Blackberry BBM Question

Kathyaa586

Mar 23, 2011
I have a Blackberry with Claro and I wondered if when I go to Canada if I can use the BBM without charge if I am on WIFI.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, you can, if you keep on paying the BB plan you have in DR. It worked for me while I was briefly abroad this summer. Email, BBM, web-browsing... Only the Facebook app was unreliable...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I don't think you can use BBM only on WIFI!

orange bb service works for me on wifi only when i travel to the u.s. email, chat, foto transfers, whatsapp, etc

i am set up for roaming in the u.s. and on rare occassions will turn the celular service on when wifi's not available. it works well, too... but ive not tested roaming costs with large data transfers or numerous phone calls. for minimal use, i dont see a noticeable bump in my bill after a trip. so small, that ive never bothered to check what the charges actually were.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
orange bb service works for me on wifi only when i travel to the u.s. email, chat, foto transfers, whatsapp, etc

i am set up for roaming in the u.s. and on rare occassions will turn the celular service on when wifi's not available. it works well, too... but ive not tested roaming costs with large data transfers or numerous phone calls. for minimal use, i dont see a noticeable bump in my bill after a trip. so small, that ive never bothered to check what the charges actually were.

It does? That's great! So you still need to have the sim card on?
I am on Claro. I haven't traveled with a Blackberry but I've traveled to the US and Canada on roaming and the result has always been the same: Big phone bill! Even it if is for a few days and I didn't use the phone much.

Feb 7, 2007
IT DEPENDS on which BB model you have. Older models, for example, did only support web browsing on WiFi and any RIM service (mail, BBM, etc.) was not accessible via WiFi.

On newer models, all direct RIM applications (including mail, BBM, PIN messages, etc.) are available via WiFi. Some third party apps (including Gmail, Google Maps, etc.) will not work via WiFi. In that case, to access Gmail on Wifi I suggest using Lohic Mail, a free app.

Kathyaa586

Mar 23, 2011
Thanks so much for all the answers. I wanted to make sure I'm not going to be hit by a huge bill when I get back.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
IT DEPENDS on which BB model you have. Older models, for example, did only support web browsing on WiFi and any RIM service (mail, BBM, etc.) was not accessible via WiFi.

On newer models, all direct RIM applications (including mail, BBM, PIN messages, etc.) are available via WiFi. Some third party apps (including Gmail, Google Maps, etc.) will not work via WiFi. In that case, to access Gmail on Wifi I suggest using Lohic Mail, a free app.

Hey, is there anything in particular you have to set up to make BBM work on wifi?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Hey, is there anything in particular you have to set up to make BBM work on wifi?

I would say, first make sure to turn off your cell phone network, and only leave the wifi network on. Then, if you are subscribed to a BB plan somewhere, it should just work.

If you are not paying any BB plan anywhere, you should use Opera Mini to browse the web, check your email and so on... No BBM for non-paying customers...

I'm off to Android as soon as I can ;)