caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Why a sugar producing country has to import sugar? :mad:

Maybe the added sand made it cheaper than the homegrown? :tired:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DR is a very forthcoming country that offers condiments for people suffering from pica. our salami is enriched with feces and sugar with silica. a unique propoundment for those with unique palates.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you should be avoiding sugar like the plague anyway. There is an artificial sweetener called Splenda that you cannot distinguish from sugar. Its pricey in the DR but worth it. And I have never found any sand in it. Great word "propoundment"!!!!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
you should be avoiding sugar like the plague anyway. There is an artificial sweetener called Splenda that you cannot distinguish from sugar. Its pricey in the DR but worth it. And I have never found any sand in it. Great word "propoundment"!!!!!

Splenda tastes nothing like sugar......................

SHALENA
Sugar Addict

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Quite often in the past there were big payoffs for destroying or removing crops to get big corruption payoffs from importers . WHERE HERE IN THE DR????

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
sugar isnt that bad as long as one cleans ones teeth- everything in moderation, apart from splenda which is un-natural

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in our house we use very little sugar: few spoons for baking and few spoons for hongos tibicos. and i will always take sugar over any artificial sweetener.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Agree with Sking, Splenda does not taste like Sugar to me and I really don't like the taste, not to mention the potential cancer producing effects. I've worked in a place that packages it and let me tell you that stuff is nasty. It just clings to your pores, clothes, etc...If you're going to have sugar your best bet is to use unrefined brown sugar...even better substitute the sugar with honey (Nature's sugar) whenever possible.

Bottom line is anything that tastes good or feels good or is either immoral, illegal or fattening :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
like jr said: everything in moderation. both sugar and salt, labeled as evil are essential for human health.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A pound of sugar lasts for months in our house, mainly consumed by guests who take it in their coffee. I once accompanied one of my SILs on her weekly supermarket shop and she bought what for me would have been a lifetime supply. I dislike the taste of splenda too - our sweetener of choice is honey.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Honey, all the way.....

We mix milk, honey and hot choc for the coffee every day

Try tha Shalena, you can make it as sweet as you want -- way better than sugar and natural

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
you should be avoiding sugar like the plague anyway.!!

That is impossible, sugar is in everything, even sugar free stuff has sugar in at some level. Trying to live without the intake of sugar is like a vegan trying to abstain from the use of animal products, it is impossible. A true vegan does not exist in modern society, IMO.
Anyway, you need sugar to live, don't you?

And besides that, if it wasn't for sugar I am sure my addiction to coca cola and Snickers bars would not be so strong, an therefor my life would be less fulfilled. Sugar is good if you don't mind the waistline.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
these days there are far worse things in your food than plain old sugar. sugarcane has been known for thousands of years. and let's not forget it is used for the production of ron :) and the best moonshine comes from nothing but sugar, water and yeast. honey has great antiseptic and antibacterial properties.

i could never understand people advocating giving up sugar and salt. both natural, both essential for health and well being. yes, i know both are cleverly labeled and hidden in your food and drink. but alas, life without them would be impossible. and very tasteless :)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I should have known better. Is the s...storm over? Yes, sugar is in many foods and in many forms. I like Splenda, lots of people I know like Splenda and agree that its great. The US FDA looks closely at foods and determines what is safe. I think its safe. I try to not add refined sugar to anything I eat and instead use Spenda. It works for me, been using it for years.
Its nearly impossible to avoid sugar as its in everything including milk. IMHO, less is better-for me. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!!! I will try to stop offering unsolicited advice here.