You Know You're Dominican If

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
1.You grew up afraid of something called "EL CUCO"

2.You clap your hands while laughing.

3.People tell you to stop screaming when you're really talking.

4.You've gotten beat with any of the following:rubber slippers,
extension cord,hangers(plastic or metal) big rice spoon,etc.

5.You've gone outside in rolos and chancletas.

6.You waste all your money in the summer time buying
"frio-frio" RED FLAVOR.

7.You consider platanos one of the major food groups.

8.While in your country,you hear people on the block yelling
"se fue la luz".Then you also hear "llego la luz".

9.Your dad or uncle claim to be dead broke,yet rock a cell phone
and is laced with mad gold around his neck or wrist.

10.Your sofas are covered in plastic.

11.You've gotten whipped by a diablo cojuelo or lechon.

12.You eat mangu on a daily basis.

13.You ate rice,beans and some type of meat yesterday,today
and you probably will tomorrow.

14.You use an old t-shirt,towel,or anything as a mop,and use your
feet to mop.

15.Your refrigerator has about 85 magnets.

16.All your pots and pans are in the oven.

17.Your local colmado does credit plans(fiao)

18.A frosted beer to you is vestida de novia or una fria.

19Your parents gave you aceite de bacalao when you were sick.

20.If you're in a 4-passenger car,you got 7 people in it,and some
one yelling"Caben ma!"

21.If you use platanos and coconuts for decorations.

22.If you saywords like...Razor is GILE....Feminine Pads are KOTE....
Vicks Vapo Rub is Vivaporu....T-Shirts are POLOCHE....Watchman is....
GUACHIMAN...Garbage is EL Gabish...Cereal is CONFLE

(Yea you all know you do it!):)

Feel free to add more.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
These are always fun...

A few more:
- You just loooove "Morir sonando"
- When you were little "te curaron el empacho"...sorry don't know how to translate this one.
- You call your cat "miso"...my American Maine Coon completely understands that
- You love "Habichuelas Con Dulce"
- You know what "Agua de Florida" is and what it is used for
- If you're a woman "Lemisol" is your best friend...
- You use animal comparisons in your vocabulary on a regular basis "i.e. Caballo, ese tiguere ta culebro...el cree que es un toro, pero eso me tiene chivo"
- You gotta have "Con Con" with your rice and beans
- If you're scared to jump into the shower or open the fridge if you're sweaty
etc
etc
etc

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
To elaborate on no. 22: McDonalds is MA DONA, 7-up is CEBENO (I got a bill from the Colmado once with that as product description)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Your bra size is half your breast size.

Your Butt size is twice your knicker size.

You have never paid a bill of any kind.

You know people will accept your lies as easy as your truth.

You cured your relatives cancer with Vics vapour rub, toothache and depression also acceptable.

1 means several or all.

You have an impulse to go to the salon, have your hair done and then put a mesh cap over it, take it off for 5 minutes and styling it appropriately last thing at night for 5 minutes, then wrap it up again for bed.

Believe bleach is what all white clothes should be washed in.

Consider ironing clothes prior to the day you want use them is abnormal.

Can stubborn out any gringo in an argument.

Talk sit, constantly whenever silence could be blissful.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I know your a Dominican when my phone rings only once.:classic: Or I get those service messages that says you have no minutes. What a surprise as you own a BB, I Phone, or a Galaxy. I make them wait several hours or more. Then they always get so upset and ask me why I took so long to call them back:laugh:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I know your a Dominican when my phone rings only once.:classic: Or I get those service messages that says you have no minutes. What a surprise as you own a BB, I Phone, or a Galaxy. I make them wait several hours or more. Then they always get so upset and ask me why I took so long to call them back:laugh:

Oh yes, Dominican ladies do love to "bipearte" so you call them back (pa'que la llame pa'tra')

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
* You freely pee on the side of the road, not important which road
* You make multiple trips a day to the colmado
* You buy one roll of toilet paper at a time
* You can easily sleep through high decibel levels, moto with no muffler, dogs, roosters, etc..
* Going out for pizza equates to a nice dinner out
* Your real birthday is different than what's on your birth certificate and/or cedula

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
1. You stop at the gas station everyday, but only put $50 pesos worth of gas in the tank. Why? because you never know when your car or motorcycle is going to break down.
2. You think when lime, honey, and rum are combined, they can cure a cold or cancer.
3. you think when the tempature dips below 70f you will be suseptible to catching a cold or the flu.
4. you think witches fly around on a broom sticks at night.
5. you think Jesus has appeared several times in your village or the village next door.
6. you think changing oil and air filters are a waste of money.
7. you think condoms are for stupid people.
8. you think taking lots of medicines is healthy for you and will outweigh any poor diet or sedentary lifestyle.
9. you think getting your hair wet in the rain will result in catching a cold or the flu.
10. you think math is a waste of energy.
11. you think telling the truth and being honest is a waste of oxygen.
12. you think carrying a gun makes you a man.
13. you think having a pair of new jeans and leather shoes in 100 degree heat is smart.
14. you think soap operas (Novellas) are real, and that the actors are not acting.
15. you think Big Time Wrestling is real.
16. you think a US $60 imported Sushi knife makes a good can opener...even if someone has given you a real can opener.
17. You think when someone tells you that they love you, and only you, that they are telling the truth...despite the fact that they have a wife and family.
18. you think when someone says, "Can you Loan me money," that they intend on paying it back.
19. you think new tires on your car or motorcycle is a waste of money.

