Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More taxes on your food in paradise

Now it appears that everyone will soon be paying taxes on LUXURY FOODS......
    At this rate, we will soon be paying a "right to breath tax"............
    Here's a link plus an English translation..............

Al menos 78 productos serķan gravados con 8% del ITBIS - Hoy Digital

Today / JUAN Fana.

September 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
    At least 78 products would be taxed at 8% of the VAT
    RD $ 60.208 MM levied, RD $ 45.732 MM from fees and administrative RD $ 14.476
    Written by: Odalis MEJIA (o.mejia @ hoy.com.do)
    At least 78 products from vegetables, fruits and cereals are among the consumer goods would be taxed at a rate of 8% of the VAT, under the allegation that are consumed mostly by high income individuals.
    This represents a progressive increase in state revenue because they will be consumed by the wealthy, as recorded in the tax reform proposal developed by the Central Bank, the Finance Ministry and the Directorate General of Internal Taxes (DGII) and seeks to raise RD $ 60.208 million.
    Of this amount, $ 45.732 RD concept would be obtained by new taxes or increased RD $ 14.476 and other administrative measures.
    Products. In the list of suggested items to be taxed ITBIS are: peanut oil, peanut butter, other fats, palm oil, coconut and butter.
    Also molasses, powdered sugar, sugar substitutes (substitutes) and liquid sugar.
    Among cereals include rice super elite or premium, wheat, rice cereal, fruit, corn on the cob packaging, wheat germ, paddy, wheat semolina.
    As fruits are papaya, pineapple, apples, red grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe, sapote, tangerine, pear.
    Other products in the list are plantain flour, evaporated milk and reinforced with iron and minerals (infant formula), leaf cheese, cream type, Danish, Dutch, vitamin attachments milks, cheese ball.

Adding more info, may be duplicates of items above

The products they are considering are peanut oil, peanut butter, other edible oils, African palm oil, coconut oil, butter, molasses, icing sugar, sugar substitutes and liquid sugar.

The cereals include premium rice, wheat, rice and fruit cereals, corn flour, wheat germ, brown rice and semolina. The fruits include papaya, pineapple, apples, red grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe melon, sapodilla, mandarin oranges and pears. Other products on the list are plantain flour, evaporated milk, some types of cheese, and milk with added vitamins. Also disinfectants, fabric softeners, religious and self help books, ice creams, cakes, cookies, sliced bread, brown bread, cassava bread, cup cakes and pizza.

The list also includes whole wheat pasta, tagliatelle, lasagna, frozen fish fillets, steak, some types of fresh fish, goat, some types of ham, broccoli, beetroot, peppers, nutmeg, cress, aniseed and chickpeas.

The proposed taxation would penalize consumers of healthy foods.

B in Santiago

Don, Santiagodr brought this info to my attention.........Thank you Don
    Last edited by waytogo; 09-14-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added more foods to list, may be duplicates

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Try to raise a healthy baby and they will tax you on it.

.... evaporated milk and reinforced with iron and minerals (infant formula)
    Keep the population weak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

By the time the IMF gets through with them. Sh*t is about to roll down hill. I promise you. You will be taxed to take a wiz

4. Likes Criss Colon, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barker1964 View Post
    By the time the IMF gets through with them. Sh*t is about to roll down hill. I promise you. You will be taxed to take a wiz
    Damn, I hope not...........
    I live in En Sueno and the whole barrio is downhill............
    And I live smack dab in the middle............
    Better get my $HIT KICKERS on...........lol

B in Santiago

6. Likes barker1964, SantiagoDR liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Both you , waytogo, and the dr1 news sheet mention higher taxes on peanut oil but nobody says what the brand name is nor where it can be bought!!!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I certainly can understand the logic of taxing ANY product which is IMPORTED

but to tax ANY product which is FRESH fruit or a fresh vegetable which is produced here

well... that is stupid

What I would really like to see, before they RAISE the TAXES

is for them to LOWER the ridiculously high salaries of the government officials. particularly the legislators who only work for about six months a year

9. Likes waytogo, bronzeallspice liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

wait, maybe that it is a good thing that they only work six months ayear .. they probably do more damage than good..

11. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by granca View Post
    Both you , waytogo, and the dr1 news sheet mention higher taxes on peanut oil but nobody says what the brand name is nor where it can be bought!!!
    I personally, lol, have nothing to do with the taxes on these food items.........
    I JUST cut and paste what was presented in the news.................
    Please don't shoot the messenger...........
    Also, why would the news break it down to brand names and sales locations..........
    Sorry, but your statement makes absolutly no sense............to me anyways....

B in Santiago
    Last edited by waytogo; 09-15-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in collecting from the farmers or little fruiteras.

14. Likes Jumbo, MerengueDutchie liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see the "Logic" in taxing "anything" that is "imported, especially with the "Free Trade Agreement" signed by the DR.
    Peanut oil is sold in supermarkets evrywhere in the DR. I only buy "Canola Oil" as it is one of the ways I try to get my family to eat "Better".I also buy skim milk powder, and skim milk in boxes for everyone to drink.
    Now, if I could just eliminate, "Fried cheese, salami,potatoes,plantanos, and every other "Fried Food", sugar, and salt, from their diet, I could get somewhere.
    As is always the case here, the government, and everyone else, looks for a short term gain, as opposed to a long term benefit!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

16. Likes CaptnGlenn, caribmike liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast