Rats and teeth

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Those of you who follow my blog will know about Chivirico, the six year old who lives down the road. He has lost his front teeth, top and bottom, and I was talking to him about them and he said the rat has them. We have fairies in England!

He said that when they fall out you throw them in the air towards the zinc roof, and if the rat catches them then the new ones grow straight away. He told me the rat must have dropped his the first time, as the new ones haven't grown.

Any more info on rats and teeth from Dominicans out there or is this just a 6 year old's view?

Matilda

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Matilda,
Sorry I canot add to this story but rats do have teeth and they chew my generator cables - three times so far ! Now I have found that Mothballs in the generator will deter the rats!

If I find any teeth I will send them to you ! But so far only chewed cables! If I send them it will be via Via !

Olly and the Team

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Mr. AE says that 'el ratoncito Miguel' took his teeth, so it must be universally Dominican.

Yes. Actually "El ratoncito miguel (aka Mickey Mouse)" is famous in many latin american countries for taking children's teeth and returning coins in exchange.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes. Actually "El ratoncito miguel (aka Mickey Mouse)" is famous in many latin american countries for taking children's teeth and returning coins in exchange.

AH! I didn't put the ratoncito together with Mickey Mouse, thanks for the clarification. Makes the whole thing a little less scary.

I was picturing kids waiting for a rat to crawl under their pillow for the tooth. ​Ewwwwwwwwwww!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I got the impression it was a real rat living in the rafters under the zinc roof - not sweet little Mickey!

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wonder where does it come from? as a child i was not offered no magical explanation for the loss of teeth. as a child the only explanation i had was school dentist instigating fear in our little hearts. and quite a lot of fun in DIY teeth removal by the means of various strings and - mostly - own thumb.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks Ken, interesting, but this was to do with being thrown up to the roof, nothing with being left under the pillow!

Matilda

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Ken, interesting, but this was to do with being thrown up to the roof, nothing with being left under the pillow!

Matilda

I'll let you do a Google search for that one.

But all these things seem to have variations. For example, the article says Ratoncita Perez is who takes the teeth. It would be interesting to know even within the Dominican Republic how many variations there are.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I'll let you do a Google search for that one.

But all these things seem to have variations. For example, the article says Ratoncita Perez is who takes the teeth. It would be interesting to know even within the Dominican Republic how many variations there are.

Exactly. I would like to hear from Dominicans. I can Google but is not the same from hearing from the people who remember the stories from their childhoods.

Matilda

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Those of you who follow my blog will know about Chivirico, the six year old who lives down the road. He has lost his front teeth, top and bottom, and I was talking to him about them and he said the rat has them. We have fairies in England!

He said that when they fall out you throw them in the air towards the zinc roof, and if the rat catches them then the new ones grow straight away. He told me the rat must have dropped his the first time, as the new ones haven't grown.

Any more info on rats and teeth from Dominicans out there or is this just a 6 year old's view?

Matilda

You put the tooth under your pillow before you go to bed and in the morning you wake up and the little mouse has taken away the tooth and left you a coin.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I found one in the swimming pool -mouse not tooth, it was about two inches, this doesnt help with your research though as I dont think it went in looking for teeth