ewwww! or the story of dominican innocence

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so, miesposo likes those cookies, milano, by pepperidge farm. we occasionally buy the stuff in pricesmart. yummy. out of curiosity i checked their website to see what else they have and i marveled at their frozen baked good section.

imagine my surprise when i saw some of the said cakes in la sirena today at a modest price of 199 pesos. without any ado i got a frozen chocolate cake and i proceeded to checkout. cashier looked at the box, looked at me, at the box again and asked: what is it? what do you do with it?
i said: nothing, it's ready to eat, just frozen, so you have to let it stand outside for a moment.
she was truly amazed.

i like it. in DR things are made from scratch. very few people buy frozen meals, ready to eat plates and other stuff so popular in USA/europe. i was just like this when i arrived in london.

now i feel ashamed. i should make my own cakes, damn! :(

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Oh yeah! Well i make cakes occasionally, cheesecake, poundcake and brownies, space cakes too lol The last cake i made was Black Tie Cake, 4 layer souffl? cake super yummy but very time consuming. Miesposo has a sweet-tooth, i make icecream for him as well :)

Dec 26, 2011
Oh yeah! Well i make cakes occasionally, cheesecake, poundcake and brownies, space cakes too lol The last cake i made was Black Tie Cake, 4 layer souffl? cake super yummy but very time consuming. Miesposo has a sweet-tooth, i make icecream for him as well :)

Time to make him un flan de queso.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Time to make him un flan de queso.
Good idea! He was asking for flan... I even made one but it wasnt with queso, and though it tasted good it wasnt the flan he expected :) I already found the recipe for flan de queso and im going to make it tomorrow!

Dec 26, 2011
Good idea! He was asking for flan... I even made one but it wasnt with queso, and though it tasted good it wasnt the flan he expected :) I already found the recipe for flan de queso and im going to make it tomorrow!

It's right in between the consistency of a flan and a cheesecake. Then you caramelize the bottom, which becomes the top. :)One thing I miss about my ex. Good luck!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

listen let's agree here only i have miesposo here, ok? you may have at the very best just esposo :)

and miesposo makes flan de leche and fland de coco himself. great stuff. but i alas am a total loser when it comes to baking. my cookies could serve as offensive weapons.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
To the OP I think its awesome that women in the DR dont know about Pepperidge farm cardboard tasting deserts.
Personally I would be embarassed to put something like that on my table for guests.

Jessica your husband is lucky. I would say I would like a wife who bakes like you but then I would be four hundred pounds.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
but i alas am a total loser when it comes to baking. my cookies could serve as offensive weapons.

me too :( I also grew up in a place where people make everything from scratch, including bread in a real wood oven. But living in the US - it is really hard to find time to cook everything original. And there are so many frozen food options in stores. So tempting. :(

Only borsh always stays that way. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can bake the savoury. but not sweet. and maybe like JB said: all for the better because i would be so fat :)

and good for dominicans they do not know all this western packed, frozen, pre-cooked, ready meals. yes, dominicanas use tons of sopita and sugar but they make their food from scratch. every day too. my mother has been married for over 40 years and she makes all meals at home, from zero, on the stove. i bought her a microwave but this western kitchen staple is hardly ever used.

my landlord in london had this cook book: microwave meals for one. does not happen in DR! :)

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
To the OP I think its awesome that women in the DR dont know about Pepperidge farm cardboard tasting deserts.
Personally I would be embarassed to put something like that on my table for guests.

Jessica your husband is lucky. I would say I would like a wife who bakes like you but then I would be four hundred pounds.

Haha i got my husband grow to 200lb but now i keep him on diet and he is going to gym to maintain his sexy or he will miss a lot of things if he will become my ex lol

Dec 26, 2011
Haha i got my husband grow to 200lb but now i keep him on diet and he is going to gym to maintain his sexy or he will miss a lot of things if he will become my ex lol

Isn't that rich? You force-feed the poor guy delicious desserts and then you threaten him with abandonment for going gordito on you. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that woman, not only abducted my copyright to use word miesposo but she also has no heart. no heart, i tell you! she bakes the most amazing cakes but to torture her HUSBAND (she cannot use any other word for him, i will not allow it!) she makes him diet and go to the gym.
jessica! you have no heart! only a small crusty pastry bun in its place! :) :) :)

take my advice: whenever i cook i only make enought to last one go. miesposo wants more BUT THERE IS NO MORE! and put your gym shoes on, dude, we are off to burn whatever you ate!
i have no heart either. only badly baked schliff.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I make mine in the oven too - you just place the flan pan inside a larger pan with water in it. Easy peasy.