Best hair cut in Sosua / Cabarete?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I was wondering if there is any new information on the hair styling scene for the North Coast. Last year I found Daniela at Las Canas in Sosua. I had ok hair cuts before in the DR, but she was very good. Not only could I get a great haircut but I could make an appointment. Unfortunately she left for Germany last spring.

Any suggestions about where I could get a great hair cut - someone that takes appointments (not walk-ins)?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Appointments rare in this country because Dominicans are not very good about being somewhere at the designated time

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
There is one in Cabarete, Ocean Dream Plaza I think, next to Gorditos, that makes appointments, and is considered to be quite good.

BelgianK

Aug 21, 2007
Andreas in Sosua is good. You MUST have an appointment with him. He isn't cheap...more like US pricing. I also heard of a place in Cabarete that gives great haircuts....on the main road. It is run by Eastern Europeans. I am told they don't offer good customer service/communication skills, but they do a super job cutting hair at a decent price. Don't remember the name, but I will ask friends this afternoon.

Lindsey

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Since years I am very satisfied with the work of Ana - Salon Ana , oppsite bakery Dick in Cabarete.:bunny:

You can come in without appointment - in case she is free, o.k.
And sometimes I did an appointment.

Moderate price

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Thanks for the input.

I did go to Ana in Cabarete before finding Daniela, but unless you were having more than just a hair cut, she would not make an appointment and often she was busy when you got there - but Ana is very nice and the walk in thing works for her. Her clients were mainly expats and she is Eastern European so that could be the place Lindsey has heard about.

Last edited:

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Suzanne from the Munich area bought the business from Daniela at Las Canas and takes and honors appointments. Dhe is just as professional as Daniela. 829-632-9706 is the new phone number.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Las Canas is up the La Mulata Road just outside Sosua on the road to Cabarete. It is a condo/apartment complex.

I will try Suzanne when I return in November. Thanks. And now I have some other options thanks to those who posted a reply.

Jan 17, 2009
Ana cuts men hair too. She's absolutely a great hairdresser. I had never been happy with a hairdresser after my second visit. Yet, I have going to Ana's for four year, every month or so, and always left happy. Her salon is not espectacular but she is. I once went to the salons at Ocean Dream. Swear would never set foot in that place again. The hairdresser there, a Dominican woman, totally destroyed my hair with a razor! And I couldnt get her to stop.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the trannie place in sosua isnt bad, sort of a half way house- tambo goes there and his hair looks nice

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Second vote for Andreas, located next to Mori Mai and above Patricks Silversmiths. Andreas is top notch. He also cuts mens hair...does mine in about 10 seconds thanks to the crap falling outta my head so fast. Anyhow, check him out 809-571-2597.

He also invented a line of cosmetics that are now sold in all the Hilton Spa's.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You are wrong on the generalization, I don't know about Ana, but I have walked into salones in La Vega, Santiago as well as Puerto Plata and the women have always told where to go to a barbero. I've tried several dozen in all. Ask the gal next time you have your hair done and she what she says.
Thanks
Der Fish

Very strange, as I have had my hair cut by a dozen or so different women over the years, in almost as many salons, in Sosua, Cabarete, Puerto Plata and Santiago...and have never even been hinted at that they didn't want to cut my hair.

What kind of hair do you have that Dominican women don't want to touch it?? :ninja:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Not much at all, just a fringe around the edges. They always say that I should go to a barber.
Der Fish

Ask Ken where he gets tuned up!
mr-burns.jpg

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The best barbershop is right next to the pica pollo on the main highway.. called "el chopo" stylez!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bunch of metrosexuals, you :)
and there i was thinking a real man would just keep it neat and very short. but you dudes have actual haircuts. gee. what is this world coming to? i make less fuss about my hair :) :cool:

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
barber shops often don't disinfect their combs .... and the probability to get fungus is high. For men i would recommend a Salon for women they charge between 200 and 300 pesos and a barber shop about 100 pesos.....
The salon at Casa Marina is very professional and they work with appointment. Also they have A/C :)