Frank

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
1. You stop at the gas station everyday, but only put $50 pesos worth of gas in the tank. Why? because you never know when your car or motorcycle is going to break down.
2. You think when lime, honey, and rum are combined, they can cure a cold or cancer.
3. you think when the tempature dips below 70f you will be suseptible to catching a cold or the flu.
4. you think witches fly around on a broom sticks at night.
5. you think Jesus has appeared several times in your village or the village next door.
6. you think changing oil and air filters are a waste of money.
7. you think condoms are for stupid people.
8. you think taking lots of medicines is healthy for you and will outweigh any poor diet or sedentary lifestyle.
9. you think getting your hair wet in the rain will result in catching a cold or the flu.
10. you think math is a waste of energy.
11. you think telling the truth and being honest is a waste of oxygen.
12. you think carrying a gun makes you a man.
13. you think having a pair of new jeans and leather shoes in 100 degree heat is smart.
14. you think soap operas (Novellas) are real, and that the actors are not acting.
15. you think Big Time Wrestling is real.
16. you think a US $60 imported Sushi knife makes a good can opener...even if someone has given you a real can opener.
17. You think when someone tells you that they love you, and only you, that they are telling the truth...despite the fact that they have a wife and family.
18. you think when someone says, "Can you Loan me money," that they intend on paying it back.
19. you think new tires on your car or motorcycle is a waste of money.

Frank

i can especially relate to the one about the knife. i had a 75 dollar chef's knife, and a female guest at my home used it to open a can of tomato paste. that was the last time we ever exchanged words. why? because she could not understand what i was getting so upset about. haven't seen her since.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
20. You think that music that has enough decibels to smash storefront windows attracts customers.
21. You think that because plantains and rice are a vegetable and fruit that they're the perfect diet foods.
22. You think that if you play the lottery long enough it's only a matter of time before you hit it big.
23. You think that drinking a lot of alcohol on Sunday night makes more sense than Friday or Saturday.
24. You think that the word "Virgin" is incomprehensible.
25. You think that if you drop out of school and have babies your problems will go away.
26. You think that its smart to buy a car with less passenger space in order to fit stereo speakers the size of refrigerators.
27. You think that gringos are stupid and selfish for wasting money but you pretend that you like them in order to get them to waste money on you.
28. You think that there are hundreds of foods or drinks that cure impedence and cause erections--honey, lime, rum, cilantro, roots, herbs--to name but a few.
29. You think your 2 year-old daughter grinding like like a stripper to music with sexual inuedos is adorable.
30. You use a thousand expressions and slang words for the word sex but you only have one for love.
31. You think that when you have your first menstrual period that it's time to have children.
32. You think that school is place that you go to until 8th grade.
33. You believe all rumors as gossip and want to share it with everyone else without double checking their truthfulness or validity.
34. You believe that if you drive faster it is safer because you can avoid would-be accidents more quickly.
35. You think headlights are unnecessay because the moon reflects enough light for you to see.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
20. You think that music that has enough decibels to smash storefront windows attracts customers.
21. You think that because plantains and rice are a vegetable and fruit that they're the perfect diet foods.
22. You think that if you play the lottery long enough it's only a matter of time before you hit it big.
23. You think that drinking a lot of alcohol on Sunday night makes more sense than Friday or Saturday.
24. You think that the word "Virgin" is incomprehensible.
25. You think that if you drop out of school and have babies your problems will go away.
26. You think that its smart to buy a car with less passenger space in order to fit stereo speakers the size of refrigerators.
27. You think that gringos are stupid and selfish for wasting money but you pretend that you like them in order to get them to waste money on you.
28. You think that there are hundreds of foods or drinks that cure impedence and cause erections--honey, lime, rum, cilantro, roots, herbs--to name but a few.
29. You think your 2 year-old daughter grinding like like a stripper to music with sexual inuedos is adorable.
30. You use a thousand expressions and slang words for the word sex but you only have one for love.
31. You think that when you have your first menstrual period that it's time to have children.
32. You think that school is place that you go to until 8th grade.
33. You believe all rumors as gossip and want to share it with everyone else without double checking their truthfulness or validity.
34. You believe that if you drive faster it is safer because you can avoid would-be accidents more quickly.
35. You think headlights are unnecessay because the moon reflects enough light for you to see.

Do you think you are offending Dominican people with this garbage? Some of these are downright disrespectful.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Do you think you are offending Dominican people with this garbage? Some of these are downright disrespectful.

First of all, I'm dominican. My family is from Bonao. Secondly, exactly which ones do you find inacurate? I'm curious to know? Frank