halth incurance for non resident

Jacob Taler

Aug 26, 2012
hi i stay arund 5 month a year in d,r as a tourist , which incurance company i can use in the d.r with out a resident visa , thanks for any informtion , i nead a halth incurance that will cover my halth thanks

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
hi i stay arund 5 month a year in d,r as a tourist , which incurance company i can use in the d.r with out a resident visa , thanks for any informtion , i nead a halth incurance that will cover my halth thanks

I presume you mean-Health/Medical Insurance?

I suggest ARS Humanos as they covered me long before I received my residency.

Jacob Taler

Aug 26, 2012
hi expat13 yes i mean halth medical insurance for 1 year for a insurance company that i can use if i get six or i nead a hospital alost every country in the world do it , nurmaly to resident , thanks for any informtion

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I maybe wrong but i think health insurance in the DR ONLY will cover you here, not elsewhere in the world. I know my Universal policy is only good here.

Bob K

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do you need a dominican "halth" insurance to cover you when you are here? ars universal and ars humano are the best and both can be obtained without residency. you will need to meet with agents to discuss the details. i suggest you take someone who speaks spanish or english with you so that you understand what is being said.

if you are looking for a "halth" plan that will cover you wherever you may travel to look into BUPA worldwide health options: Worldwide Health Options - the flexible international health insurance | Bupa International | Bupa International
costly, i am sure, but it works.

Jacob Taler

Aug 26, 2012
hi thanks for the informtion , i nead halth incurance only in d.r , for 1 year during my stay in d.r

Feb 7, 2007
Jacob, one important thing is, that there is waiting period in a health insurance in the DR, UNLESS you have emergency OR you contribute to TSS and have health insurance via your employer via TSS. Usually, waiting period is: emergency - immediately (most of health insurance, but some have waiting period 1 month), lab work and doctor's consultations (outpatient care) - 1 month or 2 months, specialized exams - 3 to 6 months, ambulatory procedures - 6 months, and elective (meaning non-emergency) surgery 12 months. What this means is that during the first 12 month of your health insurance you can basically only get covered minor health incidents and emergency care, and any emergency surgery that may arise out of the emergency situation. Anything that is non life-threatening and can be postponed will NOT be covered by th DR health insurance in the first 12 months of your plan, for voluntary (private) plans.

IF you have residency, and cedula, AND are employee (even by your own company) you can (and should when employed) contribute to TSS (tesoreria de seguridad social) and you will get BASIC health plan with immediate coverage (1200 pesos room, 90% up to 1800, 80% of inpatient and outpatient care, pharmacy, etc.). Not only you but your spouse as well, as well as any underage children, without paying and additional contributions.

But the VERY NICE POINT comes here that you can pay a SUPPLEMENT (very minor cost) and you will get additional coverage. For example, with ARS CONSTITUCION (the 4th largest health insurance company) you get TSS coverage (same in all insurace companies) but for a supplement of RD$100 per month you get same coverage as their 2nd best private plan, and for RD$200 per month supplement get coverage same as their best private plan.

Health insurance via TSS contributions PLUS a supplement through a private insurance IS MUCH MUCH BETTER than any PRIVATE VOLUNTARY health insurance plan. ALSO, there are NO WAITING PERIODS, meaning after you start contributing to TSS and get your insurance card, you can undergo open-heart surgery without any waiting period!!!! With a private insurance plan (in the same health insurance company) you would need to wait 12 months.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Health insurance policies in the DR are very picky if you are age 60 or older. If so expect to pay a lot and be very carefully looked over. If they will even issue a policy you may expect that there will be a ton of exclusions. If it was me I would take the short hop to Miami and US hospitals. While it is possible to find comparable treatment it takes some looking and if you are sick it will be hard to do. I have been treated in DR hospitals including HOMS and treated in the US and imho I will take the US hospitals if only for their greater efforts at infection control. Having the choice I would opt to have a plane ticket in my pocket instead of a Dominican health plan. Good luck