Cultural Activities In Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The joint entrepreneurs (UMPC), with support from the municipal government has recently launched a cultural guide with map of Sos?a. The coordinator of UMPC, Carolina G?mez, presented the guide with accompanying map in restaurant Tropical to a large audience. Among the audience were Mayor Ilana Neumann, entrepreneurs and commanders of the police and air force. Moreover, there were also representatives of the Japanese agency. At the presentation Carolina G?mez emphasized that Sos?a has much more to offer than just sun and beach.[/h][h=5]Sos?a has emerged in recent years as a cultural center of the north coast. Mayor Ilana Neumann endorsed these words and pointed out to the various cultural activities that have taken place in Sos?a in recent years. But also that the province Puerto Plata, of which Sos?a is part of, has a lot of cultural attractions to offer to the visitors. The guide with accompanying map, has to show the culturally interested visitor the way to these activities and attractions. The next cultural event will be on 28, 29 and 30 September. Then for the second time the Multicultural Gourmet festival will take place in Sos?a and the festival will be closed with a performance by the nationally renowned merengue band Sergio Vargas.[/h]

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Right !!! Sosua is just brimming with sophistication and culture. I can see the headlines now "New York,London, Paris, Milan and SOSUA"

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Right !!! Sosua is just brimming with sophistication and culture. I can see the headlines now "New York,London, Paris, Milan and SOSUA"

There's plenty of culture in Sosua if you know where to look...

vxep3n.jpg

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken,
Where can you obtain a copy of this publication ? I have tried at the Turism Office in the same Plaza as Edenorte but they say they dont have any copies and to go to Producto Sosua who also dont have copies !

Any ideas where to get a copy !!

Olly and the Team

Aug 21, 2007
If you want a copy of this publication, have you gone to Tropicial to see whether they have any?

I know this topic is now open game for those who wish to bash Sosua. If that is what brings you happiness, so be it.

Please know, there are many families living here. These are people who contribute to the town, both economically and socially. Sorry, no, they are not on Pedro Clisante at night. They send their children to one of the private schools here. They are involved in North Coast business of some sort. They support, financially and socially, those activities that are family oriented. Most don't have time or interest in debates on this message board.

If you don't know this, don't know any of these individuals, don't know of the schools or don't support the countless school activities, nor appreciate all the volunteer work these people have done to support their social groups, the tourists, and the poor here on the North Coast and if you choose to write about the other night time activities here, then I guess that speaks for either your personal choices or your ignorance.

The mayor, organized groups, business owners, retirees, and families are working hard, mostly on a volunteer basis to make the North Coast a place for all.....a place where families have activities for their children....a place where educated adults have occasional activities that interest them....a place where retirees have a life beyond the bars....a place where tourists can come and find the vacation diversion they are seeking.....and a place where those coming for night life can also find their entertainment.

Please remember that bashing the North Coast doesn't meet anyone's needs who lives and seeks a livelihood in the DR. It may give you that ego trip, feeling superior because you live in a city or in a campo or somewhere that you are isolated from whatever activity you find undesirable here.

But, isn't life in this wonderful, diverse country better if we simple applaud each others diversity, efforts to find happiness, and willingness to invest time, money and effort to support what we believe and love? Isn't it easier on us all if we just accept each other?

Isn't that one reason why we all came here in the first place?

Lindsey

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
no Lindsay your right , however airlines are dumping the north coast , one of the reasons is that the hotels all inclusive have not kept up their renovations to compete with punta Cana , and many family visitors have complained through their tour operators SOSUA is a sewer at night ! They come to Cabarete and wished they had booked here In Cabarete . SOSUA has potential ,however the stigma of 25 years takes some laundering to clean the history of a incredible tourist site that has been so MISMANAGED for so long . however I do applaud the new mayor and the cajones to operate there . the waterfront with that recently new beachfront( that appeared a few years back after a storm and shift in plates on the ocean floor looks great now with the renovations ! Lots of potential , a name change wouldn't hurt either With the history it's had publicized over the years thats the first order of the day I would had done ! Lol

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
If SOSUA takes as long to evolve as the electrical problem to be corrected sans Ladrones and our celebrators of perrenial corrupcion , then ..... However there are a lot of good people surrounding SOSUA . . I VOTE FOR YOU LINDSEY but the Cartrights might need to come to town too ...

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Lindsay, well spoken, but Sosua is still primarily a sex tourism destination. Secondarily, it is a sex destination for wealthy Dominican men. A distant third is the virtually non-existent Sosua Bay/Casa Marina crowd and the 70% abandoned Playa Dorada resorts which cater to Canadian and Euro tourists on a budget. Fourth are Dominican families who venture to budget hotels and the beach on Sundays. The expat crowd may have the means to make change, but they will never be the end.

I feel ya Lindsay...a lot of people are doing good things in Sosua, but it is what it is.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
They come to Cabarete and wished they had booked here In Cabarete.

Funny cause I usually hear the opposite. People book in Cabarete, come to Sosua and then wish they would have booked in Sosua instead. If you like a big beach and kite surfing then Cabarete is fine, but where else can you go? It's a one street town. When people come to Sosua from Cabarete they love the fact they can walk for many blocks, see many stores, restaurants, bars and still enjoy a great beach. There is just much more culture in Sosua than in Cabarete. I personally don't like Cabarete at all....also very over priced.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i'm gonna be serious for one moment. where can you find info on the history of sosua in town ? i never see anything that resembles history in el batey.

now, back to my regularly scheduled ***hole comments......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen up, sosua ain't a culture capital of the world. and no, kids presenting dr seuss play in primary school does not count. it has nothing to do with sosua being a puta mecca of DR, putas often follow art anyways. it has all to do with the fact that sosua does not have any infrastructure to support cultural events.
no reason why it could not host a yearly indie film festival. oh, wait, there is, no cinema in sosua. no reason why it could not host a classical music feast of the caribbean. oh, wait, no concert hall.
and frankly, ilana has other, far more pressing things to do than promote nonexisting intellectual heights of sosua's art world. building any kind of structure to present cultural events would burn a hole in sindico's budget.

i loved the site about sosua settlers, btw. spent last night reading family stories. very interesting!