES

is for them to LOWER the ridiculously high salaries of the government officials. particularly the legislators who only work for about six months a year

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Both you , waytogo, and the dr1 news sheet mention higher taxes on peanut oil but nobody says what the brand name is nor where it can be bought!!!

I personally, lol, have nothing to do with the taxes on these food items.........
I JUST cut and paste what was presented in the news.................
Please don't shoot the messenger...........
Also, why would the news break it down to brand names and sales locations..........
Sorry, but your statement makes absolutly no sense............to me anyways....

B in Santiago

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I can't see the "Logic" in taxing "anything" that is "imported, especially with the "Free Trade Agreement" signed by the DR.
Peanut oil is sold in supermarkets evrywhere in the DR. I only buy "Canola Oil" as it is one of the ways I try to get my family to eat "Better".I also buy skim milk powder, and skim milk in boxes for everyone to drink.
Now, if I could just eliminate, "Fried cheese, salami,potatoes,plantanos, and every other "Fried Food", sugar, and salt, from their diet, I could get somewhere.
As is always the case here, the government, and everyone else, looks for a short term gain, as opposed to a long term benefit!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
seems like an oddly random selection of items to tax. supposedly because they are used by "wealthy" people??? very subjective criteria in my opinion. maybe because the bureaucrat who came up with the list doesn't use/like these items???

Pineapple??? (aren't they grown in the D.R.??? or are all imported?)
Milk of any type???
"super elite" or premium rice??? what makes it "super elite" whatever the EFF that means.
plantain powder??? I don't know what it is or what it's used for, but I do know plantains are a staple.
MOLASSES and POWDERED SUGAR??? especially don't understand these ... the whole freakin' island is covered with sugar cane!!!

taxes are one thing (a necessary evil) ... but random irrelevant taxation is another.

in the words of Jimmy Buffett:
"... just another $hitty day in paradise."

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You are on "A Fool's Errand" if you are trying to find LOGIC in any Dominican idea!
ESPECIALLY a government idea!
You know, the government that built the "METRO" rather than give the people electricity,water, healthcare, and an education!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This may be the most idiotic Government plan of all the idiotic Government plans I've heard in the years I've been here...

Maybe the next new tax will be on Education... "Only rich people want their kids to go to school".

or Healthcare.... "Only rich people want to continue living".

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I wander if the importers who seem to be the only ones benefiting by the ccafta agreement have to pay as well ?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Sorry, waytogo, I did not know that you only cut and paste, I thought that you had some kind of inside track to these pieces you publicise. There was a thread not long ago about people trying to find peanut oil- no solutions though. None of my local supermarkets stock any brand of peanut oil.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They could try to station a tax-man at the bottom of the Jarabacoa road on the turn-off at La Vega :) - then you as a client pay added taxes on those big boxes of strawberries you get from uphill country :)

Nah, too many rich and too many politicians have fincas and homes near Jarabacoa. It will end up as a tax free zone.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Sorry, waytogo, I did not know that you only cut and paste, I thought that you had some kind of inside track to these pieces you publicize. There was a thread not long ago about people trying to find peanut oil- no solutions though. None of my local supermarkets stock any brand of peanut oil.

I rarely post news, but when Don brought this to my attention I thought it to be important to post.
There is ONLY one person with dr1 that has an inside track and is all knowing in every matter know to man.............
He has so much wisdom that even God has to make an appointment with him when seeking advise and council............
Even the light of sun pales against his brilliance..........
Have to take a "P"...........be right back.........

B in Santiago

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Don't tax the food. If the government wants to tax, then tax alcohol products, beers, wine, rum, and ect with the 8%. Then take away the perks for the politicians.

Regards,

PJT

PJT