UK citizen travelling to the US

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I havent been to the US for a number of years now but understand that there is a new system in place.
I know there is a visa-waiver agreement between the US and the UK and i assume this makes no difference if coming from a 3rd party country such as the DR...true?
And i also gather that one has to pre-apply online for the service? How do i do this...and is it best to do this before buying the airline ticket even?

Thanks

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I would assume that it doesnt matter where you fly from, who you are is the important matter. If you are a UK citizen then I would ASSUME that you need the ESTA.

USA Visa Information | Visit USA

see note 8
USA entry procedures have changed and UK travellers to the USA under the Visa Waiver Scheme must now complete the I-94W form online using the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) system - for more details, please visit our ESTA page

might be a good idea to call the office to check, but it says UK travellers-ie UK Passport holders

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I havent been to the US for a number of years now but understand that there is a new system in place.
I know there is a visa-waiver agreement between the US and the UK and i assume this makes no difference if coming from a 3rd party country such as the DR...true?
And i also gather that one has to pre-apply online for the service? How do i do this...and is it best to do this before buying the airline ticket even?

Thanks

You can travel from the DR if you have a passport with an electronic chip in it. You need to register here:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

The website that "davetuna" posted here is not good. Please use the official "US Department of Homeland Security" wedsite.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
and if you dont have an electronic chip??

Read the link I posted here, it is your friend.

Visa Waiver Program requirements are:
  • The passport must have a machine-readable zone on the biographic page.
  • Issued on or after October 26, 2005 ? Each Visa Waiver Program passport issued on or after this date must have a digital photo.
  • Issued on or after October 26, 2006 ? Each Visa Waiver Program passport issued on or after this date must be an electronic passport with a digital chip containing biometric information about the passport owner.
EXCEPTION: To be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, persons presenting United Kingdom passports must possess the unrestricted right of permanent abode in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
So, it is not true that you need a biometric passport if your current passport was issued before oct 2006 which mine was.

Thanks anyway guys...looks like im set to travel.

anything to see in New york? ;)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
So, it is not true that you need a biometric passport if your current passport was issued before oct 2006 which mine was.

Take the ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island, it's free and you get to see the Statue of the Liberty and city most iconic buildings.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

Loads of Dominicans... lol

BelgianK

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ezequiel.

Nice official type post - thanks.
Pity about Staten Island though - going to see the French Statue of Liberty!
Olly

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
So let me get this straight if you have a UK passport you have to apply for the waiver?? My Bermudian passport does not require this and its a UK teritories passport but my UK passport Id need the waiver ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have friend who went out a couple of months ago and didnt get the online form......well she EVENTUALLY was let in, but only after a five hour interview. so buyer beware!

do your own due diligence.

No need to -- just read Ezequiel's post.... the definitive answer...........:speechles